What's new

Gentleman's Essentials - Shoe Care and Polishing Technique

I just purchased one of theseaftering using a beck at a gentleman's club. After reading another thread about shoes that are unpolished, I couldn't help but get something to touch up my shoes daily. Was this a good buy?

I heard about this place, but never been there...
Back in the 80's Playboy Magazine rated airport shoe shines and found the best were at Lambert Airport in St. Louis. Many of the guys working at the airport started at the House of Good Care or the Rise & Shine Shine Parlor.

The House of Good Care was a shoe shine landmark in St. Louis which closed in the 90's after the death of the owner.

IMHO The cream shines are the best, but the Combination cream and polish are just as splendid. Just polish works if you've been doing some of the routine maintenace mentioned in this thread.

I've got a pair of 25 year old Johnston Murphy's that got their first shine by Mike. YMMV but the quality won't.

Rise & Shine Shoe Shine Parlor
<Google or enter this address in your GPS>
3519 Saint Louis Ave St Louis, MO 63106
Call and Ask for Mike
314-531-5765

Have you ever tried igniting the Kiwi polish in the tin prior to applying to the shoe? I don't know where I got this tip from but igniting the polish liquifies and warms it and after snuffing it out the liquified polish soaks nicely into the pores of the leather. As I recall it shines up quite nicely but it's a technique I have not used in a long time. Always afraid I'd burn down the house. Your method much safer and one I use routinely:)

Disclaimer: If anyone tries this, do so at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for anyone playing with fire.

This is the method I use occasionally. I do seem to get a better polish out of my boots when I do this. But once I have a good shine built up, it is just maintenance and I don't always light the polish before.

I do not like shiny shoes so I use leather cleaners and conditioners instead of shoe polish. It keeps my pants cleaner as well.

I'm a lawyer and it is shocking to see lawyers with either cheap suits, pants with a suit jacket (they are different than sportcoat jackets), and/or dirty shoes.

I have two Norelco Mancare Shoe Polishers from the 80's. I got one in the 80's when I was in the Army, and one off ebay for about ten bucks. I don't see one on ebay now, but they look sort of like the picture below. It take 5 minutes tops to shine my shoes before court.

Here's the link to the one in the picture, which I have never used. http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_pr-08702_presto-08702-shineon-electric-shoe-polisher.htm

proxy.php

I do not like shiny shoes so I use leather cleaners and conditioners instead of shoe polish. It keeps my pants cleaner as well.

I think this is dependent on what you are wearing. Sometimes simply shining the shoes can set off the whole ensemble.

Kiwi is terrible IMO. I prefer a german army shoe polisher that I buy at my
local army surplus store, if you find this stuff, get it! (costs less than 5$, lasts forever)

proxy.php

after polish i apply some shoe deodorant.

Last edited:
S

Sam

I use Kiwi and tried Meltonian. I like Kiwi for the more glossy shine, and since I shine them often enough, dont need as much leather conditioner. I use panty hose that my wife gets a run in and they shine them up fantastic. Old Army guy taught me that trick. keep a pair in my office drawer to touch up if i need to

Have you ever tried igniting the Kiwi polish in the tin prior to applying to the shoe? I don't know where I got this tip from but igniting the polish liquifies and warms it and after snuffing it out the liquified polish soaks nicely into the pores of the leather. As I recall it shines up quite nicely but it's a technique I have not used in a long time. Always afraid I'd burn down the house. Your method much safer and one I use routinely:)

Disclaimer: If anyone tries this, do so at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for anyone playing with fire.

I use this technique routinely. For those who want to try it, be advised that the polish ignites a high & wide flame, so make sure there are no flammable substances nearby. Snuff the flame out just after it covers the entire surface area of the polish (no more than than 5 seconds). Apply the polish immediately.

Thunder, Robert DeNiro uses this method in the movie Taxi Driver. You may have picked it up there. I figured it out on my own because I'm a pyromaniac and was screwing around one day. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/images/smilies/yellow_guys/ohmy.gif

I use this technique routinely. For those who want to try it, be advised that the polish ignites a high & wide flame, so make sure there are no flammable substances nearby. Snuff the flame out just after it covers the entire surface area of the polish (no more than than 5 seconds). Apply the polish immediately.

Thunder, Robert DeNiro uses this method in the movie Taxi Driver. You may have picked it up there. I figured it out on my own because I'm a pyromaniac and was screwing around one day. :ohmy:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Apparently, TheDoctor advises that one polish and ignite one's shoes twice in a row. :001_rolle

Great post - only just found it !
Having read through, its amazing how little we can get in the UK, Kiwi seems to dominate the market. No Lincoln polish on Amazon UK (not allowed to buy from Amazon US !) - could only get it on Ebay.
Any suggestions on brands of good quality Shoe brushes ??

Top Bottom