What's new

Good entry level fountain pen

The Pilot Prera is like the Metropolitan, however to me it is more stylish. The older style is around $30.

I'm thinking a TWSBI VAC700.

I should have probably been more specific. I own a Parker Sonnet with an 18k Nib, and I love it. But I want to start using a few different kinds of ink and I was hoping there was a pen that built with the same level of quality, but without the parker name and doesn't cost $200+. The TWSBI VAC700 looks like it'll fit the bill. Great construction, no frills, and a real workhorse of a pen.

$20150213_120318.jpgI have a Vac700 and I love it. Get the refill bottle from TWSBI also.

This is a great thread. I am so tired of using ballpoint pens, I was using a Cross but the ink collects around the edges of the tip and smears. Lately, I've been just using disposables, they seem to write better than my Cross. Anyway, I had some Varsity disposable fountain pens, they were not that great. I'm hopeful to get a good Pilot from Amazon, either the Metro or 78G. Thanks for this thread, very helpful.

I just got a Lamy Safari a month ago and I thought the grip would drive me crazy. It doesn't. I actually like it for one reason. I don't have to think about how to hold the pen. Just grab it and the pen tells me if I am holding it right. This is great for those multitasking times when I have someone on the office phone, my cell starts ringing, a customer walks in, and the houseboat transport crew shows up a week early to move a boat that is not ready. That happened this morning. I gabbed the Safari and made copious notes without ever really looking at the pen. The shape of the grip told me how to hold it. It will now live on my office desk.

If you are new to fountain pens, a big frustration, at least for me, was not being able to write any old way like I did with ball points and roller balls. The FP is only going to write well one way. I really like fountain pens but in an office setting I found them problematic for this reason. Not any more.

Just my $0.02

Top Bottom