What's new

Gentleman's Essentials - Shoe Care and Polishing Technique

+1 on the cobbler. Its amazing what a good cobbler can do. Unfortunately, these days, it appears to be a lost art like the neighborhood barber or butcher: find and then keep jealously at all costs.

One thing I'd like to add is the use of mink oil or similars. Some cremes and polishes come with oils added, but using straight polish will kill a boot like cancer. Straight polish will slowly dry the leather. I do mine maybe once a year or so. Or after a bad winter (a rarity here in California). It takes a while for them to shine well again, but it helps keep the leather soft, supple and somewhat waterproof. Take it from a guy that is forced to wear $400 boots daily. Oils are your friend.

I love it when older posts get brought back to life....

A couple of additional thoughts on general shoe care:

1) Buy and use good cedar shoe trees for every pair of good shoes you own. The cedar helps absorb that nasty foot sweat/odor, and keeps the toes from curling up. Put shoe trees in after every wearing. Also, shoe trees allow you to polish shoes yourself without having your foot in them.

2) Try and leave at least two days between wearing each pair of shoes. This allows them to dry thoroughly.

3) Buy and use a proper shoe horn to slip your feet into your shoes. Take a small plastic one to the gym if you work out away from home.

4) If you are in a hurry you can skip this step - but for optimal shoe polishing, always remove the laces completely before applying polish. This also allows you to clean and polish the tongue and around the shoelace holes.

5) Speaking of shoe laces: They are cheap and readily available. Replace worn or frayed laces as soon as needed. Make sure you buy the correct color, length, and thickness. Thing you (probably) didn't know: Name of the plastic (sometimes metal!) tip on the end of shoelaces: aiglet or aiguillette - from the french word for needle.

6) Check your heels: Replace worn heels promptly. A decent shoe repair place will do this for ~ $20 or so. Consider resoling expensive/top quality shoes.

7) If you have a large shoe collection, dress shoes you don't wear very often, or simply travel with dress shoes: Buy and use shoe bags. Prevents freshly shined shoes from getting dusty when sitting in your closet. Prevents smearing black shoe polish on your neatly folded dress shirts when travelling.

8) Personally, I like edge dressing. It can be very messy to apply, but it really adds a crisp look to nice dress shoes. Make sure you buy both black and brown to match your sole colors.

5) Speaking of shoe laces: They are cheap and readily available. Replace worn or frayed laces as soon as needed. Make sure you buy the correct color, length, and thickness. Thing you (probably) didn't know: Name of the plastic (sometimes metal!) tip on the end of shoelaces: aiglet or aiguillette - from the french word for needle.

It's more commonly known as an aglet without the i. Here's a site I came across that tells you how to repair aglets: Aglet Repair

Never too old to learn something new:

I gave this program a shot (thoguh I sprayed the shoes rather than run them under the faucet). Two coats, lots of brushing (lots of sweat, too), and then the T-shirt and polish finish.

I have never had shoes look this good. I only regret it took me so long to understand something that everyone should know. How come we don't?

Outstanding Essential skill posting.

I can't resist coming back to this. I was in the Marines for a while and this is the first time I've ever heard this phrase ;-)

I was refering to Roman414's post when I wrote that. He was describing how they were taught in the Navy. That way would take way to much work. Getting a good base on your boots will let you get a mirror shine quicker and with less effort. That's the way they taught us in Marine Boot Camp.

When I bought my nice shoes, I was told to occasionally spray anti-bacterial stuff inside. What's recommended for this, something that won't damage the leather?

I love it when older posts get brought back to life....

A couple of additional thoughts on general shoe care:

1) Buy and use good cedar shoe trees for every pair of good shoes you own. The cedar helps absorb that nasty foot sweat/odor, and keeps the toes from curling up. Put shoe trees in after every wearing. Also, shoe trees allow you to polish shoes yourself without having your foot in them.

2) Try and leave at least two days between wearing each pair of shoes. This allows them to dry thoroughly.

3) Buy and use a proper shoe horn to slip your feet into your shoes. Take a small plastic one to the gym if you work out away from home.

4) If you are in a hurry you can skip this step - but for optimal shoe polishing, always remove the laces completely before applying polish. This also allows you to clean and polish the tongue and around the shoelace holes.

6) Check your heels: Replace worn heels promptly. A decent shoe repair place will do this for ~ $20 or so. Consider resoling expensive/top quality shoes.

7) If you have a large shoe collection, dress shoes you don't wear very often, or simply travel with dress shoes: Buy and use shoe bags. Prevents freshly shined shoes from getting dusty when sitting in your closet. Prevents smearing black shoe polish on your neatly folded dress shirts when travelling.

8) Personally, I like edge dressing. It can be very messy to apply, but it really adds a crisp look to nice dress shoes. Make sure you buy both black and brown to match your sole colors.

:thumbup1: Amen! Outstanding thread, thankee one & all. Feet are right there and when they hurt; the rest of you does likewise. Proper footwear and care of same may be the most important segment of what we wear.

Richard

Excellent advice. You put in one place all the information I spent hours researching a couple of years ago. My only addition: I use foam make-up wedge applicators to apply polish, although the brush probably does a better job.

A tip I will share- after several rounds of polishings, use a rag with some rubbing alcohol on it to gently wipe down the shoe and remove dirt and prior layers of wax. It will then shine up nicely as instructed by previous posters.

Ryan

The only thing I can really add is my brand preferences. I've tried pretty much every brand name polish I think they make, including Griffin, Lincoln, DeAngelus, Roper, etc, but I always come back to the Kiwi. Specifically, the Kiwi Parade Gloss. Same with the Saddle Soap. (And stay away from the liquid type- all your polish and saddle soap should come out of a round can.)

One tip I wanted to add concerning browns. I have some boots that are a peculiar shade of brown- almost verging into Black Cherry territory. Griffin used to make an Ox Blood polish that worked great on this type of color, but they no longer make it. I find that taking your rag and dabbing it into equal parts Brown and Cordovan produce the same effect.

Thank you for the great thread everyone. It is nice to be able to glean from the experience of fellow members. My wife recently stumbled upon a video at the following link - http://garra.jp/style/tailored/index.html - and suggested I learn to polish my shoes like the guy in the video. Well, now I have a place to start.

Thanks!

shining shoes....how did i miss this thread ?

I don;t spit shine anymore...

I use kiwi regular polish...the parade polish seems to build up a waxy coat ater awhile tht i don;t like....but that is just a preference guys....I have used licoln and even shinola....lol

I must stress the quality of your brush...if you can find one of those older horsehair brushes from the 50's or 60's good luck....they are so full and thick and makes your shoes "pop" so quickly...

Here is an off the wall tip....after you warm you shoe and you apply the first coat f polish on them, stick them in the freezer for a fe minutes and allow that polish to cool off completely before you start brushing....

I has used nylons before (on the shoes guys) but i just stick to a basic shoe shine rag that you can buy....

yes cleaning your shoes is very important to doevery once in awhile...saddle soap is what i like....

i do use a shoe dobber to apply the polish....i don;t stain my hands like i did when i was a kid....

shoe trees...a must....

two bit a shine....sure come on over.......:001_rolle

great post.....

Here Here for all you Having well shined shoes is a often neglected part of being a well groomed Gentleman.

I have a pair of Wing-Tips that are now 28 years old and will soon have to have half soles.

I also agree with shoe trees I have some real old wood ones that got at Garage sale years ago .

Hi I just want to say a very big thank you to the OP. Just started wetshaving and paying attention to many details of my appearance such as shining my shoes. These instructions have gone a long way...earlier today my dad noticed my shined shoes and got excited about my newfound interests. When I offered to shine a few pairs of his shoes...well, you should have seen the huge grin on his face. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I clean my shoes with a product called Afta. You can find it in Home Depot. It was recommended by my shoemaker. It works great to remove old polish and dirt.

Just have to say thanks for this great batch of knowledge. Fiance had a pair of boots that she loved and was ready to give the heave ho!!! With B&B info i saved them while she was out and got a lovely thank you upon her return :biggrin:

B&B'rs i owe yah one!

I have a shoeshine kit that was my father's. It is over 40 years old and still going strong. The brushes are in great shape. When you get a brush,buy quality it will serve you and future generations well.

Lots of good dope in here, the only way to pick it up is to be born back when leather shoes (I wore Buster Brown) were the rule vs. tennis shoes, or spend some time in the service (USMC). Lacking that, these guys came off the knowledge for ya.

Top Bottom