What's new

Reel for a bamboo fly rod?

Thanksgiving day my wife’s uncle gifted me a bamboo fly rod his late brother made. Uncle C. Passed this year rather suddenly. He made beautiful split cane bamboo fly rods. He was an awesome guy and I’m honored to be gifted such an amazing thing he hand crafted.

It’s a 7.5. Foot 6 Wt. I want to get something that matches well and will do this rod justice. I can spend a couple hundred bucks. As I was looking around I did see this Redington reel on sale. Thoughts or recommendations please.
Pictures to show the color of the bamboo blank. I was told he used fire/flame to achieve this color? I have no idea how but it’s really beautiful.

7767571E-0DDC-4C73-AB31-96B69D031450.jpeg

1F6D5BA5-9CE9-4C8C-A278-E4AF616E1D86.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A Hardy Ultraclick is pretty snazzy, as is a CFO.

A Sage would be a great choice, too.

Might want to check out this site
Rick's Rods - Rick's Rods Vintage Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, and Tackle @ Denver, Colorado - https://www.ricksrods.com/ if youre looking for an older reel to match. He can help you get an appropriate size reel that should balance nicely. Him and his wife were real nice when i dealt with them.

The old Hardy’s and CFO’s are big bucks though. Same with new Hardy’s. Nothing wrong with an old Made in USA Pfleuger either, IMO. Would still look the part. The new reels are great, but something about modern and bamboo doesn't match to my eye. At 6wt, you prob dont need a heavy duty drag if your just doing trout and can ‘palm’ reel if you hook into a pig.

For me, the click and pawl sounds cool for a bit, but I lean towards the silent retrieval these days.

IMG_0612.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Cool Rod, built in a nodeless style. Not an easy thing to do. I think Bamboo rods should have a classic, old, click and pawl reel. I am partial to Hardy and Orvis CFO models. A Hardy LRH, Marquis, or perfect would be perfect, although maybe tough to find in the price range. A CFO IV would also be a good choice. Pfluegers are neat, but not for me, I don't like the sound of the clicker. Don't rush into it, take your time and find something classic.
Tell us what you chose once you get it!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
IMG_2841.jpeg
IMG_2791.jpeg

Hardy Perfect and Bougle pictured. Forgive me for trying to drive up your price, but bamboo deserves a classy reel. I sometimes see a nice new truck with a cheap-looking mismatched looking cap as a topper and think the same thing. Still, even though I'm a Hardy fan, Jayboz is also right about Pfleugers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
something that matches well and will do this rod justice

I agree with those who suggest a vintage reel rather than a modern one ... or at least a modern reel in the old style. To me, a new-style reel just wouldn't strike the right note.

View attachment 1766815View attachment 1766816
Hardy Perfect and Bougle pictured. Forgive me for trying to drive up your price, but bamboo deserves a classy reel. I sometimes see a nice new truck with a cheap-looking mismatched looking cap as a topper and think the same thing. Still, even though I'm a Hardy fan, Jayboz is also right about Pfleugers.
I like the full size cork on those rods. I have a 3 weight fiberglass rod with a full wells grip. I like the Hardy reels but yeah, I might have to save a little longer for one. That’ not a big problem as I’m not in a rush.

Ahh, i wish i had your restraint when it comes to gear. 😂

Spring is a few months away and that beats winter fishing anyways.

So, I'm the "got a fly rod last spring and still haven't had a chance to practice enough to put it on the water" guy. That said, I do have a little style.

That rod DESERVES a top-of-the-line (for the time) vintage American reel in perfect working and cosmetic condition, regardless of how long it takes you to find it.

That's a beautiful rod, and the connection to the creator makes it a priceless work of functional art.

I agree with most of what’s been said. Either a Hardy or an Orvis CFO. That will probably cost double what you were planning to spend. If you want to spend less, then a Made in USA Pflueger Medalist, or a JW Young Beaudex.

Whatever reel you choose, make sure the reel foot fits your rod’s reel seat.

Top Bottom