What's new

First Shave With Feather Artist Club SS

Hello, Gents.

I had my first shave this morning with my new Feather Artist Club SS folding razor (black handle). It was a bit awkward at first, but once I found the angle, I have a very comfortable and close two-pass shave. Normally, I'm a three-pass shave guy, but this thing demolished the stubble quite handily.

After the first pass (WTG), the stubble was reduced enough to complete an immediate ATG pass and I was finished. Normally, I do WTG, XTG and ATG. I used a Feather ProGuard blade for the shave.

Even though I'd prefer (at this point) to shave with my regular straights, my busy life doesn't always allow time for maintaining my straights. Some days, I really have to shower, shave and run and I don't want to always have to revert to my DEs. That said, a couple weepers on my face following this morning's shave demonstrate that the FAC razor shouldn't be rushed either :blushing:.

Looking for a bit of guidance here regarding blades...Is the blade difference between the Feather ProGuard and Professional blades significant? Comfort differences?

Thanks.

Once you get the technique down, I think you will like the Pro blades better. That is my experience anyway.

Once you get the technique down, I think you will like the Pro blades better. That is my experience anyway.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I have an order to make next month and I'll likely add a box of Pro blades to it. As the day goes on, I have noticed that my face feels great. That was a very smooth and close shave this morning.

The non-gaurded blads may feel extra-sharp/harsh/dangerous the first shave or two, but they mellow out quite nicely for shaves 3-10. Or at least they always did for me.

Im also a fan of the KAI Mild blades, they are my faves.

The non-gaurded blads may feel extra-sharp/harsh/dangerous the first shave or two, but they mellow out quite nicely for shaves 3-10. Or at least they always did for me.

Im also a fan of the KAI Mild blades, they are my faves.

Hi Craig,

I've read a bit about the KAI blades. I'll have to track those down. I assume some of the common vendors stock these?

**And these KAI blades will fit in the FAC razors no problem?

I had the pleasure of trying this implement on a recent tour.
I used the KAI blade throughout and found it and the razor to be a pleasure.
I only did a little bit of ATG experimentation, though.
Even so, the shaves were great. Using Myrsol Emulsión as a pre-shave helped.

I had the pleasure of trying this implement on a recent tour.
I used the KAI blade throughout and found it and the razor to be a pleasure.
I only did a little bit of ATG experimentation, though.
Even so, the shaves were great. Using Myrsol Emulsión as a pre-shave helped.

My prep is basic, but good and I use some pretty slick soaps. ATG wasn't a problem at all. It's a heavy razor, so the touch is a bit off from my other straights but it wasn't a real problem. More of an observation.

I'll use it a few more times then compare it to a couple of straights that I finished on 1u film, followed by a dozen laps over TI paste. These straights are sharp and smooth.

Looking for a bit of guidance here regarding blades...Is the blade difference between the Feather ProGuard and Professional blades significant? Comfort differences?

Thanks.

You'll eventually decide on the blade that's right for you, Jason. I really like the Feather Pro Supers in my Artist Club.

I DO recommend that you DON'T go trying different blades with reckless abandon. I had a VERY brief period where I did that with the Feather milds and the Pro Supers. Ended up cutting myself a lot. Must have been a blade angle/hand muscle memory thing for me. Anyway, it wasn't fun.

Don

You'll eventually decide on the blade that's right for you, Jason. I really like the Feather Pro Supers in my Artist Club.

I DO recommend that you DON'T go trying different blades with reckless abandon. I had a VERY brief period where I did that with the Feather milds and the Pro Supers. Ended up cutting myself a lot. Must have been a blade angle/hand muscle memory thing for me. Anyway, it wasn't fun.

Don

Thanks, Don. I will stick with these Feather ProGuards for a bit. I certainly have no complaint about their performance on the inaugural shave.

Jason, congrat's and thanks for sharing.
Keep at it! I love my Feather Proguards!

$tabac feather kent clubman apr 3 2014.jpg

+1

If you are using a standard straight razor now, I think you will eventually find the Pro blades are the best in this shavette.

+1.

I have Artist Clubs SS, RG and DX. I have trialed the Guard, Pro and Super Pro and the Super Pro is my preference for all.

Cheers, George

Thanks, guys. I do use a standard straight so I'll get myself comfy with these ProGuards and then perhaps step it up. I know the ProGuards are less aggressive than the pro blades or supers, but I had a BBS shave in 2 passes (with minimal touch ups). I'm impressed with this thing.

Shave #2 with the Feather Artist Club SS - ProGuard Blade:

Great shave today. Smooth, close and comfortable BBS. By giving this razor the respect it needs and allowing the blade to do the heavy lifting is key. I use a thin, wet lather and I could see the blade slicing the stubble. I gave myself one weeper trying to dig for hair and once I eased off, tightened the skin...the blade did the work. I like this thing a lot.

Incidentally, I opened up the razor to clean it and the blade dropped into the sink. Would that drop be enough to damage the blade?

Incidentally, I opened up the razor to clean it and the blade dropped into the sink. Would that drop be enough to damage the blade?

Personally, I'd change it. The smallest ding could be an eye (and cheek!) opening experience.

You really don't need to take the razor apart for in between shaves cleaning. I've always just rinsed the blade and head under running water, and dry with a backward stropping motion against a towel. I only disassemble the head for a thorough cleaning when changing blades; on average, after seven days.

Don

Personally, I'd change it. The smallest ding could be an eye (and cheek!) opening experience.

You really don't need to take the razor apart for in between shaves cleaning. I've always just rinsed the blade and head under running water, and dry with a backward stropping motion against a towel. I only disassemble the head for a thorough cleaning when changing blades; on average, after seven days.

Don

Ok. Thanks. I'll change the blade before tomorrow's shave. No point in risking a wound to save a few pennies.

Glad to hear you're liking the Artist Club SS. I have the non-folding version and love it. I've only used the Pro Super blades and get a great shave from them. I just received a pack of Pro blades so next blade change I'm going to give them a try. The Pro Guard blade is just a Pro blade with the wire guard so making the switch to the Pro blades shouldn't be difficult for you.

Glad to hear you're liking the Artist Club SS. I have the non-folding version and love it. I've only used the Pro Super blades and get a great shave from them. I just received a pack of Pro blades so next blade change I'm going to give them a try. The Pro Guard blade is just a Pro blade with the wire guard so making the switch to the Pro blades shouldn't be difficult for you.

Thanks. I did a bit of research and took a closer look at the different blades. I did a 3 pass (WTG, XTG and ATG) today. Smooth, close and comfortable. I think I can go back to skipping the XTG, though. This razor gets so close after the first pass.

Top Bottom