What's new

Fly Fishing Beginning Set/Outfit Recommendation

My wife and I are interested in learning to fly fish. I did a fair amount of fishing when I was younger, but I don't have any experience with fly fishing. We've signed up for a free class through a nearby Orvis that will help get us started with casting and the basics. In the meantime, I've started looking into rod, reel, and line sets/outfits marketed toward beginners. What would you recommend in terms of specific set ups that include a rod, reel, and line that we should consider? I've seen ones from Orvis (the encounter series), Bean (either Angler or Quest), Redington (Crosswater), and others, but it's hard to know what is a good value and a good introductory set up.

For what it's worth, I think we'd be mostly interested in fishing for trout, though perhaps we'd have interest in some small bass and pan fish as well. So, if I've done my homework right, it's probably a 5 weight rod and line that we'd want. Ideally, it'd be great to keep the cost under $100 per set up, but we could probably stretch the budget to $150 if it would really make a substantial difference. I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into it up front as I'm unsure of how much my wife will enjoy it, but I also don't want to get something so cheap that it wouldn't give us a good experience with fly fishing. Any recommendations?

I've been out of the fly fishing scene for a long time, but unless the world has shifted a 5wt set up is usually a good jumping off point. At the $100 price point I'm reasonably sure you will be relegated to some form of Chinese Carbon rod/reel combo from any manufacturer.

Im im sure the folks at Orvis will help get you in the game.

I never caught a trout flyfishing, but I use 8 line weight with hair bugs and small poppers
and bluegills and crappies love em.

Definitely go to the class first. See if you like it. Then ask the Orvis guys their recommendations, they should let you test a rod or two. I would lean toward a 9 ft. 6wt with a weight forward line, but a 5wt will work fine until you get to bigger bass flies. Orvis makes great fly rods but I have mostly Redingtons in my guide boat.

Living in Washington State, me want. Right now I travel too much. But all you fly fisher-folks, please post here. I want to be very knowledgeable when I find time to start.

Reddington makes a great starter kit. A nine foot, 6wt, with line, reel and case. Here in Canada we are at about $129.00 for this kit. I started my family out on these and they have worked great. One thing though....watch the bearings in the reel....rinse in fresh water, dry and make sure tension is off after every use.

Chadao, if funds are available, I would recommend hiring a guide for a day or two, or take a class like Brian is doing. You will learn the basics much quicker and get to use their equipment as well.

Chadao, if funds are available, I would recommend hiring a guide for a day or two, or take a class like Brian is doing. You will learn the basics much quicker and get to use their equipment as well.

Sage advice. It's easy to look at someone casting and think it's so fluid and easy, it's not.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a 3 weight mid grade Orvis set up. I love it, you really can't go wrong and they will be tons of help.

I also have a couple of Cabella 6 Weight for pan fish, not as nice as the Orvis but still function just fine.

Cabelas sells a 3 forks combo for $90 (on sale at the moment) that I think is a tremendous value. It includes rod, reel, backing, line and leader. The rod casts amazingly well for the price point. I have the 3 weight and it is one of my favorites, and have a couple of friends with the 5 weights and they are equally pleased with the setup.

I'd probably say the 5 weight is a good starting point.

Definitely go with casting lessons from a qualified instructor. This will be money extremely well spent, will stop any bad habits before it's too late & it will enable you to enjoy your first season more. It should only take a good instructor 2-3 hours to teach a complete newbie to fly cast proficiently.

Thanks for the tips, especially the mention of the Cabelas outfit as I hadn't seen that one. I'm definitely looking forward to the class and I'm confident that I'll enjoy it. I'm just a little less sure of whether my wife will, though I suspect she will as well. I've been to a couple fly shops in the area asking about "beginner set ups" and been a bit turned off to the whole idea as the price tag gets close to $500 per set up really quickly (~250 for rod, reel, & line, ~200 for waders and boots, ~50 for things like flies, tippet, etc.). One place even then insisted that we really needed guided trips on private waters. Surely there is a more affordable way of getting into the sport.

I'm hoping we can either just fish from the shore or wade without waders for part of the year to get a feel for things. I'm still also hoping for a decent quality beginning outfit that would come in under about $150. It sounds like the Redington outfits would be a good option as would the Cabellas outfit. The Orvis Encounter one would be at about the top end of our budget because we have some coupons a friend gave us that knock the price down a bit. I'd really appreciate any opinions on a good starter outfit. Any "best bets" for beginners?

Wet wading in July and August is the way to go. After your class, consider getting one set up and taking turns with it while you are out together.

L. L. Bean has the Quest ll series for beginners in your price range. I use an outfit I got from them 20 years ago. I had to replace the reel,only because I used and abused it,rod is still great.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Where do you live or where are you planning on fishing? I'm in Oregon, and out here in OR or WA I'd recommend a 9' 6 wt as a first set up. If you're in New England, I'd recommend a 9' or 8'6" 5 wt. rivers versus streams versus lakes matter too. I agree in taking he class Fest, but the where you'll fish question matters to some degree.

Brian welcome to a hole new rabbit hole(flyfishing). I have been flyfishing and instructing for twenty five years and I currently work in a flyshop in a cabela's destination store. You have received some great advise here already. I always start off a conversation with someone new to fly fishing by saying that if fly fishing is still a question mark for you, ie not sure if you will like it, go with an inexpensive outfit. But if you are fairly sure you will stick with it then there are other things to think about. As far as inexpensive set ups go the Redington starter sets are hard to beat. A solid company to do biz. with, fit and finish are pretty good and a price pt. that most can fit into the budget. The above mentioned Cabela's Three forks outfit is also a good choice. If you have a Cabela's store near you they usually have a free casting class during the summer months. As an instructor I would advise you to get some lessons and practice-practice-practice. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck and have tons of fun in your new adventure. All the best Frank Cerniwey

^ What he said: it is a new rabbit hole. I'm getting back into fly fishing and fly tying after a 15 year hiatus. Awaiting a new vise so I can again do tie my own flies; it makes fly fishing that much more enjoyable when a fish takes one of your homemade flies

Be careful about some of Cabela's inexpensive fly outfits--I've read user reports of their entry-level rods snapping. You might be better off buying a an inexpensive fiberglass rod and fly reel from Amazon. But if you buy fiberglass, don't get less than a 5wt, you'll want the added pole diameter so the rod doesn't 'buggy whip". A rod and reel can be had for about $75; you'll need line/backing and someone to load the reels, leaders, tippets, and a course in knot tying, three knots can take care of your needs; and someone to show you how to cast. There are some excellent videos on knot tying and casting. Check youtube. Fly fishing and the grandeur of nature, it's a great feeling. It you want to make it more humane on the fish, you can, as I do, use barbless hooks or get rid of the barbs by filing them so the hook is one smooth diameter from eye to point.

If you find that fly fishing is for you, move on to a good rod and reel: Orvis, Sage... there are many excellent rods and reels. If you buy quality gear, you'll have it for years.

Good luck and enjoy your quest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom