What's new

First Impressions: The New Muhle Toothcomb R41

Can someone help me learn a little bit more about razor design ... I've seen a lot of discussions about blade gap, and about open vs closed comb razors. But I've seen little about the curvature of the blade as it sits in the head. Is this of no importance other than what angle you hold it at while shaving? In this thread it seems that the "flatter" blades is thought to be more aggressive, but of course there could be lots of reasons for that other than blade curvature. Nonetheless, I'd be interested in knowing if there is thought to be any general relationship between the blade being held relatively flat, vs curved, in terms of how "mild" or "aggressive" a razor is.

Can someone help me learn a little bit more about razor design ... I've seen a lot of discussions about blade gap, and about open vs closed comb razors. But I've seen little about the curvature of the blade as it sits in the head. Is this of no importance other than what angle you hold it at while shaving? In this thread it seems that the "flatter" blades is thought to be more aggressive, but of course there could be lots of reasons for that other than blade curvature. Nonetheless, I'd be interested in knowing if there is thought to be any general relationship between the blade being held relatively flat, vs curved, in terms of how "mild" or "aggressive" a razor is.

this is an excellent question, the answer to which I would also be grateful to know.

It seems to me that if the blade is held at less of a curve, you would just have to hold the bottom of the handle farther away from your face to get the blade to the angle you want, and vice versa. Can't imagine how it could truly affect "aggressiveness" per se. Another example would be the Merkur bakelite razor, which bends the blade to an extreme angle but is said, nonetheless, to be fairly aggressive.

As if anyone here feels sorry about ordering another razor....*fg*

(or making someone else order one)

I have the R41 OC and think it's great - one of 3 in my rotation. I've had the EJ 89L and this sounds like a hybrid of these two. I couldn't resist and have also ordered one.

The logic here seems to be "if you are an experienced shaver, you can move up to an aggressive razor". That logic is wrong. A really good razor is one that can be used by anyone.

Your reasoning is flawed. You could learn to drive stick on a Porsche but it'd be bad for the Porsche and maybe not so great for your wallet... not when there are $100k iridium sapphire-bladed razors to be had. Big boy razors are for big boy shavers.

Do I understand this correctly? Didn't Muhle drop the R89 a few years back because it was too aggressive and came out with the kinder, gentler R41? Now they're back to an open comb model so frighteningly aggressive that it comes with a warning?

I haven't used one, but I'm going out on a limb and say I doubt it is more aggressive than a Barbasol or the R89.

Do I understand this correctly? Didn't Muhle drop the R89 a few years back because it was too aggressive and came out with the kinder, gentler R41? Now they're back to an open comb model so frighteningly aggressive that it comes with a warning?

I haven't used one, but I'm going out on a limb and say I doubt it is more aggressive than a Barbasol or the R89.

Muehle haven't discontinued the R89, to my knowledge.

Most people seem to find that it is a fairly mild razor but, as always, YMMV.

Sadly I have some R89 types and used them before, so probably that experience must have blurred my opinion. I didn't notice that the shave is actually quite similar to that of a R89.
Obviously my fault.

So we can settle on: If you experienced it, you'll agree it is a different beast. And if you have never tried one, it's best to assume it is less aggressive than a R89.

:confused1

Top Bottom