What's new

First Straight-razor

Thx Doc Dan, I just sent him message asking him to let me know if he can get anything amazing w/ Mammoth Scales. I like the Hillman, but must admit that an Asian piece is not very high on my Wish List. *I told him u told me about his shop.

First razor in China?

I'm thinking a twelve pack of Chinese Gold Dollar 66 razors.

By the time you learn how to hone those,
you'll be ready for something more expensive.
Was thinking along the same lines.
I am a newbie 2 months in and am using the Gold Dollar 66 razors to practice my skills

Ok, you talked me into it... Gold Dollar search, here I come! (certainly worth it for the 'novelty' factor alone). But while I'm here,, have a look at this Collection. Anyone think the value would appreciate anytime soon in a Western market? Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 23.32.31.jpg

Just in case you're not joking,
if you know how much something sold for, you can say that,
or if you've seen a fixed asking price, you can say that,
but otherwise
we're not supposed to do appraisals here.

No, I was not joking. Not supposed to look at something and say what we think it could be worth? Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder what the reasoning for that could be? Well, anyway, I will not ask what members feel an item might be worth anymore.

The reason is simple, Valuation is an opinion, something that only the buyer can put the final price on. What they are willing to pay, that day. The “value” can change from day to day, for any number of reasons.

I think it’s value is X you think it’s Y, next thing you know things get heated and somebody get banned.

You are correct. That is a simple reason, simple-minded. If adults cannot discuss something as commonly discussed in the real-world as prices, worths, values, perceived and/or published, without getting worked-up about it, then I fear for the state of our great nation. But hey, that could just be me... :kyle1:

The reason is simple, Valuation is an opinion, something that only the buyer can put the final price on. What they are willing to pay, that day. The “value” can change from day to day, for any number of reasons.

I think it’s value is X you think it’s Y, next thing you know things get heated and somebody get banned.
I believe it's also to prevent price manipulation, undue influence, etc. by anyone selling their gear. There were some issues related to that on other forums in the past.

Does this apply to retail prices on new items as well?
The price in this case is not a value judgment. You are just comparing one vendor to another. It's no longer an option. Either it is at a reasonable marked level or not.

There once was a guy in New York that was getting a lone on one of his properties. The bank asked what he thought it was worth and he told them, but advised that they seek their own appraisal…

Yea, you’d think we could as adults, discuss something as commonly discussed in the real-world as prices, worths, values, perceived and/or published, without getting worked-up about it… I fear for the state of our great nation.

haha,, ok,, I'll not ask for 'appraisals' anymore,,, but let me explain what I was trying to do,, overall, not just that one item. Ok,, here goes,, I'm new to learning about Straight Razors, and I live in China where Western goods can be subject to terribly inflated prices, and lack of availability so one cannot compare them on the local market. So, I just wanted to ask you 'Old hands' on here what you think of an item I find and yeah a big part of that inquiry was about the price. I'll lay-off though... I'm starting to get a pretty good feel for things now. Just shocked @ the price ranges here in China ,,, $5 (Gold China brand) to $500 (Boker)!

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 23.40.22.jpg*I gather it is still ok to show the price, just not to ask about what others think.

Like I said in this thread or your other one, it doesn't matter so much about what it looks like (just buy something not too expensive because more than likely your tastes will change in terms of size, grind, weight, etc) but make sure it is properly honed. You shave with the edge, the rest is just a delivery system.

One thing is for certain. There is a huge difference between a Thiers Issard and a Gold Dollar in steel quality and overall build quality. Chinese razors are soft and don't hold an edge nearly as well as a good Western razor. TI runs theirs very hard. Collings runs his pretty hard, as well, but different steel. Both take and hold a good edge for a while. There is a huge quality difference that is immediately apparent and unfortunately reflected in the price.

One thing is for certain. There is a huge difference between a Thiers Issard and a Gold Dollar in steel quality and overall build quality. Chinese razors are soft and don't hold an edge nearly as well as a good Western razor. TI runs theirs very hard. Collings runs his pretty hard, as well, but different steel. Both take and hold a good edge for a while. There is a huge quality difference that is immediately apparent and unfortunately reflected in the price.
From my own research done I believe you are correct. GD razors for me are meant as an introduction into shaving with a straight, cheap and cheerful. Coming from DE shaving it made sense to me. Having said that the plan is after 6 months or so using a GD to improve technique, I do plan to ‘upgrade’ to either a vintage straight or a better quality modern straight.

From my own research done I believe you are correct. GD razors for me are meant as an introduction into shaving with a straight, cheap and cheerful. Coming from DE shaving it made sense to me. Having said that the plan is after 6 months or so using a GD to improve technique, I do plan to ‘upgrade’ to either a vintage straight or a better quality modern straight.
We all have different beards. Some days my beard can be really though for different reasons. Also, if i use a dry lather and don't do a proper prep i can ruin a perfectly good GD edge in one shave. However, if i do a good pre-shave prep, and my beard/skin is in good condition i can get allot more out of even a GD edge.
My beard have also gotten tougher with age.
So, if you don't have a particularly tough beard, and use a well hydrated lather, and a good shaving technique, a GD might work quite well, in my opinion.

Top Bottom