What's new

Foie Gras a Faux Pas?

Foie Gras a Faux Pas?

• Foie Gras is Culinary Heaven!

• No way Count…I think Foie Gras should be banned in the U.S..think of the Geese dude!

• “Art is King”

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to think CA lawmakers were grossly incompetent, but now I can see that they have really been working hard on the enormous problems facing the state of CA

I had some with a Chateau Y'quem and admittedly it was awesome. But, not something I would miss (the foie gras, that is.)

Mate, I hate you, that's my electric chair meal!!

I do understand the legislators' view, but I think it is fundamentally flawed - I have been to foie gras farms and the geese actually clamour to get fed. I don't actually care too much if CA bans it, as it means more for the rest of us.

No mention of Balut?

I had a friend that lived in CA in the seventies and worked on a farm that made Foie for very prominent chefs. He said the birds would flock to him when he walked out with the hose, like fat people flock to McDonalds. Should we ban all you can eat places or Nathans hot dog contest? I call shenanigans on the ban when we are the fattest country around what about their livers, not that I am the in muscle magazine.

I'll agree with the shark fin as wasteful. Frankly I don't get why they do it that way. You go to all the trouble of catching a tasty shark and throw all but the expensive fin back? Good shark is like $8-12 a pound at the store. It's pretty difficult for the average person to tell grilled Mako from Swordfish . Why aren't they processing and eating all that yummy fish? Now there's a cause I could believe in. Feed the hungry with those wasted sharks.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's pretty difficult for the average person to tell grilled Mako from Swordfish.

This is so true- mako is a great knockoff for swordfish at half the price, and I'm sure that many an unscrupulous fishmonger has passed it off as the more expensive fish. The blood line in the mako is shaped like an asterisk, while the swordfish bloodline looks like a seagull.

It was a big scandal in Florida when I was a kid in the 70's. My step father had a couple restaurants and the "chefs" didn't even know what they were buying.

In the 90's I was the Chef of the Balboa Pavilion on the peninsula in Newport Beach, and when they had the shark tourney, I would buy the Makos from the guys and serve it as a special. I remember cooking some of it and serving it side by side with Swordfish to the guys who ran the fishing boats as an experiment to see if they could tell the difference. I used a center cut medallion to give less visual clues. 4 of the 5 thought the Mako was the Broad billed sword.

Top Bottom