What's new

French cuff shirt with jeans?

I've seen several guys wear cufflinks with jeans, and I just think it looks tacky. Most of my shirts are French cuff, but I would only wear one with slacks and dress shoes.
If you are going to attempt this style, I agree that you should only do it with designer jeans, leather dress shoes, a patterned shirt, and no tie.
The whole thing just seems out of balance. Cufflinks represent a certain level of formality, which does not agree with jeans.
To me it's like wearing a cummerbund with jeans, or patent leather shoes with jeans, it just doesn't fit.

If you have to ask, then probably not. That's not meant to be snarky but as a New York City resident, I routinely see people pull off the dumbest combos with nothing more than attitude to tie it all together.

So if you're gonna wear it, wear it.

(And follow the advice about more casual shirts... sneakers can work if they're the right sneakers.)

People around here will wear anything in any combination and make it work because of their confidence. We New Yorkers aren't short on attitude.

I have worn french cuff shirts with jeans, usually I put silk knots in instead of cufflinks, wear a really nice pair of designer jeans (dad jeans will not work) loafers and a nice navy blazer. I usually wear this look to work if I am not meeting an external client, going to events where a suit is too dressy but the chinos/polo shirt does not cut it, on a date, etc.

It works for me, depends on your style philosophy, the only no-no is wearing running shoes with this look, wear blundstones, penny loafers or a variation of or longwing brogues.

People around here will wear anything in any combination and make it work because of their confidence. We New Yorkers aren't short on attitude.
Sorry. That's not enough to pull off bad combinations. And I mean it respectfully to my fellow New Yorkers (I'm a lifelong one).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It is a look that you will one day look back on with embarrassment.
Like 90% of the other stuff you wear between ages 16 and 28 :lol:
And parachute pants. :laugh:
do do do-do
do-do
do-do
do do do-do
do-do
do-do
can't touch this!
I feel like a doofus. Probably look like one too.
:thumbup:
Sorry. That's not enough to pull off bad combinations. And I mean it respectfully to my fellow New Yorkers (I'm a lifelong one).

Yeah, those geniuses in Manhattan put tomatoes in their clam chowder. :blink:

Seems to be a new trend. Depends on the shirt. Ted Baker makes a lot of shirts with french cuffs that don't look good with anything other than jeans. My Pink shirts, on the other hand, wouldn't work with jeans.

Seems to be a new trend. Depends on the shirt. Ted Baker makes a lot of shirts with french cuffs that don't look good with anything other than jeans. My Pink shirts, on the other hand, wouldn't work with jeans.
No, you need a white tux for those.

Top Bottom