What's new

So... what do you store your shoe shine supplies in?

Got a collection of Allen Edmond shoes and have decided to purchase my own shoe shining equipment. This includes:

1. Angelus Saddle Soap (8oz)'
2. Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner
3. Variety of Meltonian Cream Polish (Black, Brown, etc.)
4. Angelus Shoe Wax Polish (Neutral; 3oz)
5. 8" Horsehair buff brush
6. 6" Dauber brush

Will also be purchasing some cotton rags and nylon for cleaning and polishing.

So.. am I missing anything?

In terms of shoe shine boxes/storage containers, what are people using?

I've been watching shoe shine/polishing videos and notice the pros sometimes clamp the shoe to a stand so they can get good leverage and angles to shine client shoes. I find it interesting that in the good 'ol days, you could purchase a shoe shine support that you could easily clamp to a wall to shine your shoes with. Now we're left to sitting on at a table while holding our shoes with messy shoe polish etc. What's up with that?

I'd love to find some sort of box that has a shoe stand attached to it that allows you to clamp your shoe down onto it (similar to this).

Thoughts?

smithmal

I keep my large collection of shoe shine equipment in a plain cardboard box.... Those shoe butlers are great,you can still buy them on ebay.

I use a small plastic tool box pretty much the same as this one. Check at Home Depot, Lowe's, an ACE hardware, etc.

proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm using a old cardboard box but may upgrade to a plastic tool box.
As I don't shine my shoe for extended periods of time, I not worried not having a holder.

I assume you will have a brush for each colour of polish.

In the beginning it was a reebok shoe box. When that wore out it got replaced with a big old Christmas biscut tin and I store it on the shelf in the front closet.
Johnny

I keep my large collection of shoe shine equipment in a plain cardboard box.... Those shoe butlers are great,you can still buy them on ebay.

Yeah... looked on eBay and its hard to find someone selling a complete set of the shoe butler without charging big bucks. Looks like Garrett Wade sells them new for a reasonable price but they are OOS at the moment. Anyone else have an idea?

Yeah... looked on eBay and its hard to find someone selling a complete set of the shoe butler without charging big bucks. Looks like Garrett Wade sells them new for a reasonable price but they are OOS at the moment. Anyone else have an idea?
The new ones are always sold out, they never get new stock...You can keep up with Etsy and Ebay, they always get shoe butlers in.....Duffy's has new stock , but they're plastic , which should be OK ,and no worries about rust...Duffy's has a good supply of shoe shine products as well... click here: Duffy's Tri-C Club Supply |...

The new ones are always sold out, they never get new stock...You can keep up with Etsy and Ebay, they always get shoe butlers in.....Duffy's has new stock , but they're plastic , which should be OK ,and no worries about rust...Duffy's has a good supply of shoe shine products as well... click here: Duffy's Tri-C Club Supply |...

Yeah I noticed. Can't find any except on eBay for $100. Little worried about using a plastic shine butler with all the torque you can put on the shoe when rubbing/polishing it. Have you ever used this product? I can't find reviews for it anywhere. I also can't figure out how it is attached to a wall/surface...

Found this which is cast iron and allows one to shine both shoes and boots. Still looking....

smithmal

Pull the trigger on a used Esquire shoe shine box on eBay. Looks to be in fairly good condition and got it and some used brushed for under $30 shipped.

proxy.php

Here is a cast iron shoe shine butler much like the shoe and boot one linked above only seems for shoes only. Professional Shine Butler Pretty expensive but looks sturdy. I have a vintage aluminum one. Not exactly sturdy. About what one would expect for something that has a mount that screws into the wall and then sticks out about 16 inches made out of light weight aluminum. I like having it though.

Yeah I noticed. Can't find any except on eBay for $100. Little worried about using a plastic shine butler with all the torque you can put on the shoe when rubbing/polishing it. Have you ever used this product? I can't find reviews for it anywhere. I also can't figure out how it is attached to a wall/surface...

Found this which is cast iron and allows one to shine both shoes and

[URL='http://www.shoeshineexpress.com/shoeandbootholder.asp']Found this which is cast iron and allows one to shine both shoes and boots.
Still looking....

smithmal

boots.[/URL] Still looking....

smithmal
$80 is not too much for this model, it is SOLID aluminum , and properly screwed into a 2x4 or whatever you have, it should take all the torque a shine rag will give off...Don't forget, you probably will get a warranty , so if you are not satisfied you can return it...

strop

Now half as wise
My grandfather had one of these in the basement. It is one of the many things that I wish I had from the old farmhouse. I keep looking in every antique store I come across, but have only found one, missing a critical piece! As soon as I buy one I'll find a NOS one in a box for $10!

There seem to be a bunch of those vintage aluminum shine butlers around, for some reason, on places like ebay for, say, the low $20s, that are missing the wall mount. There must be something around that would substitute for that original wall mount. Or, I can envision mounting one to the wall or whatever--I have mine screwed into a set of built in wooden shelves--and having bracing come up along its length that would be stronger and better than the original mount. Maybe a short pipe of pipe with a flat base, and screw the base down against the "wall." It would not be detachable, but depending on the location that would not be a big issue. I would trade sturdier for non-detachable myself. Also, I would think one could drill holes through the end piece that would otherwise slide into the mount, use screws to mount it, and come up with something fairly strong at least compared to the original idea, which, as I mentioned, is not all that sturdy. BTW, I tried mounting what I had to 2X4s, so it have a sort of portable stand. I did not have great luck with that. Hard to get it steady enough. There is a lot of leverage going down the length of this item.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I keep all of my stoe shine supplies at the little shoe repair and shine shop on 4th Street. When the old guy passes, I'll have to start up a kit and do it myself.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I build myself a mahogany box which is lined with aromatic cedar about 12 years ago; hold all my stuff. The size is about like two shoe boxes side by side. Maybe I take a picture these days.

Top Bottom