What's new

Frank Shaving Company ?

Very cool. I'll have to give these a shot. Anyone get one of the brushes from starshavingsupplies and can understand the grading he uses? It doesn't seem to follow a lot of logic.

+1 on starshavingsupplies

Unbelievable amount of brush for the price. I have two.

The grading progression he uses I think is: Black, Mix, Pure, Fine, Best then Silvertip

However, I have a box with "Fine" that looks like the other "Fine"s he has on sale and it's definitely softer than Best of his I have. At $18.99, that Fine is quite a bargain. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Consider getting a stand (they're so cheap) and remember you'll have to specify color when you order. I should have gotten a stand but didn't.

I tried my boyfriend's FS brush he ordered from ebay, and I was sold on the softness of his finest badger brush so I ordered one for myself too =).

Ian (ebay iantang19821024 ) just emailed me to say he has a few of these in and is listing them. Just $24.
Mine is already on its way to me and there are only 4 left. If this is as good as his ordinary badger brush it will be a bargain.

# Base: 3.4cm
# Width of bristles at base: 2.3cm
# Width of bristles at top: 5.3cm
# Length of bristles: 5.5cm

I've got one of his silvertips (I'd assume same brush with different color handle). They're not bad. Quite soft. Density is what you'd expect from a $20 brush. Not a stunner or a disappointment. A touch more loft than I'd like, but it's a decent cheap brush if you want a soft brush that doesn't hog lather.

finally received and used my new brush for a few shaves and can report that it is really well made and as reported the tips could not be any softer. that said it is in no way the same as a TGN extra stuffed finest which has the imho perfect amount of backbone for face lathering. but since moving to straights i have pretty much been scuttling anyway and the less stiff is maybe a litlle easier to work with so i have to say it is a great bargain for 20 bucks.

finally received and used my new brush for a few shaves and can report that it is really well made and as reported the tips could not be any softer. that said it is in no way the same as a TGN extra stuffed finest which has the imho perfect amount of backbone for face lathering. but since moving to straights i have pretty much been scuttling anyway and the less stiff is maybe a litlle easier to work with so i have to say it is a great bargain for 20 bucks.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad to see I'm not the only nutjob that finds the Frank Shaving brush to be excellent.

My butterscotch silvertip arrived today and it is gorgeous. The quality is top draw.
For price and quality Frank Shaving seem to be giving us good times, these could end up being standard brushes in the traditional shaving community.
Let's hope he keeps up the good work.

There are 3 suppliers for Frank Shaving on eBay.

starshavingsupplies iantang19821024 and openbestselling

They seem to carry slightly different stocks.

Ian Tang only does finest and silvertip but is a bit cheaper and seems close to the factory, so can get custom orders made.

Star Shaving sell a wider range of badger hair types and are in America.

openbestselling only seem to do the silvertip and are the most expensive.

I have been chatting to Ian and asked him to make up a brush for me (which means he will make up a batch). I have asked him for the two band Finest with the ebony handle. At $9.99 these are remarkable value and should look spectacular.

He says they will be ready at the end of the week and he will list them on eBay.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Price: Rating 10
Wonderful…at about $27.00 with shipping from China (purchased on Ebay…iantang19821024 is the Seller), what a ‘steal’ (if I don’t say so myself) :thumbup1:

proxy.php

PS Sorry for the fuzzy pic :blushing:

Quality: Rating 9
Keeping in mind it's a Silvertip Brush…it is altogether a very well made brush. The knot is tight, dense with very fine hairs and the Faux Ivory handel is also well made, beside the ‘FS’ stamp that is beginning come off, but hey…it does not in any way detract away from the effectiveness of this Brush.

Density: Rating 10
Again, the knot is quite tight and dense and it hasn't shed many hairs in my months of use thus far.

Stiffness of Tips: Rating 9
The Frank Shaving (FS), Brush’s tips are very supple and the ’bloom’ neatly resembles a beautiful ‘bulb’ shape. Compared to my Caswell Massey Pure Badger Hair Brush with a medium mock ivory handle, which has quite stiff tips, the FS Silvertip is in a class by itself. ‘Floppy’ might be too strong a word, but I would classify the FS Silvertip Brush as ‘supple’ and ‘flexible…a pure ‘joy’ to run one’s hand through the ‘bloom’.

Softness of Tips: Rating 10
The bristles are very fine, very striking (with a natural white to off-white colouring), and quite bushy. The knot is compressed adequately in my opinion to keep this Brush from being ‘floppy’ with plush softness in the silvertip head. Put side by side, the FS Silvertip is so much softer than my Caswell Massey Pure Badger Hair Brush.

Ergonomic: Rating 9
This Brush has a good sized knot (see dimensions below i,e,. short loft), and looks even superior ‘in bloom’. The Faux Ivory handle on this Brush could have been a little bigger in view of my carpal tunnel disability in both wrists, I’ve noticed that certain brushes (and razors for that matter), are not very comfortable in my hands, but this brush is a 'dream' to use, the Faux handle is well made and easy to hold and I feel very 'pampered' :lol1: every time I lather-up.

Dimensions:
Base: 3.4cm (1.34inch)
Width of knot at base: 2.3cm (0.91inch)
Width of knot at top: 5.3cm (2.09inch)
Length of knot: 5.5cm (2.17inch)
Total length of handle and knot : 10.5cm (4.15inch)

Latherability: Rating 10
OMG… :eek6: this Brush really generates a lot of lather. Water retention of this Brush is wonderful and with just about six (6), ‘whips’ around my Williams Shaving Soap, this Brush still has the strenght to stand up with this soap...producing a rich and dense 'stiff peak' lather even though it is very ‘supple’, but, what a feeling on your face :w00t:

In closing, I really 'Love' my FS Silvertip Shaving Brush :clap: and I have no issues with this Brush and in my opinion...it is the best Silvertip Brush for your money $$$ :biggrin1:

Thanx :thumbup:

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
JPDyson:
I also have a CM Pure Shaving Brush.

OK, that's really helpful in understanding your perspective in writing the review. I've tried Silvertip brushes everywhere between cheap knots from TGN up to Rooney, Kent, Savile Row, etc... I for one would doubt this is a "10" on the softness of tips scale from that perspective. Compared to a pure badger brush, I'm sure it's an amazing step up though.

You should create a "formal" review in the Reviews section :thumbup:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
OK, that's really helpful in understanding your perspective in writing the review. I've tried Silvertip brushes everywhere between cheap knots from TGN up to Rooney, Kent, Savile Row, etc... I for one would doubt this is a "10" on the softness of tips scale from that perspective. Compared to a pure badger brush, I'm sure it's an amazing step up though.

You should create a "formal" review in the Reviews section :thumbup:

JPDyson:
Thanx for your input, but I must wait until my 45 days are up or the number of posts I create is achieved (50), before I can 'formal' Reveiw :001_huh:

Last edited:
JPDyson:
Thanx for your input, but I must wait until my 45 days are up or the number of posts I create is achieved (50), before I can 'formal' Reveiw :001_huh:

That's so reviewers can have more experience in trying different products before throwing a bunch of 9's and 10's on the board in support of a product that they may (or may not) see as inferior to something else a few months down the line. :wink:

Just received my silver tip with the beechwood handle a few days ago. Took 9 days to get from Shanghai to Seattle via USPS which I guess is about average. Checking Frank's website I see that he has sold just 1 of these so I must have the first one. What an honor as this is a 10 plus in my book and I am most happy with it. Next to a new pair of Hush Puppies I can't think of anything better. If your looking for a new silver tip this is the one to get !

Top Bottom