What's new

global_dev straight journal

thanks evan.. i am having a difficult time reconciling how people are using a single straight for weeks without using pastes or sprays.. i want a 2 pass AWESOME shave. It doesn't have to be 100% BBS.

I can get a "great" 2 pass shave with the current edges, but it's just not the same..

I'm doing my best to wean off the paste. Now that I've learned my jnat I haven't used it since. I agree It's not quite the same as a scary sharp edge from paste, but I think both my honing and shaving technique has improved as a result. I'm really enjoying the shaves more.

i haven't ever used a scary sharp edge from paste. Last night i did 2 passes with the Herder after another 12 passes off the .5 diamonds and it was okay... nothing to write home about... maybe it wasn't enough as the felt didn't really show any darkening...

VIII

pulled out the non-marked sheffield wedge last night ~10PM. i think it's the 3rd shave off this edge and i remember thinking that the heel needed a bit more work as it felt less sharp than the forward 3/5s of the blade.. regardless, stropped, passes HHT at ~4-5 for the forward 3/5s and like ~3 for remainder. whatever.. time to shave

thater 2 band is a dream to use, tips oh so soft, decent backbone, but not too much.. handle is just right. AOS lavender cream. i a warming up to general lavender, but MdC is just so much different.

i decided to do 2 passes, WTG and then ~ATG. followed by very minor touchup . very very very nice..

some alum and thayers and good to go...

III

I spent most of the week not shaving... Last Monday night with the cobra classic, got a great shave, but decided to to take the week off and get a nice stubble look going since i haven't done that in a while.. quite interesting nor shaving for 5 days in a row, after having been more or less clean shaven for almost the last 2 years..

was wondering how it would feel to shave off the beard and decided to use the slant, rather than a straight, to get me back to clean shaven.. i was wondering how it would feel with a used feather and lo and behold it was awesome... no clogging, no pulling, just sweet shaving... just 2 normal passes and i felt comfortable and clean.

time to get back into the straights though...

as an aside, i have been using a semogue soc cherry handled boar... it's nice, but i can't say i'd drop my current badgers for it...

for teh past 2 weeks i haven't used a straight... much of the time was spent not shaving, but if i did it was with my vintage slant and occasionally cobra and that was only for that 4/8 - 4/15. i'd say 4 shaves total... the past whole week I did not shave at all. it was in a sense freeing. not thinking about the what products to use or when I would grab some spare time.. at first it was like should i shave or not, maybe it's time to shave, but then i just decided to forgo it... i was tired and work was burning me from both ends..

but today i decided to grab a late morning shave stop the lazy cycle... my beard was pretty thick and i wanted to use this beautiful novodur i have, but i wasn't aware of the edge since i had never attempted to use or hone... so i went with a 777 Toyo Scheonburg that i hadn't used in a while, looking back I can't believe i can't believe i bought it a year ago or so, but remember that I honed it, it honed easily and used it at least twice, but probably not more than 3 times.. jeez, i went through this journal, which has been pretty accurate for the most part.. the last time i used it was in feb/12 and the comment is BBS in 2

proxy.php

I honestly didn't remember that last shave, i only remember the first.. it was apparently honed on a coti and i tested the edge out on my arm and it seemed decent enough.

grabbed the semogue cherry SOC boar, C&E nomad SC and stropped a bit on the scrupleworks and royal linen..

i don't think i had ever shaved my beard with a straight when it was this thick and i didn't know what to expect, especially given the unknown edge, i was prepared to grab the cobra in case...

all i can say is no cobra needed.. what an awesome edge... wiped right through the beard ( i considered taking some pics, but no cam near), the tiniest bit of pressure needed to get through the beard and my face was smooth and DFS++. my neck required a second pass XTG, WTG never seems enough.

followed up with some RR alum, and then nomad ASB that i got from cameraflier, very nice, scent not as pungent as the soap or cream.

to tell you the truth, before today's shave, i was having a bit of regret having so much straight and related equipment and having just spent a cool sum on some cool stuff in feb/mar, but today's shave erased any doubt I was having...

no DE or SE shave could have even come close to the experience of today's shave!

i wish i knew a local barber that could replicate this for me reasonably. btw.. don't love the SOC yet, i understand it's not broken in fully.. but..

the nomad SC (in tub) firmed up a bit from what i remember and it like it better... easier to load and performance identical...

IV

Last edited:
last night, i went back to a used feather blade (from cobra maybe 4x) using a folding AC SS.. i used some old sample of Trumpers cream - maybe GFT, don't know... lathered up decent enough, not that impressive, won't be trying to figure out what it was...

it's a close enough shave, but not as comfortable for me as the Toyo 777 above... the effort to touch up the 777 seems totally worth it in comparison to the convenience...

a couple shaves over the week with the cobra classic SE, this razor is awesome.

not having to work today, i took a nice long shower and grabbed the Toyo 777, Semogue Caravela, and AK1869... wonderful 2 pass shave, no touch up needed...
my typical shave
1st pass face: N-S & neck S-N
2nd pass face: nose to ear, neck N-S

the Acca Kappa 1869 is wonderful... so is the brush and so is the blade.. really really nice shave.. really glad i decided to pick this up... and the irony.. i was reticent about adding these to my collection initially....

proxy.php

truly doesn't get much better than this... As i recall this was finished on a coti.. i so want to refinish this on my new Ozuku San that i picked up March alongside a bunch of nagura...

proxy.php

Over the past year, I have been wondering if I really want a day notated set of blades.. I haven't really seen ones that I am truly inspired to own... However, in the past couple months, I have gathered most of the blades, and the intention needed to get to my "seven day" set, and I was very encouraged by JKH's Le Le Le Le Le Le Le Grelot set and am on my way to my something of my own. Just trying to figure out what scales... Earlier I didn't think i wanted identical blades, but as my collection grows, it is the only logical next step...

having seen these custom fili novodur's scales, i am certainly impressed enough with the shape, color, and execution.. I am just wondering how 7+ examples of this would come across when done...

proxy.php

V

Last edited:
decided to just keep going on the current edge and see what happens and i think it was a good run, but definitely needs a touch-up that regular stropping can't make..
it's a great shave, but it could be better...

same Toyo 777, C&E Sandalwood cream, Semogue boar SOC cherry..

same 2 passes as above... nice DFS

VI

took the toyo 777 last night to the ozuku san with just water for about 25 nice and easy passes. the feel was so smooth, very light draw...

this morning's 2 pass N-S was sweet. semogue SOC boar and AK1869.. that cream is pretty nice, i am not sure why it isn't as hyped as others.. that tub is pure goodness.

I also had a japanese neighbor of mine read the stamps on my nagura set and she totally confirmed the stamps, not that i had doubted. i was just curious if a non-knife knowledge person could read and understand... cool.

VII

Another evening with the Toyo 777...

based on some comments in cameraflier's thread, i decided to up the stropping back to more in line with I used to do until recently, when i tried to limit the number, and went back to 40/60 linen/leather. I noticed that the draw on the scrupleworks has calmed down and that I am more used to the speed of the linen. i also used a bit more pressure based on a comment in the recent stropservation thread, but I had already used some slack in my stropping as I had broken a leather knot when pulling too taut many months ago... luckily no damage to body or equipment, just a broken leather lace..

Semogue SOC boar (it's okay, too much hype unwarranted IMHO) , Ak1869 shave cream (I like this cream, thicker than TOBS, but not croap), and the the Toyo.. So i got through 2 passes on a ~2.5 day beard, i got a little sunburn on sunday so i decided to let my skin heal before getting at it with a blade...

2 passes left me with a big smile.. but with a bit more lather in the brush and wanting to see what another pass on my face could get, i did an opposite XTG (ear to nose).. it increased the shave result, but only marginally since i think the 2 was fine...

VIII

Last edited:
Thanks for the stropping comments, and the pointer back to the stropservation thread. Good stuff there, and very timely for my spot in the learning curve.

once in a while, something in the DE forum catches my eye and for some reason I have an excellent physical specimen of an Aristocrat except for some plate missing on center bar. I remember using it once or twice many months ago and, compared to the cobra, it was a weak shaver for me.

I started my shave at ~11PM and tired (which is why I used a DE), SOC boar, Cade, Wally wilkinsons... altogether pretty weak shave.. i can't figure out why I so dislike the performance of Cade, yet it receives plenty of praise as a go to soap (AK1869 cream kills it in performance for me), same for the boar and aristocrat, the wally performed as expected, it's not too sharp, but sharp enough.. 2 pass DFS-

very disappointing for such a sweet looking piece.. maybe i'll throw in a sharper blade...

yesterday, i started out with a pass from an aristocrat.. meh, followed up with same pass from a cobra… no contest…

today.. thinking about all these "is it worth it?" threads… too hyped, not worth the price.. well, grabbed a 14 i haven't used yet… holy friggin S! i can't argue anymore, there is no use…

every time i use a spanish 14 blade, i have a ridiculous shave…. i believe the hype.. . thanks 5o9 for the opportunity to pick up this blade… love it!

novodur, SMN, SOC.. enough talk…

proxy.php

2 full N-S passes.. delicious.. the edge feels gentle and every time it's the same feeling of zen-like exhiliration seeing no stubble remaining on the first pass..

followed by Proraso ASL.. sooo nice all around.. and then a tiny bit of cut Proraso balm to start the day..

so glad i picked up a matched set of Palmera 14s… muy muy muy muy muy muy muy muy contento

i also have a new AD I haven't seen here before.. straight razor manufacturer's ship/display? box for multiple razors.. after i got my first, i knew an AD was there.. now that I got my second, it's full blown..

I

Last edited:
Great shave journal, going to keep reading some more later. Haven't had a chance to read all of it yet. I just started using the straight myself, got a few knicks honestly not from the actual shave. I was being careless with the tip of the blade and got reminded real fast not to lose focus. I will be checking this out often. Thanks!

By the way, just started my journal with straight shaving. I figured it was the best way to keep track and reflect upon mishaps, things that worked, didn't work, etc.

By the way, just started my journal with straight shaving. I figured it was the best way to keep track and reflect upon mishaps, things that worked, didn't work, etc.

great! i enjoy going "back in time" to see what was going on... often pick up a tip i had forgotten about, whether it be about technique, honing, or general experience..

Last edited:
every time i use a spanish 14 blade, i have a ridiculous shave…. i believe the hype.. .

OK... brace yourself.... Dumb Question #362: What's a "14"?

I've seen it in your sig line, but I'm still not sure what it means. Any help? It sounds like I'm missing something magical. I keep hitting junk shops on my travels for work. (I had more luck Monday with a 6/8, NIB, round point W&B for $20.) It sounds like I should be watching for 14's, if only I can define it....

Also, if that MdC isn't working out for you, let me know. I'm becoming a convert. (see most recent journal post, shave #81).

Certain blades, commonly Spanish filarmonica blades, have a number like 12, 13, or 14. It's a size thing typically and the 14 size is a hollow ~8/8s.

On occasion solingens have this 14 and similar size but no conclusive link other than size. I have a Japanese king pelican 14 that is not the same size..

I like the heft and blade grind very much. The novodur doesn't say 14 but it it fits the profile.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom