What's new

First Coticule

A few years back was watching one of those fishing shows, where some old guy and crew were fishing for tuna (not the new drama shows) old school, real fishing. He whipped out a knife to gut a fish and a massive 12 inch coticule. Slapped the yellow side on the hatch and sharpened the knife on the dark purple/ BBW, then tossed the stone into a wooden box like it was a rusty old hammer, never even looked at the yellow “backer”.

Makes perfect sense, my BBWs leave a keener edge on any tool in comparison to my Coticules.

The coticule came in the mail today, it's glued back together (just slightly off, moved after I had it set, of course) but firmly attached.

Lapped both sides, it's pretty hard, and the coticule side is light tan with a silk fabric sheen to it. BBW side also has a sheen, slightly different texture. May have to resort to grit on that side, has some defects and deep scratches. Also has some traces of yellow in it, must have been glued with the coticule side down.

Both sides are quite smooth after lapping on a 300 King Deluxe stone, will see next week what it hones like. I'm packing for Thanksgiving now, so won't have time to use it until then.

Pics when I get back, don't have time to mess around getting them downsized and transferred until later.

Top Bottom