What's new

Featured Aftershave - Musgo Real Classic Scent

Musgo Real Classic Scent

Claus Porto, originally Claus Schweder, was founded in 1887 as the first the first national factory of soaps and perfumes in Portugal. In 1995 to support international marketing the brand Claus Porto was created and the line was expanded into more luxury markets. These folks have been making perfume and soaps for a long time and I think it shows. They are very focused on maintaining their tradition and philosophy much like us here at B&B. If you get a chance check out the website for some great history and product information.

proxy.php

As we’re moving through the cold dry winter I find myself reaching for more moisturizing aftershaves. For me the Musgo Real splash is a perfect choice.
Unlike some alcohol based splashes it has quite a few skin care ingredients like Aloe, Witch Hazel and Echinacea. I find it does an excellent job of eliminating razor burn and moisturizing my face. It goes on feeling a little heavy or tacky, I’m not sure if it’s the castor oil or one of the other ingredients but it absorbs quickly leaving the fast soft and comfortable. Don’t let the initial feel put you off this is a great splash and although it feels a little different going on it’s great.

The scent is a wonderful vetyver and patchouli combination that reminds me of a barbershop. Not an old man scent but more of a traditional masculine scent. It has decent staying power and I get a few hours before it fades.

I enjoy the shaving cream which I find has a different scent but I have not yet tried any other products. I expect to change that soon. The Classic Scent splash can be found for around $20 or less if you use the discount from one of our supporting vendors.

Ingredients:
Alcohol, Aqua (Water) (Water), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) (Aloe Extract), Perfume, Glycerin, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium PCA, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel Extract), Echinacea Pupurea (Coneflower) (Echinacea Extract), Bisabolol

Outstanding feature, Kevin! :thumbup1:

I love Musgo Real, and even enjoy how it goes on. It's the scent that gets me, sometimes i love it and sometimes i don't.

SWMBO gave me a bottle each of the splash and balm for Christmas. Both smell great, but the balm is much more subdued. Both leave the face feeling very soft and smooth.

The splash is the first alcohol based product I have been able to tolerate on my face after shaving.

Can you tell me which of the Musgo colognes most resemble the scent of the splash?

Musgo real will always have a place in my den. I love that it is alcohol based, but it also has something in it that always leaves my face moisturized.

I believe I'll be using it this evening :thumbup1:

Excellent write up. I too find myself reaching for this as my faces dries during the cold winter days we have had here at the beginning of the year.

Okay, Musgo fans. Help me out here. I have the shave cream and glyce lime soap and love them. I can't purchase the rest of the Musgo line all at once, or SWMBO will turn me out on the streets. She also thinks the shave cream is a little "old man" smelling (although she is wrong!).

So, what would you recommend as the next must have in this line? The aftershave splash that instigated this thread? The aftershave lotion? Or the pre shave oil?

Okay, Musgo fans. Help me out here. I have the shave cream and glyce lime soap and love them. I can't purchase the rest of the Musgo line all at once, or SWMBO will turn me out on the streets. She also thinks the shave cream is a little "old man" smelling (although she is wrong!).

So, what would you recommend as the next must have in this line? The aftershave splash that instigated this thread? The aftershave lotion? Or the pre shave oil?

Splash!

Aftershave splash hands down! It doesn't smell like an old man at all. In my opinion, the cream and splash are completely different scents. :thumbup1:

Outstanding feature, Kevin! :thumbup1:

I love Musgo Real, and even enjoy how it goes on. It's the scent that gets me, sometimes i love it and sometimes i don't.

I completely agree with you Josh.
Immediately after splashing, Musgo AS seems a dead ringer for the shaving cream fragrance, but when it later fades I sometimes get a kind of sweet soda scent on my skin...
Other than that, it's a great aftershave splash! :001_smile

So when you guys use this, is it the only thing on your skin after the shave, or do you follow it up with anything (balm or lotion)? From the list of ingredients, it sounds like a complete package.

It really is a classic barber shop scent. The vetyver and patchouli combination is one of my favorites. Musgo classic is subtle, I think. And the moisturizing properties are significant. I am used to using a harsher, more alcohol based AS. So, this is a nice alternative for me in the dryer, winter months.

Good review!

So when you guys use this, is it the only thing on your skin after the shave, or do you follow it up with anything (balm or lotion)? From the list of ingredients, it sounds like a complete package.

Just the lotion should take care of you.

I recently got the splash and the balm and I am really impressed with the splash: it feels like a balm in moisturizing and in the lack of typical splash "sting".
A little goes a long way, I usually apply a few drops with a wettish face to help spread it and it feels great.
The balm is good/very good but the splash is just so much better than anything I tried that the balm gets left behind....

Excellent stuff! I'm wearing it today and it's mid thirties celecius here. At first it seems like it would be a bit heavy for a hot day, but in reality its great because it's quite subtle on the skin. The only negative comment beyond it feels a little greasy if you go heavy and that's fixed by applying it to damp skin.

I've only tried the aftershave splash and two of the colognes and I'll highly recommend the splash.

Top Bottom