What's new

Fly Tying

Whipped up a couple more streamers this afternoon.

20230317_130003.jpg
20230317_132241.jpg
20230317_134459.jpg

Legion

Staff member
I went for a hike today, and found a small dam/water hole which I could see a bunch of fish swimming around. They seemed to be eating baby fish. I'm not certain what sort of fish they were, but might have been perch.

Anyway, I've never been fly fishing, but it looked like it might be a good place to practice casting for a beginner. The fish were not big enough to eat really, around 20cm at the most, but it made me tempted to try it out one day.

I went for a hike today, and found a small dam/water hole which I could see a bunch of fish swimming around. They seemed to be eating baby fish. I'm not certain what sort of fish they were, but might have been perch.

Anyway, I've never been fly fishing, but it looked like it might be a good place to practice casting for a beginner. The fish were not big enough to eat really, around 20cm at the most, but it made me tempted to try it out one day.
Sounds like a fun spot to try out!

Tinkering with a fly pattern that is new to me. The bucktail deciever. Tried a couple this afternoon. A standard bucktail deciever and a bulkhead version. I need alot of practice haha. The art of tying with bucktail is something I've always wanted to learn.

20230331_171656.jpg
20230331_211945.jpg

Some black midge pupae for those awkward trout that take them just under the surface. For use at my local 60 acre lake.

Hatching Black Buzzer
Hook:
Kamasan B400 #12
Thread: Uni 8/0 black
Tail breathers: A few white rooster hackle fibres
Rib: Mirage tinsel (small)
Body: Dyed black goose shoulder fibres
Thorax & head dubbing: 50/50 mix of black & dark claret seal fur, picked out with velcro along the top of the fly
Wing buds: Brown goose biots, trimmed
Head breathers: 3 or 4 strands of white marabou

Midges.JPG

BB.JPG

Friend in Roseburg, Oregon moved to Sri Linka after loosing business to fire in 1070’s.

His name was Dennis Black, had Black’s Fly Shop.

He showed up at 1975 FFF Conclave in West Yellowstone.

Has small box with about 100 Flies. He had women in Sri Linka tying flies.

The quality of his flies was top notch.

Business became Umpqua Feather Merchant.

Top Bottom