What's new

Golf 2011

I broke down and purchased some "Game Improvement" Irons. Some Adams A7. These are so much easier to hit that I feel like i'm cheating. Not as much feedback though.

Ben you dog!:001_tt2: I've entertained that idea myself. I can't decide what I would enjoy more...consistently better scores, or that feeling of puring a "player" caliber iron. Adams makes solid equipment and if they conform, then it aint cheatin':wink2:

I guess with more practice, I could have both, I suppose.

Keep us posted Ben...I'm interested to see how your scoring/enjoyment of the game changes with the new clubs. What were you hitting before?

Oh boy...golf equipment makes me giddy like a 12 yr old girl at a school dance !!!

Taylormade R7 Limited 8.5 degree
Taylormade V Steel Fairway Wood #3 (Damn near vintage but it is the bomb!)
Taylormade Rescue 11 TP Hybrid#2
Mizuno MP 58 3-PW Stiff
Titleist Vokey 54 & 58 degree wedges
Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #6 Putter

I like to buy used Titleist ProVX balls at Walmart. Best deal around for $15.

I regularly play 2-3 times per week and play in the www.londongolfclub.ca (real big variety of courses)

Oh boy...golf equipment makes me giddy like a 12 yr old girl at a school dance !!!

Taylormade R7 Limited 8.5 degree
Taylormade V Steel Fairway Wood #3 (Damn near vintage but it is the bomb!)
Taylormade Rescue 11 TP Hybrid#2
Mizuno MP 58 3-PW Stiff
Titleist Vokey 54 & 58 degree wedges
Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #6 Putter

I like to buy used Titleist ProVX balls at Walmart. Best deal around for $15.

I regularly play 2-3 times per week and play in the www.londongolfclub.ca (real big variety of courses)

Hey Razorr, what's the loft on your Rescue? Do you play it instead of a 5 fairway?

I broke down and purchased some "Game Improvement" Irons. Some Adams A7. These are so much easier to hit that I feel like i'm cheating. Not as much feedback though.

I think some guys would be amazed how much their game would improve by not using "players" clubs. The same goes for guys who still consistently shoot 95+ and refuse to even think about carrying a hybrid. I realize some just don't like the feel/look of them at address but those who think it's simply beneath them are off their rocker.

I think some guys would be amazed how much their game would improve by not using "players" clubs. The same goes for guys who still consistently shoot 95+ and refuse to even think about carrying a hybrid. I realize some just don't like the feel/look of them at address but those who think it's simply beneath them are off their rocker.

Agreed...while I do play "Players" irons (4-9), I bagged the 3 iron in favor of a hybrid...it's night and day. I got over the "look" at address pretty darn quick after watching 210 yard shot fly high and land soft with the hybrid. 4-9 I hit pretty well, but as you guys know, it could be fleeting!

TNUTSHAVE - my hybrid is 16 degree tuned up 1 degree. I've never played a 5 fairway; but must say that a hybrid is definitely muti-use club. It obvious use out of the rough, but I find myself using it more around the green...

Thanks for the info Razorr...do you find it difficult to control the rollout distance using it around the greens (I'm assuming your using it in a little chippy bump and run fashion)?

It depends on the greens. I tend to use alot of different methods around the green depending on the situation. Sometimes a 6 or 7 iron; 60 degree wedge, or the hybrid. I use the hybrid just like a putting stroke, its very easy to get it through the long stuff and the ball is very consistent. Give it a whirl, and see it for yourself !!!

Ok boys...wish me luck. Playing We-ko-pa Saguaro course this weekend. I've been in Phoenix for 8 years now and this one has been on the list for a long time. Can't wait.Wekopa Saguaro

Anybody else heading out this week?

Okey-dokey, lessee...

TaylorMade 510TP Tour Issue 9.5*, Fuji 757 S
Sonartec SS-03 14*, Fuji 757 S
Nike VR Pro Hybrids 21* and 24*, Project X 6.0
Callaway X-prototype forged 4-PW, Project X 6.0 flighted
Cleveland CG 15 DSG 52*/58*
Rife Island series Cayman

Okey-dokey, lessee...

TaylorMade 510TP Tour Issue 9.5*, Fuji 757 S
Sonartec SS-03 14*, Fuji 757 S
Nike VR Pro Hybrids 21* and 24*, Project X 6.0
Callaway X-prototype forged 4-PW, Project X 6.0 flighted
Cleveland CG 15 DSG 52*/58*
Rife Island series Cayman

Those are nice shafts in your irons, Jay. Have you ever played shafts that weren't flighted and if so, did you see the difference in ball flight or feel?

Strictly vintage here.

Driver, 3W, 4W: 1955 Macgregor TPT Special (refinish)

2-PW: 1955 Macgregor M75 Tourney Colokrom, original shafts

SW: 1933 Wilson Bomber or 1960s Hogan Sure-Out

Putter: 1935 Macgregor Armour Iron Master's 3852, replacement shaft and leather grip

Strictly vintage here.

Driver, 3W, 4W: 1955 Macgregor TPT Special (refinish)

2-PW: 1955 Macgregor M75 Tourney Colokrom, original shafts

SW: 1933 Wilson Bomber or 1960s Hogan Sure-Out

Putter: 1935 Macgregor Armour Iron Master's 3852, replacement shaft and leather grip

Very nice!

Those are nice shafts in your irons, Jay. Have you ever played shafts that weren't flighted and if so, did you see the difference in ball flight or feel?

Interesting question, T.J., because I just made the switch. I played DG X100 or S300 for most of my life, and had one fling about 10 years ago with Rifles and just didn't like them at all. I'm not playing nearly as much as I used to, and last year I put up my J33B blades and got a set of the 2005 RAC forged irons for something a little more forgiving. For fun, I dragged up a set of KBS Tour S shafts and stuck them in the TM heads and really liked them. When I got the Callaways a couple of months ago, it was with the intention of pulling the PX shafts and putting the KBS Tours in, but I decided to hit them first.

I'm really impressed with the PX flighted. Trajectory, and therefore distance, is easier for me to control with the short irons, and I don't find the long irons flying too high like I did with the old Rifles (or I'm just too old...). I decided to keep them as the shaft/head has been really solid for me. I'm *ahem* a rather aggressive swinger of the club (one of my golf buddies I've been playing with for 30 years likes to say after one of my misses "I think you lunged before you lashed on that one"), and therefore I equate feel mostly with weight, as a heavier shaft helps me know where the clubhead is. That said, the PXs work for me on that front, too, and I like to think I'm smoothing out the swing more these days, though I've been thinking that for 40+ years.

Ok boys...wish me luck. Playing We-ko-pa Saguaro course this weekend. I've been in Phoenix for 8 years now and this one has been on the list for a long time. Can't wait.

And good luck on We-Ko-Pa. I really like what I see of Coore and Crenshaw designs.

I'm really addicted to the game.

Ping G15 9* Graphite Design Tour AD DI6s (Bought this used because I refuse to spend that much for a shaft)
Cleveland Launcher Titanium 15* regular stock shaft (Oldest club in the bag)
Adams A7 19* hybrid stock UST AVIXCore Black shaft
Adams Idea Tech A4 Forged 4-GW Nippon 850gh stiff shaft (Got fitted for these best money I ever spent)
Mizuno MP T-11 55* 12* bounce Nippon 950gh stiff shaft (newest club in my bag less than two weeks old)
Sonartec T35 60* DG S300 stiff (My bargain wedge will probably get replaced by another Mizuno)
Taylor Made Fontana Ghost (I was not going to buy into the "Ghost" hype but this putter really lines up easily)

There you have it, my current bag. I'm pretty happy with it and plan to keep it as is for at least a..... month?

Awesome Thread!
TM R11 Driver 10.5 R Flex(standard shaft)
TM Burner 2.0s 4-SW regular Flex
Warrior 3,5,7(hand me downs from Pops, soon upgrading to R11)
TM Ghost(Daytona). Havent even used yet!

0-And I havent played any courses worth bragging about yet....Arrowhead In Wheaton IL LOL...and Bluehill in NY.

I am rebel golfer. I don't often ride in a cart; I belong to a wonderful group called the Walking Golfer Society. My favorite course is Ballyowen in New Jersey. Fabulous inland links course that's walkable and has caddies. I believe in the spirit of the game on the commercial big business of it all.

I went back to wooden woods from Louisville Golf and my handicap has dropped from a 19 to a 16.7 (have an official GHIN) and it would be a lot lower if my putting were better. The wooden Niblick fairway woods are incredible. The ball launches high and sails to a soft landing. I am in the fairways more often than not while the Bertha boys are trying to get out of the trees or salvage a par from an adjacent fairway. I like a cigar and in the fall a hip flask. I like to play quickly and have fun. The more fun I have the lower my scores. It's really been a revelation.

Since I'm deployed I haven't playing in 6 months. However, My Wife promised she would go out and talk to my clubs every now and then to ensure them I would be back..

Callaway 545 Ti
Callaway Hybid 3
Callaway x20 Tour 2-P
Callaway x12 SW
Vokey 60
Ping Anser 2

Course -- Links on the Bayou and Oakwing

Top Bottom