What's new

first shave. not so great

Let me just point out that no razor is good if you do not spend time reading and watching videos with istructions and techniques. First do that and then try experiment with the staright you already have. Do not expect perfect shave. Consetrate on technique and take your time.

I decided to do a little reset. First off, the TI with the heavy metal scales was too heavy. I bought a 5/8 half ground Dovo and it is a refreshing break not to fatigue my hand.
Second, I looked at youtube videos again and I realized that I really need to stretch the skin in order for anything to get cut.
So the shave today was not half bad. I looked shaved! my biggest problem now is the chin area and the below the nose. I can't find, yet, an effective way to stretch the skin there to form a flat plane for the razor to work on.

But I am encouraged. the previous shave was a disaster and this one is a major improvement.
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

my biggest problem now is the chin area and the below the nose. I can't find, yet, an effective way to stretch the skin there to form a flat plane for the razor to work on.

But I am encouraged. the previous shave was a disaster and this one is a major improvement.
Happy thanksgiving everyone!
Chins are tough, it took me a while to get that area clean of whiskers.

2nd shave with the half hollow dovo went rather well. It was presentable and got the "better than when you used cartridges" award from the management. I even got the chin.
I already nicked the poor man's strop, I should have gotten the other 2-strops deal instead.
I also learned that both spine and edge need to be in contact with the strop, not just the edge. I wonder how much damage I did to the hone...
Both razors pass HHT but I have to move the hair quick and at a certain angle otherwise it would just roll off.

I am encouraged. I wish I could change the title of this thread to something less negative.

Last edited:
We ALL nick our strops at first. If it isn't too deep, just rub it down with some higher grit sandpaper until it smooths out, if it gets in your way, and maybe a drop of neatsfoot oil on your palm and rub it down if the sanded area needs it afterwards.

I am encouraged. I wish I could change the title of this thread to something less negative.

You could always start a new thread as a shave journal, to document progress going forward in the positive way. There are several of us with less than 20 straight shaves under our belts so far here that have one.

Glad to hear the second shave went better than the first tho. :thumbup:

Who needs coffee? It has been a long time since I got out of the shaveroom so alert and awake.

thats exactly how i felt after my first shave with a SR.

Also I know you have been having some difficulty on your chin (im still working on it also, seems to be one of the more difficult areas to get) I'm not sure what your grip is for the chin area, but a friend showed me a grip/motion that has helped me with the chin area.

I'm assuming your using your right hand. So you would have the point end pointing left with your pinky finger pointing away from your face, and you kinda use a rolling motion where your pinky goes from pointing away from your face to facing down.

Not sure if this is a normal grip or not, but it has help me with the chin area.

Top Bottom