What's new

Foie Gras a Faux Pas?

Foie Gras a Faux Pas?

• Foie Gras is Culinary Heaven!

• No way Count…I think Foie Gras should be banned in the U.S..think of the Geese dude!

• “Art is King”

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Foie Gras a Faux Pas!

By Lawrence Downes - 23 June 2012 in the NY Times.

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/opinion/sunday/foie-gras-a-faux-pas.html

"This is the last week for legal foie gras in California.

A law to shut down the making, cooking and selling of super-fatty goose or duck liver takes effect July 1. Chowhounds from Chico to Chula Vista have been opening their wallets for restaurants’ foie gras menus, gorging themselves like birds before the winter migration. The law’s purpose is to end gavage, the ancient practice of forcing grain down the throat of a goose or duck until its liver is grossly enlarged. The law’s critics say gavage is hardly more stress-inducing than the many other things humans do to the animals they eat. The corporate operations that grow and slaughter pigs, poultry and cattle represent animal cruelty on an immense scale, they say, about which the foie gras ban does nothing.

But the law’s supporters argue that even small steps toward humaneness are important, and point to several countries in Europe that have banned foie gras (http://www.nofoiegras.org/legal.html). It is not known how energetically the state will enforce the ban and if any restaurant chefs will be willing to risk a $1,000 fine. Chicago enacted a foie gras ban in 2006. It was widely mocked and flouted and, after a couple of years, repealed. Chefs in California are already pushing for a repeal bill.

Meanwhile, “faux gras” recipes are proliferating on the Web. One chef suggests (http://www.canada.com/topics/lifestyle/food/story.html?id=b90db6ed-99ef-4069-a2f0-0cc582e0361b), soaking chicken livers overnight in milk with garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, searing them briefly, then puréeing them in a food processor with half their weight in soft butter. It’s your basic chicken-liver mousse, not foie gras but good. “You could mix almost anything with half its weight in butter and have a very nice spread,” said Mark Bittman, one of The Times’s experts on such things".

For those who enjoy Foie Gras...it can still be had @ Hudson Valley Foie Gras;

Read More: http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/

proxy.php
"Every morning one must start from scratch, with nothing on the stoves. That is cuisine". Chef Fernand Point

Attachments

• $24sun-img-articleLarge.jpg
    $24sun-img-articleLarge.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 209
  • $foie_gras_pic.jpg
    $foie_gras_pic.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I have a lobe in my freezer. Last time I made it I had Kangaroo with a piece of Foie on top with preserved lemon and a red wine reduction sauce. Fantastic!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't do veal anymore either. Yes, animals are killed for us to eat. But I will not be party to making a cow unable to move at all just to make the meat better.

Never had it, probably never will. I for one will stick to bacon! Maybe if they force fed geese bacon and Evan Williams to fatten the liver...hmmm.
EDIT: In retrospect, this could turn out to be detrimental to me personally, I don't want my liver to be sought out by afficionados.:scared:

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
EDIT: In retrospect, this could turn out to be detrimental to me personally, I don't want my liver to be sought out by afficionados.:scared:

Too late. You're already on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
No foie gras? How will I be able to make Tournedos Rossini*?

By sheer coincidence, Tornado Rossini was my ring name in my professional wrestling days.

Last edited:
I don't do veal anymore either. Yes, animals are killed for us to eat. But I will not be party to making a cow unable to move at all just to make the meat better.

Is this any better than turkeys being overfed to the point that they can't walk? Gobble gobble, I say.

I have only had foie gras on several special occasions. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it the first time, but had to admit that it was delicious. I've never seen it on a menu near me, but I would consider it if it was available.

How on earth is one supposed to have Beef Wellington on Christmas without it????

Activists . Worried about gavage, a 4500 year old part of animal husbandry, when every corporate grown chicken(and only one species anymore) in a grocery store has been given speed to keep it awake longer so it'll eat more and grow to slaughter size in fewer days.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Top Bottom