What's new

My first TTO razor(s)

I already own a couple vintage Gillette razors: an OLD open comb, NEW (LC) open comb, a pre-war Tech, and a 70's Travel Tech. But, I did not own any of the TTO razors. The RAS told me I should really think about getting one of that breed. I started doing some research of the TTO's. I heard so much praise for the Fat Boys, but the average going price seemed a little more than what I wanted to spend on a single razor. I started honing in on the NDC or early 50's Super Speeds. I lost a few bids on eBay, then came across a Buy-It-Now listing for four razors for a total price of $80 + shipping. The auction pictures looked pretty good, and the seller confirmed all four worked as they should.

I pulled the trigger, and they arrived a few days before Christmas. All were in good to very good condition, but I gave them a good Dawn detergent scrubbing, a little Barkeeper's Friend to the handles, then used Flitz polish on all four. Here are the results:

Razors heads.jpg

Razor handles.jpg

Razors standing up.jpg

I think I have my dating correct, but would like to confirm the nomenclature. Please feel free to point out any errors or interesting points.

1. Early 50's Superspeed. Are these essentially the same razor as the 40's NDC SS but came after Gillette started using the dating codes?
2. Fat Boy. This one was in the roughest condition of the four, but still cleaned up very nicely. Please note in the picture it is straight out of the shave den following a few shaves (not specifically wiped/polished up for the photo).
3. Flare Tip SS.
4. Slim adjustable.

I am really thrilled with the purchase. I feel like I have covered the primary bases of the TTO range with one purchase, for an average price of $20/razor. I realize some could be had for less, while some might well fetch a higher price. So far I have only shaved with the 60's Flare Tip and the Fat Boy. A few weepers the first two days with the Flare, then adjusted technique and got great shaves. ALL great shaves with the Fat Boy as I've experimented with the settings. Today was the third day with setting on 5 for a 3-pass BBS shave (Astra SP).

Nice job picking up four different TTOs in one purchase. My personal ranking for shave quality (best to least best):

1. Slim
2. Fat Boy
3. 40's style Super Speed
4. Flare tip Super Speed

Your H-3 is actually a 1962, not 1963. TTOs are my least favorite Gillettes as the heads seem bulky to me after having become accustomed to the older open comb razors. But I still pull them out occasionally and get an enjoyable shave.

Enjoy your purchase!

Brother Fred,

I believe you are correct in your 4 identifications and comments.

Resist the temptation to use the adjustable's at their higher settings. I have course whiskers, and I use my Fat Boy at 5 and my Slim at 6. I find those settings for me are perfect for outstanding close and comfortable shaves. On adjustable settings, more is not necessarily better.

It will be interesting if after some usage you prefer the Fat Boy, or the Slim? Polls usually show about a 50/50 preference.

Brother Fred,

I believe you are correct in your 4 identifications and comments.

Resist the temptation to use the adjustable's at their higher settings. I have course whiskers, and I use my Fat Boy at 5 and my Slim at 6. I find those settings for me are perfect for outstanding close and comfortable shaves. On adjustable settings, more is not necessarily better.

It will be interesting if after some usage you prefer the Fat Boy, or the Slim? Polls usually show about a 50/50 preference.

Thanks for the advice. Never having owned an adjustable before, the first time I put a blade in the Fat Boy I did the “scrape it lightly across your finger” test from 1-9. By the time I got to 9 it was “WHOA!” I’m sure I’ll never be needing THAT setting. Reading up on other’s experience, I started out my first shave at 4 with the grain, then dropped down to 3 for the next two passes. Second shave was at 4 for all three passes, and third shave at 5 for all three. At 5 it doesn’t feel much different from my pre-war Tech (which hacked me up pretty good at first, but as I refined my technique gives a fantastic shave).

I just loaded a new Astra SP in the Slim for the next few days (same blade as used in the Flare and Fat Boy for initial comparisons). It will be interesting to compare them...

Congrats! Nice representative bunch of Gillette TTOs. Now you need to keep your eyes peeled for a Super Adjustable!
Resistance is futile. Embrace the addiction...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great haul, congratulations. Enjoy the shaving experiences with these fine specimens.

That's a convenient purchase for getting all four! I bought all mine separately over the course of a couple of months. I find the fatboy, the slim and the flair tip to be somewhat similar shavers. The 40's style super speed stands out for me.

Not only is it the least pleasing to look at, but it is deceptively aggressive! It has a lot more blade feel than the others. That aside, it gives one of the closest shaves of any razor I own. But you have to be a little more careful with it.

It looks nearly identical to a Milord and a Ranger Tech, which command a much higher price. People say they are all different razors. Personally I am skeptical about that. The only reason I have never chased down those other razors is because I would hate to spend that kind of money only to find out I was right all along.

Enjoy your new razors!

Top Bottom