What's new

Freddies brush thread

Just finished up this Ever-Ready that was sent in for some TLC. The handle was in beautiful condition as it was. I opened it up to hold a 22mm knot per owners request, refreshed the lettering on the base, and gave it a quick polish. Knot is from Maggards.

1000002292.jpg

Those are some excellent looking brushes. Great work. I've got a black and white Ever Ready similar to that one. I've always liked the look of them. I need to clean mine up and evaluate the knot.

Thanks Gregg. If you haven't done one of those ERs yet, the knot is glued into the ferrule before the top and bottom halves are glued together. When/if you pull the knot the handle is hollow. You'll need to make a platform for the new knot to rest.

Finished up a few more. The original ferrules on the 2 were unable to be used so I did one in aluminum and the other in bass. Brass one is not for sale.

I wanted to keep the twine wrapped brush as original as possible. I removed the poly, making sure not to hurt the finish and applied a fresh coat to protect. The twine is adhered to the ferrule but I did clean it. The stains are from the original adhesive and could not be removed. The metal underneath is sound with no rust and I coated the inside to help prevent before setting the 20mm knot.

The hammered aluminum handle will hold a 26mm knot.
1000002500.jpg

1000002339.jpg
1000002501.jpg
1000002506.jpg

Finished up a few more. The original ferrules on the 2 were unable to be used so I did one in aluminum and the other in bass. Brass one is not for sale.

I wanted to keep the twine wrapped brush as original as possible. I removed the poly, making sure not to hurt the finish and applied a fresh coat to protect. The twine is adhered to the ferrule but I did clean it. The stains are from the original adhesive and could not be removed. The metal underneath is sound with no rust and I coated the inside to help prevent before setting the 20mm knot.

The hammered aluminum handle will hold a 26mm knot.
View attachment 1770803
View attachment 1770804View attachment 1770805View attachment 1770806

I love the work you do on these.

Just finished up these little beauties for a customer. Definitely proud of how they turned out.

The Rubberset 200 was a pretty simple restore and is always a pleasure to work on. Customer requested a AP Shave Co Gealousy knot for the final touch.

Next up was a Rubberset 200-4 and a new one for me in regards to a custom ferrule. Until know, all my custom ferrules have been mated to wooden handles. The knot had already been replaced with the 28mm boar shown which i saved, but unfortunately the original ferrule had a crack. Took a little tinkering but came out perfectly in the end. To add a touch of color between the white and brass and to soften the step between the two, I worked up and added a copper ring under the brass ferrule. Both the brass and copper were coated to prevent patina. Might have to do one of these for myself!

Last up was a former Rubberset 200-3. Color is a custom of my own design that I call Red Espresso. Pics simply do not do it justice! Depending on the light, it's a nice chocolaty Espresso brown but will transition to a nice crimson undertone at different angles. The copper ferrule is also coated to prevent patina and customer knot of choice is a 24mm fox knot from Shaveforge.

1000005209.jpg
1000005210.jpg
1000005214.jpg
1000005213.jpg
1000005212.jpg
1000005218.jpg
1000005217.jpg
1000005222.jpg
1000005172.jpg

IMG_20240330_124924917_HDR-01-01.jpeg

These three incredible brushes came in the mail today. The Ever-Ready is a restoration and re-knot. The finish quality is absolutely beautiful. The other two are Rubberset resto-mods. They both had cracked ferrules but Freddie Payne came up with this idea for saving brushes like this. He makes these BEAUTIFUL custom metal ferrules and refinishes the handles. He even custom blended the stain on the wood handle to get the color I wanted. He absolutely nailed the color I had in mind. I have admired Freddie's work for quite a while and am super excited to have several examples in my collection now. He was a pleasure to communicate with during the whole process of picking out the handles, ferrule materials and knots too. If you are looking for a restored or customized brush I would definitely recommend dropping him a message.

Top Bottom