What's new

Gentlemen and Ladies, I bring you . . . The Adjusti-Dex

For your viewing pleasure, Madams and Messieurs:

The Gillette Slim Adjustable Index (GSI), or Adjusti-Dex.

Being the uncreative type with too much time on my hands, I daily cruise the Interweb© stealing ideas from other people’s blogs, copywriting© them as my own. I stole this particular idea from Bike Snob NYC, BSNYC complies an index of Chris king headset prices (the CKHI) as well as one of that hipster staple, the Bianchi Pista (the Pista-dex). Both are fairly useless metrics as the prices come from Craigslist. And I’m really not sure what hipster shavers shave with, but I’ll get that figured out real soon.

I thought it would be fun to create a price index for razors; I see those prices for Slims and wonder ”Hey, does anyone actually pay that for a Slim? Would I donate a months salary for a shiny newish (looking) adjustable?” (It would be a month’s salary if I lived in a dirt hut in Nepal) But mostly I want to know, “Can I resell this and retire?”

At first I thought of creating the Fat Boy index, but my little watch-mounted Casio calculator lacks sufficient memory for averaging such large numbers, and besides I didn’t like the acronym for Fat Boy index. In fact, the name Fat Boy irritates me, and smacks of sizeist discrimination against an otherwise fine razor. Anyway, a Slim Adjustable Index is much easier all around, as some Fatboys are mislabeled Slims anyway, plus there are a number sold each week, giving me a better data pool (try doing a President or blue-tip index, OMFG) and it is my favorite razor.

The Adjustidex©, or GSI©, as I am now calling it, is calculated by compiling a average of selling prices of Gillette Slim Adjustables for the past week or so garnered off eBay completed auctions. I average the first 20 or so sales that pop up in my search radar, razor only. No cased razors are included, as that usually indicates that the seller thinks it is "worth something". As you will see later in this thread, cased razors are a not-so-good-deal if you are looking for a daily shaver (unless you are a dedicated collector). Shipping charges are not included in the index, because all shipping should be free anyway, so sez me. Condition is not taken into consideration as that would be way too much work, so no snarky comments. Besides, all eBay sellers are often tellers-of-tall-tales when it come to razor condition.

I may track the index over time, and may include useless graphs and lame commentary. Or I might just post up some bacon pictures. I’ll quit when it no longer becomes fun, or I run out of clever things to say (still working on the clever thing).

I thought of putting this in the safety razor forum, but was concerned it might be interpreted as a serous post, or worse, a public safety announcement or a guide on llama piercing. So into the Barbershop it goes.

The Adjusti-dex for the week ending June 13: $21.10

Highest price: $38.99
Lowest Price: $10

Comment: I’m feelin good, because I just scored another decent looking Slim for $12.50, so that puts me at the lower end of the index. Life is good. Probably good for Cedarfurniturnman too, because I bet he sold the Slim for $38.99. At least the buyer got a puck of the worlds finest shaving soap, which is worth at least $100, or a free llama piercing.

Post snarky comment below.

Last edited:
For the right amount of money,....I'll be a llama,.....as for the piercings,.....well,.....we'll keep a certain limit on that!:eek:

I'm not a collector, so I cannot speak to why folks like to purchase, restore and display razors (or other memorabilia such as bear traps and child restraints). In the shaving world, buying that Adjustable with case ends up costing you a bit more:

The GSI/Adjusti-Dex for Cased Slims: $51.87

Low: $19
High: $79.99​

Comment: We see that the lowest price for a Slim with case is equal to the average of all Slims sold this week. Not a good number if you like to buy your razors with cases. Crazier yet, two Slims sold for a whopping $79 each. Granted, they appeared to be virgin razors, perhaps blessed by the spirit of King Gillette himself (or at least a life-size cardboard cutout), and will not doubt give their purchaser many years of viewing pleasure. On seller, completely serious, pined that this razor is "A Steal by any measure." How true.

I have heard a lot of Slims did not come with a case, so that might explain the premium prices that cased models command.

Last edited:
Does the Adusti-Dex account for the sale of Slimboys? I've seen at least one during my walks through daBay.
Slimboy? Is that what some cutting-edge Rasiermesserverkäufer are calling the the Slim now? :biggrin: I prefer the term "waif" myself. The Waif-Adjustable has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

I did not include the black handled Super Adjustable, in any of the 4 variants. Just Slim, Waif, Beanpole, Svelte, Willowy, and Skinny Adjustables.

I think a weekly boxplot (high, low, average) would be an exceptionally useful addition to either the wiki or as a sticky on the B/S/T. As the months roll by, you'll have beautiful time-series data and can identify trends, predatory sales, etc.

Top Bottom