What's new

Good entry level fountain pen

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
As far as inexpensive but decent look here.

The Platinum Plaisir is really a darn good pen for the money.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Your budget?

The Pilot 78g and Metropolitan are the "usual and best" suggestions for the "under $20" range. If you want to go significantly higher, you can get better pens, even some "one and done" pens ... but then of course you may consider that price range to be out of "entry level".

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Pilot 78g and Metropolitan are the "usual and best" suggestions for the "under $20" range.

Bingo.

I just got another 78G medium point to give away and was reminded again how perfect they are as an entry into the world of fountain pens. Under $13 delivered!

Stay away from the Noodlers pens as a beginner.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
When the box of pens was with me, it was my opinion that the Pilot Plumix pen was really smooth. It costs only $7.25 for the pen and $4.00 for 12 cartridges. Is this pen a bad choice for those new to fountain pens?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When the box of pens was with me, it was my opinion that the Pilot Plumix pen was really smooth. It costs only $7.25 for the pen and $4.00 for 12 cartridges. Is this pen a bad choice for those new to fountain pens?

A good choice, apart from being a bit funny-looking (IMHO ... YMMV). It has an "italic" nib, so decent for caligraphy sort of stuff, but not so wide as to be completely impractical for daily use. As far as I can tell, this is basically the same nib as comes in the 78g "B" (broad nib) pen.

Not sure of your budget, but I would start with a Pilot Metro or a Lamy Safari and then upgrade to something like a TWSBI. I've used a Metro for a little while now and it is a great pen but I wanted to upgrade to something a little more expensive now that I know I love fountain pens. I got the TWSBI Vac 700 and I love it so far. I got it mainly for college lecture notes and exam taking because of its high ink capacity and "in-the-field," no-frills look to it, along with a nib that is a little drier than the Pilot so I'm not smearing my notes. Hope that helps!

Definitely avoid the Safari- it's just not a good pen. It's somewhat cheap, so it gets recommended to beginners a LOT, but the QC is just horrendous and it uses proprietary cartridges and converter. If you absolutely have to have that style pen though, you can get a clone on ebay from a Chinese company called Jinhao (search for the Jinhao 599) which is better quality and has standard international cartridges and converter.

That being said, I recommend the aforementioned Platinum Plaisir, Pilot 78G, or the Nemosine Singularity or Fission, depending on which you like better. The Sheaffer 100 is a little bit more expensive (still less than $50) but a better pen, as is the TWSBI 580. Supposedly soon, the TWSBI Eco should be released as well, and its price point will be $30 or below.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have had the Lamy Safari, Platinum Plaisir, and the Pilot Metro.

In order of what I think is best

1. Pilot Metro - Numerous color choices and in your hand it feels like a pen worth 10x the price.

2. Platinum Plaisir - I remember this as being a big pen. Whatever the clear part is between the ink tank and the nib....that part is rather large, could be a pain to clean/flush

3. Lamy Safari - I didn't like the clip and never got used to the triangle grip. I think the triangle grip might give someone new to fountain pens a little trouble. Because of that it gets ranked 3rd.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nemosine Singularity, easy to replace (swap) #6 nibs. I like it best for this reason.

Metropolitan, good starter pen, but kinda boring IMHO, YMMV

Lamy Safari or AL Star, good pens, funky design that some will like, others hate. Proprietary nibs only, easy to change.

Last edited:
Pilot Metropolitan would be my recommendation. It is a pen that almost every one likes.
The Lamy safari is also a good pen, it is the most bought and used school pen in Germany. The triangle shaped grip is designed so that you hold the pen at the proper angle.
Some people like safari and others hate it. The pen will wright well, is easy to get parts for, you can swap out nibs, and is built to last.
It will wright with almost any ink you care to use.

Lamy triangle gip dont work with backhand nib drafting
METROPOLITAN AND PLAISIR --SMALL PENS
i have had the lamy safari, platinum plaisir, and the pilot metro.

In order of what i think is best

1. Pilot metro - numerous color choices and in your hand it feels like a pen worth 10x the price.

2. Platinum plaisir - i remember this as being a big pen. Whatever the clear part is between the ink tank and the nib....that part is rather large, could be a pain to clean/flush

3. Lamy safari - i didn't like the clip and never got used to the triangle grip. I think the triangle grip might give someone new to fountain pens a little trouble. Because of that it gets ranked 3rd.

the metropoitan is a damn fine pen for the money i just wish it was a little bit larger, the lamy safari or al star is good if you are comfortable with the grip

Top Bottom