What's new

global_dev straight journal

Been thinking of a good time to get back into my world of straights.

This last week was the real first time I could begin to think about doing "normal" things , but actually doing them is still almost impossible.

I thought I would get a lot done during this injury at home, but it was a really trying time as you can can't do much as little to nothing is accessible. I am pretty much relegated to a couch, chair, wheel chair, crutches 100%. I can barely just stand on one leg with the other leg barely touching the ground to brush my teeth for long enough. I'll hopefully be allowed to start to relearn to walk by October.

And by then I'll hopefully be able to lean over the sink a bit with enough strength/coordination to get a straight shave going.

The actual injury was a type 5 tibial plateau fracture. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibial_plateau_fracture#section_5

I have 2 plates and 10+ pins now. Here is the xray pre-op with some notes.

proxy.php

Last edited:
fellas, been a couple of rough months and finally hit #194 last night. this totally killed my rate from the earlier analysis...

so I just started walking again in early October after having been laid up in a bed for most of the summer and then having to use a wheelchair, walker, crutches since I injured my leg in early June. Recovery has been really slow and I've been told that it will be anywhere up to 1-2 years before i may even be back to my "normal" active self... ...

proxy.php

So I have been growing all kinds of beards and the hacking them off with some combo of DE/ electric trimmer i have.

finally decided to grab a straight last night. thought i was picking up a Herder and realized I had picked up the Scheonberg once i got to the sink... it felt like fate... grabbed a 2 band and some razor rock and all of the muscle memory flooded back to me... what an awesome experience..

while I was hurt, I realized I definitely need to down-size my gear... in October i said to myself "That's crazy talk!", but I think i really need to...

decided to get back on full force... maybe have been too much too soon

i think i forgot that in an earlier post from 05-23 (that i just went back over that i was going to take the 777 out of rotation for a bit. I got a little soreness from the shave last night. I did 2 passes, one WTG and the other XTG.

not exactly sure why... perhaps it's just getting back into the wing of things and my technique is off, or perhaps the refresh of the edge didn't last... either way, i need to check some other straights that have been gathering dust. specifically this one - one of which came after my injury...
hitachi white 8/8s

proxy.php

On another note, been really enjoying Creed Virgin Island Water. It's such a different scent. i didn't think i was going to like it as much as i do.

XIV

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Great to have you back posting in this thread again, Jon.
Kudo's for not going stir crazy (a la "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) while being forced to stay off your feet for so long.

I had moved the hones away during the injury and finally got a chance to play with some of the stones again last night for a friend of the family who somehow got his hands on a new 5/8 TI supergnome (likely from AOS).

the reason i mention this is that you can lose a lot of memory about what you used to do, thoughts about hone feedback and use, progressions, etc in a couple months time and I recommend keeping a log or something to jog that memory. especially if you have a handful of blades and multiple stones.

I clearly didn't recall how i best used a couple stones and had to run back to this journal to think about x-strokes, rolling, and circles, etc and how many...

first glance at the factory edge (it may have been used a couple times) were some light spotting on the bevel, maybe oxidation, and some tooth-iness to the edge... it was an easy razor to bring up to what i thought was satisfactory.

Great to hear your back in the saddle so to speak. Best of luck with your continues rehab. I am still gaining strength from a ruptured patellar tendon myself.

After seeing another thread here about "how many shaves", i decided to un-retire the 777 and keep it going.. it fared well on a 2 day beard. 3 very easy passes with RR fresco and a Semogue LE finest 1. great shave. the BB custom will have to wait until the weekend.

i believe it was the 15th shave on that blade, which is probably the longest i have used a blade yet... it's definitely still sharp. I could have stopped after pass 2, but i had a longing for a third (which always kicks up a feeling of "just let it go and be done", but i was intrigued and wished to subscribe) and i figured "continue nice and and nothing should go wrong." it just ended well and I was very pleased...

Umami level

proxy.php

Interesting to me is another post titled "there is no zen"... and a couple member state they just doesn't understand the zen aspect.. The abstract feeling i get when using a straight that I really like is nothing like the abstract feeling I get when using a DE or SE. It's just not there with 99% of the DE's I used. It's not there with the feather artist clubs either for me or the sub6/8s straights... And I believe I have gotten over the novelty phase of using a straight. It's a huge plus that i enjoy the resultant shave and the process, and I have a hard to projecting that feeling in words. i truly know the words to convey the feeling "С лёгким паром! ". It's like drinking your favorite cold beer in a hot shower after exhausted from a day of being out in the snow.

or perhaps it's this sentiment

yeah... that'll do

XV

Last edited by a moderator:
what a freaking edge, forget how much i love the razor... sweet! there is only so much I can say right now... i am almost speechless!

proxy.php

I

Last edited:
another fantastic shave... 2 passes gets super close, i'd say Umami level 9 since i still have some ATG i can feel..

applied some proraso pre while i got ready...

the weight of this blade is apparent... and so is the size.. :001_tt1: i really like the heft of these blades. the smaller blades gotta go...

nothing to really report, other than it's a really nice feeling to lather, shave and strop...

i asked Plisson if they could make available a plexi 12 in HMW and they responded that a brush like that "The assembly is defective with high mountain".. :crying: what does that even mean? that HMW is too good for plexi? there exists a 20 with HMW

anyways

proxy.php

II

skipped a day..

moved some straights around, surveyed the current stash and decided to go with a Boker that for some reason wasn't on my good side… i don't exactly recall what i didn't like.. maybe it was the balance, maybe the spanish point. eh, what the hell, let's grab it… and while i am there, grab the rooney's finest 3/3 that i haven't used in a while

what great brush… wow.. perfect size for me, love the handle.. great attributes all around, almost makes my SBAD recur…

the razor performed remarkably superb.. a beautiful edge, i think i could call this shave BBS- after 2 passes… just awesome

proxy.php

edit
couldn't remember how the edge was done and thanks to the journal, i found post 351 and post 352 which were a day or 2 before i injured myself…

soon after, I decided it couldn't hurt much to refinish the edge on the boker to something i am used to and did a magic marker test to see what was going on with the angles and after a couple rolling x-strokes (about 15-20) with the nakayama maruka kiita, it looked pretty good and tested well... put it aside for later..

last night felt like a tabac soap night, after having used this scent for a while, i am still not sure if it's a re-order or even a keeper. I enjoy it, but don't get to it much recently... performance is always great though.

Lathered up the Rooney 3/3 finest, holy crap, what a brush..love the handle and knot, what more could someone want... perhaps a bit shorter loft might be even better, but this thing is still sweet. what a pleasure...

grabbed the boker spanish point 7/8s and started... the edge was there, a bit smoother and still cutting really really well. got through a second pass and decided to do a 3rd "ATG" which i don't normally do, except on occassion to keep the skills up. … i still need to tweak the edge, perhaps i'll take it down to 5K or so and see if that helps reconcile...

All in all, the edge is fine, the shave is great, but something's awry...

totally coincidence i grabbed the Rooneys Finest

III

Last edited:
Finally made it to #200 last night. First straight shave was Sat, 7/17/2010. so 872 day to get to 200 with a few interruptions. feels like a double edged accomplishment, but

Shave #200 was great! didn't even think twice about what was going on... the Boker Celebrated 7/8 just wiped away the whiskers. The AdP brush worked wonderfully (thinking about switching the knot though), the RR Fresco performed admirably.

Stropped 35 on royal linen, 60 on high draw buffalo and the edge was severing consistently along the edge around a 4

from coticule.be
* HHT-0 - shave:The hair can be shaved immediately at the holding point. This is strictly spoken not a true HHT, but it does tell us that the edge is capable of shaving. [all other attempts must be made at least half an inch from the holding point]
* HHT-1 - violin : The hair doesn't cut, but it "plays violin" with the edge. This is due to the shingles catching the edge, but it's not sharp enough to penetrate. On a full hollow razor, a faint ringing sound can be heard. On all razors it can be felt with the fingertips that hold the hair.
* HHT-2 - split: When it is dragged across the edge, the edge catches the hair and splits it lengthwise.
* HHT-3 - catch&pop: When it is dragged across the edge a bit, the edge catches the hair and pops it. The severed part will jump away.
* HHT-4 - pop: The hair is popped immediately when it touches the edge. It still jumps away.
* HHT-5 - silent slicer: The hair falls silently as soon as it touches the edge.

A quick shave 1, 2 and done.. (only realized during the shave that this was likely #200)

Super close and no issues. some Thayers cucumber WH and feels great.

I keep thinking i need to keep a different razor log offline, because as much as this one has been helpful, there is just too much information I'd like to more easily have at my fingertips.

IV

took a day off knowing i Had Fri off and wanted to shave in the AM with a nice 2 day beard.

Grabbed the Boker again same stropping progression as before, same brush, the AdP silvertip, but this time went into my stock for a soap i hadn't used in a while, MWF. i enjoy MWF, but don't love it. a bit powdery, very light hint of floral smell to me today..

proxy.php

3 passes, two WTG and 1ATG, pretty much BBS-, some areas with awkward grain i don't go after as thats a recipe for irritation for me.

followed up with some alum, WH cucumber thayers, and then after a couple minutes, i used some AdP Nourishing After shave lotion, not the typical balm or lotion in the glass containers. i haven't seen anyone else really mention it, but it's really fantastic, IMHO. same looking container as shave cream soap, but an emulsion…

followed by AdP colonia.. the scent is refreshing and clean. you come out of the bathroom feeling like a million bucks..

V

proxy.php

Last edited:
The last time i hit up the Herder was probably back in March '12 and i attempted a diamond on felt touch-up.. I truly didn't remember and again, thankful to the notes here, that i have some concept of what was going on…

proxy.php

while i got throght the shave, it didn't exactly win me over as I remember previously.. double rainbow style

the brush is nice, the handle sucks IMHO, lost about 10 hairs or so on the initial lather. a bit smaller than i like, but works fine…

the shave from yesterday AM was so close, it killed the routine i normally am in, so i decided to only do a 2 passer, so that tomorrow night i'll be ready for a sweet shave (already planning ahead :biggrin1: )

finieshed up teh shave wih some alum, Thayers Cucumber, and then some TdH parfum. i love TdH :001_wub:

the scales on the Herder i have noted before are kind of different. i don't if it's age and water stain or what, but here is a good picture of them.. they are not wood

proxy.php

IX

an event i have to go to today was moved back a couple hours, so i grabbed a scope and took a look at the Herder 77 edge and decided to touch it up on the a jnat and tomanagura. Ozuku asagi

the edge looked a bit worn and after a bit of slurried circles and then some water only x-strokes, it was nice and hazy, but a very clean edge. stropped a bit and HHT test and it appears sharp… can't wait to try it out..

$IMG_20121208_134400.jpg

not exactly shaving related, but i had a USB microscope that worked under windows, switched to a mac mini about a year ago and i couldn't get the scope to work, that is until today. for those that have a generic usb scope that doesn't come with it's own app, like veho or proscope, quicktime and photobooth can both take pics or video.

it's an interesting tool to use, and i am sure i'll put up some new pics of edges soon.

I had high hopes for the re-fiished Herder 77 last night. but totally not feeling the edge off the shave last night. it got me a DFS+, and while it shaved okay, it wasn't the closest on a S-N (WTG/XTG) on my neck that I've gotten with this blade in the past. The cheeks were outstandingly smooth.

on Saturday late morning/early afternoon, I went through this journal and noted almost all use (dates) and finishing hone by razor in a notebook. The results were very surprising to me how often i had used some blades and rarely i had used others. I think my total count of different straights used was just under 30 giving me an average of 7 shaves on a blade.

the conflict that now before me is to try again with the same edge and see if it was a particular technique or if it needs to be re-honed.

X

Top Bottom