What's new

Fragrances for Older Men

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
What are some good fragrances appropriate for an older gentleman? I'm in my sixties and am looking for some suggestions. I searched for posts of this nature but didn't find any. I don't go out clubbing and dancing at night and am not currently trying to attract women (I already have a girlfriend). Just want to get some fragrances that fit my age.
Fine
American Blend is supposed to smell Similar to Rive Gauche. Tom Ford has a cologne that smells similar to Creeds Bois De Portugal. Thos e are some good suggestions you received. Some of those I have tried and there are some I want to try. I like Bay Rum and PAA has an Atomic Bay Rum that I get compliments on from both sexes.

This is a new addition to my collection and I love it. Similar to Creed’s Bois de Portugal and much less expensive.

1703716974719.jpeg

There are so many great fragrances for older men. Personal choice, your aesthetic, style, and several other factors come into play. However, even though I wear it only occasionally, I enjoy Saponifficio Varesino's 70th Anniversary EdP quite a bit. I would classify the strength and silage more as a decent EdT, but it is a great old-school fragrance that I always feel great wearing. If you like Aqua di Parma, Polo Green, or Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, I think you would be happy with an SV fragrance. Especially if you use and enjoy SV shaving soap and aftershave.

Old School stuff:

Acqua di Parma Colonia (original)
YSL L'Homme (original)
Worth Pour Homme
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Clásico Bay Rum EDP

More Modern but appropriate for mature men:

Terre d'Hermes (original)
Creed Aventus (Executive Man EDT from Stirling Soaps smells just as good, 98% similar, and is a small fraction of the price)
How is the Worth these days - still the same?

1705789961953.jpeg

Always loved "Old Man" Fragrances, grew up in the 80s with Kouros, Jazz, Havana, Quorum, Dunhill, Paco Rabanne, and still love all of these, far more than any more modern scents. Unfortunately, most have been reformulated and the modern day versions are generally watered down versions of their former glories (the absence of oakmoss in particular being most felt).

Now, at 58, I guess I am an old man, so unlikely to change preferences at this stage.

Always loved "Old Man" Fragrances, grew up in the 80s with Kouros, Jazz, Havana, Quorum, Dunhill, Paco Rabanne, and still love all of these, far more than any more modern scents. Unfortunately, most have been reformulated and the modern day versions are generally watered down versions of their former glories (the absence of oakmoss in particular being most felt).

Now, at 58, I guess I am an old man, so unlikely to change preferences at this stage.
Wow, maybe I am wrong, but I think I am going to have to protest at least little bit. The original question was "What are some good fragrances appropriate for an older gentleman?" Maybe what I am about to write is worthy of some discussion. I think there are fragrances appropriate to lots of different age groups, partly dependent on the circumstances. Maybe there are "old man" fragrances. I like Old Spice myself, but I do not completely dispute that it could be considerd an "Old Man" fragrace. Maybe Lilac Vegetal. Is anyone really old enough to wear Pens HB? And I think there are "young man" fragrances, although "young man" might reach to an older age, that one might think. If one is age appropriate to go out clubbing and can carry off the appropriate attire, one can probably wear scents I think of as current, and modern. Dior Sauvage and Le Male, would be two, I suppose. Maybe anything too overtly gourmond. I think of the various ouds as modern, but I also think lots of different aged guys could wear them. But I would think that a guy in his 30s wearing a suit could wear any of "Kouros, Jazz, Havana, Quorum, Dunhill, Paco Rabanne." Also, on other "boards" where scents are discussed, there are a lot of tobacco and similar styled scents that I might think of as older, that seem to be popular across the board. Amouage scents seem popular, and I do not think I would put an age range on them.

I completely agree about reforulations watering down formerly powerhouse scents.

Top Bottom