What's new

Fly Tying

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
🤔 Not a fly fisherman, but frogs will leap at one of these every time they're waved in front of one.

AA
I have videos of my wife and son feeding frogs bugs. His Gramma has a little decorative pond with Koi.... He was little at the time and I will never forget the joy he had in "taming" those frogs. Lol, they'd actually follow him around the pond! ..... precious memories.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
fullsizeoutput_5cb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5cc.jpeg

So wool or natural sponge, and you just hook and carry your flies on it while you're out fishing?
Like, instead of a tackle box?
Yep. They didn't always have floatent to keep the flies afloat as well. When they got waterlogged they needed a way to dry them to restore some of the floating abilities. I never was one to use patches. Always used fly boxes haha.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
So wool or natural sponge, and you just hook and carry your flies on it while you're out fishing?
Like, instead of a tackle box?
No, its a patch of sheep fur, you hook your flies in to dry them or just to hold them. In the olden days I knew a few old guys they did not use a fly box and just had their flies in the fur patch. I have an old vest that has one too.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No, its a patch of sheep fur, you hook your flies in to dry them or just to hold them. In the olden days I knew a few old guys they did not use a fly box and just had their flies in the fur patch. I have an old vest that has one too.
After this conversation when @Ponycarman mentioned "patches", I looked them up.
They mostly have foam ones, but there are some synthetic sheep's wool ones. I imagine in days of yore, it was genuine sheep's wool!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
After this conversation when @Ponycarman mentioned "patches", I looked them up.
They mostly have foam ones, but there are some synthetic sheep's wool ones. I imagine in days of yore, it was genuine sheep's wool!
I have my grandfather's fly book. It has real sheep's wool holding the flies he tied over a century ago. I save them and use newer flies. Besides, he was a dry fly man, and I have better luck with nymphs.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
So, I went and looked for my oldest fly fishing vest, and I found it!! Took a shot of the patch. It is indeed sheeps wool/fur. Even then, I would say some 45-50 years ago, they already had Velcro to attach the patch to the vest.
IMG_2543.jpg

Love to fly fish the Driftless Area of WI.
I used to tie my own flies, but stopped when my son was doing a far better job than me.
For those interested, and if you are not already doing so, SvenDiesel, on Instagram, is quite the fly tier.

FarmerTan

Love to fly fish the Driftless Area of WI.
I used to tie my own flies, but stopped when my son was doing a far better job than me.
For those interested, and if you are not already doing so, SvenDiesel, on Instagram, is quite the fly tier.
I've always assumed I'm too shtoopid to learn to fly fish. Looks to me like a cross between defying the law of gravity and black magic.

But I must admit, it does look cool to be standing in a river in waders in the middle of summer.

I've always assumed I'm too shtoopid to learn to fly fish. Looks to me like a cross between defying the law of gravity and black magic.

But I must admit, it does look cool to be standing in a river in waders in the middle of summer.
Easier than what looks. It is a weird sensation when the air temperature is 80°F and the water in which you are standing is 55°F.

FarmerTan

Easier than what looks. It is a weird sensation when the air temperature is 80°F and the water in which you are standing is 55°F.
I fish, when I fish, to not really catch fish, cuz then I gotta touch fish. I really always did it just to chill out. But there is a rush in setting the hook.

But I do wish I was cool enough to pull off looking like a fly fisherman!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I fish, when I fish, to not really catch fish, cuz then I gotta touch fish. I really always did it just to chill out. But there is a rush in setting the hook.

What you say makes perfect sense. I think of fly fishing chiefly as standing in a beautiful place and waving a sharp hook to keep others away. To me the "take" is the rush. It signals that you have done everything right to convince a trout that you are offering it exactly what Mother Nature has taught it to grab. I am intrigued by the concept of hookless fishing. People will still assume I am waving a sharp hook and stay away, but the fish will be far better off. Even barbless hooks damage fish. Now if you are in a river with large trout and using a very light line, rod, and reel, like 3 or below, actually landing a fish is a whole other kind of rush, but it requires a barbed hook (and equipment and bacon for cleaning and frying). Always drop a can of Danish bacon and a small bag of cornmeal into your pack when backpacking with your fly rod.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I always wanted to get into fly tying but I'm uncoordinated and have a short attention span. I'm also not very crafty and would probably end up wrapped in fishing line, covered in feathers and bleeding from the hooks.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"

Brother, please read the paragraph below, then find a local fly shop, sign up for some lessons & get out there … for me, the only cool thing about fly fishing is wet wading @ 8,000 feet up, in 90-degree temps. Nothing compares…

“I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going this way for the last time and I for one don't want to waste the trip. Because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters. Because in the woods I can find solitude without loneliness. ... And finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun”.
~ Robert Travers (aka, John D Voelker)

Its been a loooong time since I last tied a fly. Around 3ish years I think. Last night I actually sat down and tied a few. I'm a bit rusty but all in all not bad considering my long hiatus haha. Just tossing stuff together with stuff found on the tying desk.

20230310_212814.jpg
20230310_221217.jpg
20230310_225036.jpg

Top Bottom