What's new

Golf 2011

Who plays and what are you using? Also what are some of your favorite local courses?

For me:
  • Driver: Ping G2 10° (Green Dot)
  • Irons: Ping I3 3 ~ PW (Green Dot)
  • Other irons: Ping ISI SW (Green Dot)
  • Putter: Tiger Shark Greenspeed #5 TS Steel Putter
  • Bag: Ben Hogan Staff Bag
  • Shoes: FootJoy Contours
  • Glove: FootJoy

Still looking for a nice gap wedge and perhaps a hybrid. All other items (balls, tees, etc.) vary.

Some of my favorite places to play locally..

Gunters Landing
Goose Pond Colony
Lake Guntersville State Park

My kind of thread.

G15 9 degree with grafalloy prolaunch axis red
I15 14 degree stock
I15 17 degree stock
Ping s57 3-PW
Scratch 52
Scrach 56
SeeMore SB2

Headed to Bandon Dunes in 10 weeks or so. :)

Golf equipment is my other ADDICTION!!!

Yeaha...

R5 9.5 degree with grafalloy prolaunch red (I just can't get rid of this thing)
Old spaulding Fairway woods 3 & 5 (Honestly, they don't come out of the bag much)
21 degree warrior hybrid
Titleist 735 CM stainless 3 - 9
Vokey SM '09 48 degree (bent to 46)
Taylormade RAC TP 52 degree
Vokey SM '09 60 degree
Ping Anser

Oh...ProV1x...2009 or earlier...2010 model? No thanks, I'll pass.

Enjoy Bandon Dunes you lucky bastard! :thumbup:

Couple of my favorites:

The Raven South Mountain

Troon North Golf Club

10.5 Hibore XL
Launcher 3 wood
Wilson pi5 irons
3/4 hybrid
SW/LW
Titelist Scotty Cameron Putter*

*I actually got this for free. It has ruined all other putters for me. If something ever happens to this one, I know I will be dropping some money for a new one.

... Still looking for a nice gap wedge and perhaps a hybrid...

If you're going from a 10* driver to 3 iron (probably a 20*) then yeah, you definitely need to pick up a hybrid or a fairway wood. Thats a pretty big gap no matter what your swing speed.

My setup:
  • Nike SQ 5900 9.5* Reg
  • Nike Dymo 3 Wood 15* Stiff
  • Callaway FT-iZ Hybrid 18* Stiff
  • Callaway X-18 3-PW (21* to 46*) Reg (I really need to replace these. Looking at getting some R9 TP's)
  • Vokey SM 54* Sand
  • Vokey SM 60* Lob
  • Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Been thinking about replacing the 18* hybrid & 3 Iron with a 20* hybrid. Then I could add a 50* gap wedge in there. Still not completely sold on the idea though.

I normally rotate between TaylorMade Penta, & Pro V 1/1X if I'm working on my handicap or for tournaments. If I'm just out for a relaxing round I'll hit whatever I happen to pull out of the bag.

Last edited:
I have gone from being a 3 rounds a week guy to someone who doesn't play 3 rounds in a year these days. I guess that that is one of the big differences between living in sunny Sydney and living in Zürich :huh:

Titleist 975D 8.5°
Titleist 970D 13°

Ping i3 Irons 2 + 4-W
Cleveland 588 51°
Cleveland Byron Nelson 56°
Cleveland 588 60°
Any of a selection of putters

This lot goes in either an old Tiltleist travel bag or a Ping pencil bag

Glove- FootJoy
Shoes- Ecco
Tees- Wooden (either natural or white)

I have played quite a few of the courses around here and they are OK, but would much prefer to head to Ireland or Scotland for a little golf.

Ping G2 Driver
Adams 3 wood
Ping G2 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 52, 56, 60
Ping Redwood Anser putter

My highlight of the year is I get to play the Lake Coeur d' lane course. The island green should be a hoot.

Driver: Callaway FT-5 10° Neutral Bias Fujikura 150 Shaft
3W: Callaway X-Hot Fujikura Bonzai Shaft
5W: Callaway X Fujikura 150 Shaft
Irons: 3-PW TaylorMade R7 CGB Max Graphite Shafts
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54° w/8° bounce and 60° w/4° bounce
Putter: Scotty Cameron Del Mar
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Edit:

Still have a hard time breaking 90.

Favorite courses in the Houston area:

River Ridge

High Meadow Ranch

Meadowbrook Farms

The Traditions Course at Cypresswood Golf Club

Last edited:
Still looking for a nice gap wedge and perhaps a hybrid. All other items (balls, tees, etc.) vary.
QUOTE]

You know as far as the gap wedge is concerned, you should have your PW and SW looked at. If your PW is part of a set...it may be more akin to a 10 iron than a wedge, know what I mean? (I'm not bashing your set-up AT ALL:blushing:), it just doesn't give you the same flexible characteristics of a wedge club, although it's more forgiving...which can be a real, real, good thing.

I found that adding some real scoring clubs to my bag has really increased the fun factor for me. I've got the Vokey SM 48 (bent to 46) the TM 52 and the Vokey SM 60. What I really want to do is get a medium bounce Vokey 52 (like a 52.10) and have it bent to 53...that would put a little more bounce on it and gap my wedges appropriately.

Get a 60...they're so much fun!*

*Brought to you by the P.U.A (the Panel for Unsolicited Advice) -- "We're happy to answer the questions you never asked!"

:lol::thumbup:

Driver: Callaway FT-5 10° Neutral Bias Fujikura 150 Shaft
3W: Callaway X-Hot Fujikura Bonzai Shaft
5W: Callaway X Fujikura 150 Shaft
Irons: 3-PW TaylorMade R7 CGB Max Graphite Shafts
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 54° w/8° bounce and 60° w/4° bounce
Putter: Scotty Cameron Del Mar
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Edit:

Still have a hard time breaking 90.

Favorite courses in the Houston area:

River Ridge

High Meadow Ranch

Meadowbrook Farms

The Traditions Course at Cypresswood Golf Club

Scruffy, how do you like the 60.04? I'm out in Phoenix and the lies can be...let's say...a bit tight, but I would be concerned that around the green in fluffier stuff might be tougher with 4 degrees of bounce. I can't imagine there is much margin for error there. I've got a 60.08 Vokey SM and it's great, but it's tricky on tighter lies.

I am moving to Charlotte in August and I can't freaking WAIT to play at some of the courses in the area. In my short adult golfing career the best course I've played is Blowing Rock country club, a tight little mountainous course that I like a lot, but there are literally dozens of courses at my disposal starting at the end of the summer :)

Scruffy, how do you like the 60.04? I'm out in Phoenix and the lies can be...let's say...a bit tight, but I would be concerned that around the green in fluffier stuff might be tougher with 4 degrees of bounce. I can't imagine there is much margin for error there. I've got a 60.08 Vokey SM and it's great, but it's tricky on tighter lies.

I purchased the 60/04 specifically for tight lies. Most of the courses in Houston are made of clay soil which really dries out fast and turns to rock in the summer heat. Even when it's wet the clay can still present an impenetrable surface and the less bounce the better.

Around the green - I only use the 60 when I don't have much green to work with and I want to get the ball in the air very quickly. If the lie is real fluffy and I have green, I'll use my PW. If it's fluffy and not much green, you're right... not much room for error. I try to keep my hands as still as possible and not to swing too deep beneath the ball, or I'll use my putter.

My short game is not the best and I use my putter more than my wedges for chipping from the fringe. As Arnold Palmer once said about using a putter to chip, "Your worst putt will always be better than your best chip".

I purchased the 60/04 specifically for tight lies. Most of the courses in Houston are made of clay soil which really dries out fast and turns to rock in the summer heat. Even when it's wet the clay can still present an impenetrable surface and the less bounce the better.

Around the green - I only use the 60 when I don't have much green to work with and I want to get the ball in the air very quickly. If the lie is real fluffy and I have green, I'll use my PW. If it's fluffy and not much green, you're right... not much room for error. I try to keep my hands as still as possible and not to swing too deep beneath the ball, or I'll use my putter.

My short game is not the best and I use my putter more than my wedges for chipping from the fringe. As Arnold Palmer once said about using a putter to chip, "Your worst putt will always be better than your best chip".

I hear ya. Keeping the hands still seems to be the key to the chipping for me. I try to focus on getting them "set" and then leaving 'em that way. Sounds like having a 60.04 could bring some additional function into my game. I would expect it's very easy to lay it open if "high and soft" is needed.

Edit: I'm interested to hear 18pars chime in on this...If I recall correctly, he's a 1.6 index.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 9.5; Taylor Made R7 10.5
Hybrid: Ben Hogan EDGE
Irons: Taylor Made RAC HT
Wedges 56 and 60 degree Taylor Made TP black wedges
Putter: Taylor Made Rossa Imola
Bag:Taylor Made
Shoes: Addidas

Have not played in over an year,cqnt wait to get out there soon!

Wilson Staff set.
I dont play enough any more to warrant spending more on a set of clubs. sadly.

As someone said above, things have changed. I have kids.
Have gone from 4 rounds a week + range time, to maybe 3 a year.

Still love it, but it hurts to see how bad i've gotten.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Adams 9064LS - 9.5*
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 3 wood
Titliest 585H 17* hybrid
Mizuno MP62 - 3-PW
Mizuno MP T-10 black satin 52 & 56 wedges
Snake Eyes Viper Tour SV1 Putter

Nike SQ Sumo 9.5* driver
Old TaylorMade Burner 5 wood
Some old type of Wilson 3 wood
Nike SQ Sumo Irons 4-PW
An Adams sand wedge
Odyssey White Hot XG #7 putter

I'm finally beginning to get a decent set of clubs together. Next, I'd like to get a couple of decent wedges, and get my clubs fitted specifically for me. I'm 6'5", so the standard length clubs are a bit short.

Top Bottom