What's new

Frank Shaving Company ?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Just received my silver tip with the beechwood handle a few days ago. Took 9 days to get from Shanghai to Seattle via USPS which I guess is about average. Checking Frank's website I see that he has sold just 1 of these so I must have the first one. What an honor as this is a 10 plus in my book and I am most happy with it. Next to a new pair of Hush Puppies I can't think of anything better. If your looking for a new silver tip this is the one to get !

Mr. Mac:
I could'nt agree with you more :thumbup: In my opinion, FS Brushes (especially the Silvertip), are 'the best thing since sliced bread' :jump:

Christopher :badger:

I have read some really good reviews on here about the frank brush, but when I look on the bay, there are a quite a lot of badger hair brushes from china/hong kong, all very cheap, has anyone tried one of these brushes, not the frank brushes, but these other badger brushes from the bay?

I bought a no-name made in China Boar brush a while ago because I liked the size and thought it would be great for travelling. Entire knot of bristles fell out on day four or five. :thumbdown

Not suprised with a $2.95CDN brush.

At least I now have a handle I can try to re-knot on my own. :thumbup1:

csmorris, I bought a $15 pure badger tweezerman for traveling and it works great with Saint Charles' shave sticks. The bristles are stiff enough to work up a decent lather on my face and the shave stick is convenient to travel. I took a 2" piece of PVC and drilled holes in it and put two PVC plugs on each end for a travel case for the brush. Not exactly high class but it works and the holes allow me to put a damp brush in my shaving bag.

I have used this brush daily for the last 18 days since I first received it. It has lost about 10 hairs. Works great and although somewhat lofty I manage to work up the same amount of lather with Williams puck soap as i did with my cheap drugstore boar. I realize 18 days is not a long time so I will maintain vigilance waiting for the catastrophic failure which is surely pending. $8.99 including shipping.

csmorris, I bought a $15 pure badger tweezerman for traveling and it works great with Saint Charles' shave sticks. The bristles are stiff enough to work up a decent lather on my face and the shave stick is convenient to travel. I took a 2" piece of PVC and drilled holes in it and put two PVC plugs on each end for a travel case for the brush. Not exactly high class but it works and the holes allow me to put a damp brush in my shaving bag.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen where others have used large pill bottles but I gave up after three pharmacy's and still not being able to find one big enough for even the small brush. Will try the home grown PVC next.

After collecting all kinds of shaving items over the years, I can't say that I have been wowed about many items that are new to the shaving scene. Typically, my motto has been "you get what you pay for..."

That is, until I received my "Frank Shaving" silvertip brush today.

I don't think that this brush can be compared to a high-end Plisson or Simpsons, but at $23.00 it is one of the best shaving buys I have made in a long, long time.

I am thrilled I took a chance and picked up one of these off of EBay.

Incredible value.

I grabbed my Frank Shaving brush this morning which I have used maybe 5 or 6 times since I got it and noticed that the veneer is already starting to crack on the handle near where the bristles are!

Anyone else experience this?
(I'll post pics tomorrow after I pick up my camera)

The wood handled Frank brushes don't seem to be faring too well. I've also heard that the knot on the wood handled Finest brushes don't have the same quality hair as the other Frank brushes. I don't know if this has been rectified since it was reported.

I'm loving my Frank finest butterscotch brushes. Very, very happy with them. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the wood handle.

I had a Body Shop synthetic hair brush with a wood handle for a short while. The lacquer started lifting and splitting after the second use. This happened with two brushes, the first one and the one that replaced it. After that, I've avoided wood handled brushes, though I'm sure not all wood brushes suffer this problem.

I hope you can get it resolved. Otherwise, a bummer of an experience to get wiser on.

Last edited:
I would contact the seller and give him a chance to rectify. He appears to be very responsive. Regards, Bradley

Sorry to hear this. I have only bought butterscotch, faux ivory and faux ebony, all of which have been absolutely perfect.
In fact the handles on these are just as good as on my big name brushes.

Ah, that'll teach me to buy something just cause it looks good! I really liked the look of the handle and I wanted a silvertip so I bought that one. Only plastic handles from now on! I will contact the seller and see what happens and report back.

Same happened to my rosewood handle. He'll send a new one for the price of shipping (or if you send the old one back). I've got a faux ebony on the way.

The wood handled Frank brushes don't seem to be faring too well. I've also heard that the knot on the wood handled Finest brushes don't have the same quality hair as the other Frank brushes. I don't know if this has been rectified since it was reported.

The knot on my rosewood was definitely not the same knot as most of the others. There were a lot of trimmed ends and it was very scritchy and firm. Oh well... hopefully the ebony will be nicer.

Last edited:
I had a brush that shed and Ian sent me another one, no questions asked and he even let me keep the shedder. I'm sure he'll understand and send you another one from the same grade.

I have been following the Frank shaving brushes with great interest. I am particularly interested in the long handled, butterscotch, 50mm finest badger brush that IAN was supposed to come out with. I checked to see if he has come out with that brush, or if someone got one. It would be nice if the moderators would leave a short sentence advising where you moved it.

Top Bottom