What's new

Gillette TTO id

I was outbid on a razor recently and have been looking for another example like it. I have done quite a bit of searching and haven't been able to find anything. Knowing the proper name for the razor may help.

Here are pictures I luckily screenshot before bidding was done.

Screenshot_20231220-162735-01.jpeg

I cropped the image to exclude the sellers name and the price incase that shouldn't be posted.

It’s a superspeed. Due to material shortages during the Korean War a number were made with different materials (IE the black tip superspeed) I’ve heard of the red tips but not sure of what the story is with them. There’s some historical posts here if you search.

I personally don’t like those years because they can have a lot of steel and aluminum in their construction and can corrode or rust.

It’s a superspeed. Due to material shortages during the Korean War a number were made with different materials (IE the black tip superspeed) I’ve heard of the red tips but not sure of what the story is with them. There’s some historical posts here if you search.

I personally don’t like those years because they can have a lot of steel and aluminum in their construction and can corrode or rust.
I seem to recall reading recently on a thread I can't find, that this was a black tip, but due to some chemical process it changes or changed colour. Some ends were plastic and bakelite. The change was due to the plastic used on some production runs?

I'm pretty sure that was originally a Black Tip.

I seem to recall reading recently on a thread I can't find, that this was a black tip, but due to some chemical process it changes or changed colour. Some were plastic and bakelite. The change was due to the plastic used on some production runs?

I'm pretty sure that was originally a Black Tip.
I think we’re both thinking of the same thing. Not sure what the story is but it’s basically the same from a build standpoint as any other black tip superspeed. I know there’s a few variants for those years where it seems Gillette really had limited resources.

Very interesting. Thank you for the information. I've searched quite a bit for information without success. If you happen to find that thread I'd appreciate a link.

Top Bottom