What's new

Fragrances for Older Men

I'm in my mid 50's and I really like Terre D'Hermes. To me it's the perfect frag for the mature man. Super classy.

I suppose I'm old enough at 72 to chime in.
I don't wear aftershave or cologne, but once in a while I'll go to the barbershop and have my very short beard lined up.
Kind of a treat with the hot towels and everything.
When he's done he puts some aftershave on, and it's old fashioned barbershop Bay Rum.
Kinda like it, reminds me of when I was a kid and went to the barbershop and got a "regular boys" haircut for I think was $.25. Place smelled like Bay Rum.

Wow, maybe I am wrong, but I think I am going to have to protest at least little bit. The original question was "What are some good fragrances appropriate for an older gentleman?" Maybe what I am about to write is worthy of some discussion. I think there are fragrances appropriate to lots of different age groups, partly dependent on the circumstances. Maybe there are "old man" fragrances. I like Old Spice myself, but I do not completely dispute that it could be considerd an "Old Man" fragrace. Maybe Lilac Vegetal. Is anyone really old enough to wear Pens HB? And I think there are "young man" fragrances, although "young man" might reach to an older age, that one might think. If one is age appropriate to go out clubbing and can carry off the appropriate attire, one can probably wear scents I think of as current, and modern. Dior Sauvage and Le Male, would be two, I suppose. Maybe anything too overtly gourmond. I think of the various ouds as modern, but I also think lots of different aged guys could wear them. But I would think that a guy in his 30s wearing a suit could wear any of "Kouros, Jazz, Havana, Quorum, Dunhill, Paco Rabanne." Also, on other "boards" where scents are discussed, there are a lot of tobacco and similar styled scents that I might think of as older, that seem to be popular across the board. Amouage scents seem popular, and I do not think I would put an age range on them.

I completely agree about reforulations watering down formerly powerhouse scents.
Whilst I would certainly feel that Kouros, Quorum, etc. are primarily for an older generation, who likely experienced and enjoyed these when they were first launched, I have no issue with anyone, young or old, wearing them if they enjoy.
I do think overall that 80s masculine powerhouses are in general regarded as old man scents, or at least that's the attitude I have typically encountered, even when wearing them a not yet old man.

I’m 60. I feel (and my wife agrees) that at this age wearing anything big and bold or sultry and sexy or cheap and boozy isn’t a good fit. There was a time for that, that time has passed. What feels good and respectable are scents that tend towards blending in while giving off a clean and classy presence. I have three that I settled on and favor them in this order:

Acqua Di Parma Colonia. A couple of spritzes on the chest after toweling off from the shower before the shirt goes on. This begins with a fairly big explosion of lemony herbal laundry but quickly dies down to a very classy, spicey fresh laundered presence that lies just underneath enough to give off the notion that it belongs there, and it exudes class. There’s a reason this one has been around for 100 years. It’s perfect.

Penhaligon’s Sartorial. More mineral, less vegetal, a different sort of perfection. You have to experience this one to get it. If you read the descriptions Penhaligon’s gives for this it sounds like marketing speak until you wear it. One of the very few I’ve tried that lives up to it’s billing.

Terre de Hermes. If you’re going out for the evening and you want something a little darker, a little richer, but still clean, classy and with natural elements that feel like they belong and are not forced synthetic aroma-bombs, this is it. Belongs on a gentleman. The best way I can describe it is very well behaved and clean wwith a burnt orange note that comes and goes. Sounds odd, but you have to try it to get it.

You can get affordable small samples of these easily.

I’m 60. I feel (and my wife agrees) that at this age wearing anything big and bold or sultry and sexy or cheap and boozy isn’t a good fit. There was a time for that, that time has passed. What feels good and respectable are scents that tend towards blending in while giving off a clean and classy presence. I have three that I settled on and favor them in this order:

Acqua Di Parma Colonia. A couple of spritzes on the chest after toweling off from the shower before the shirt goes on. This begins with a fairly big explosion of lemony herbal laundry but quickly dies down to a very classy, spicey fresh laundered presence that lies just underneath enough to give off the notion that it belongs there, and it exudes class. There’s a reason this one has been around for 100 years. It’s perfect.

Penhaligon’s Sartorial. More mineral, less vegetal, a different sort of perfection. You have to experience this one to get it. If you read the descriptions Penhaligon’s gives for this it sounds like marketing speak until you wear it. One of the very few I’ve tried that lives up to it’s billing.

Terre de Hermes. If you’re going out for the evening and you want something a little darker, a little richer, but still clean, classy and with natural elements that feel like they belong and are not forced synthetic aroma-bombs, this is it. Belongs on a gentleman. The best way I can describe it is very well behaved and clean wwith a burnt orange note that comes and goes. Sounds odd, but you have to try it to get it.

Absolutely love your first and third selections, they are part of my arsenal as well. I have not had the pleasure of sampling the second, however. I'll have to check that out. My wife spoke very highly recently of my smell wearing 8 and Bob.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"

Terre de Hermes. If you’re going out for the evening and you want something a little darker, a little richer, but still clean, classy and with natural elements that feel like they belong and are not forced synthetic aroma-bombs, this is it. Belongs on a gentleman. The best way I can describe it is very well behaved and clean wwith a burnt orange note that comes and goes. Sounds odd, but you have to try it to get it. I have a small sample and I like it.

For a man over 60:
ADP Colonia
Tom Ford Beau de Jour
Creed GIT
Houbigant Fougre Royale
Locciton Vetever
S. Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia Russa
T&H Apsley
C&S Neroli

Apologies if this one has been mentioned already but I haven’t read through the entire thread yet. I recommend Floris Santal. So many reasons why.

Top Bottom