What's new

Fed up with (Iron)ing

If you're already doing your laundry at a laundromat, check and see if they have a "fluff and fold" service or something of the sort. That should pretty much eliminate the need for ironing, or at least significantly reduce it.

I'm ironing almost every week most of my laundry (yes, including my jeans), and have never any problems.
I use a steam iron and very rarely a bit of calcium comes out of the steam holes, but this doesn't really stain, and starting your ironing on the inside of some insensitve clothes (e.g. the jeans, you wash them inside out, don't you?) helps.
It's a Tefal (T-Fal in the US), btw.

A nice rowenta iron will blow away any cheap-o iron. If you get crud/scale on the iron there are iron cleaners to keep your iron and clothes clean.

I loathe doing laundry! I consider it work without reward. Seriously, I'd rather watch paint dry. It's all about the fluff and fold. Two trips to the cleaners is a whole lot quicker than doing the wash? Hmmm. Ironing is even worse! If I did not take my pants and shirts to have them washed and pressed, I would be perpetually wrinkled.

Some thoughts:

Look in second hand shops/salvation army stores for a decent old iron rather than new junk.

Keep your water in a separate spray bottle.

If something needs ironing, it goes to the dry cleaners. We have a dry cleaning service at work that picks up and drops off twice a week. We even get a discount. That makes it too easy not to use the service.

According to the aficionados at Ask Andy, dry cleaning is very tough on clothes - something to be done only, perhaps, at the end of the season before storing. Steamers are the way to go. As to irons, I agree with the recommendations for Rowenta.

I take my collared shirts from the washer and hang them up. This takes away most of the need to iron.

As somebody said earlier, take dress shirts to the dry cleaners.

If you really need to iron something get a wife or girlfriend. They won't let you leave in something wrinkled.:biggrin:

Yeah right. I married the only other person who hates to iron more than I do. :lol:

According to the aficionados at Ask Andy, dry cleaning is very tough on clothes - something to be done only, perhaps, at the end of the season before storing. Steamers are the way to go. As to irons, I agree with the recommendations for Rowenta.

True, which is why I ask them to "launder" and press them. My shirts last a long time.

I have been using a Panasonic steam iron for at least 6 years and have never had a problem. I have used tap water, never had a clog, etc. I'm not sure the model, but it's similar to this current model. The cord retraction works very well when needed.

When (if) it dies I will look at the Rowenta (which is about 3x the price), but until it does, I have no reason to change.

+1 on vinegar cleaning.

i dip starch all of my shirts using hot water and corn starch. ironing is a breeze and your shirts are so crisp that they can basically stand up on their own.

you dont need a fancy iron. mine was like $20 at target.

1/2 cup starch mixed with 2 cups cold water in a bowl.

boil 2 cups water. add the mixture to the boiling water and stir until mixed well.

add 2 cups COLD water to the pot and mix well.

set in a vessel to cool

this ratio is for 2 shirts.

In the police academy we had to iron the uniform every morning to put the creases in place. Since I left it I do not iron. I will hang a wrinkled shirt in the bathroom but no ironing.
It is more a matter of laziness than choice.

Top Bottom