What's new

Feather ASD2

Hi All,

Is the hype and price really worth it. Does it shave like a dream(YMMV) Anyone like or dislike the Feather ASD2.
Thank you for any comments.

I like it - it is the lightest weight in my rotation (ATT S1 Colossus, Hone Type 15, PILS 101NE and the Feather ASD2)

That said, I find it to be a comfortable shave, I don't find it terribly aggressive, but it has the ability to bite you if you don't respect that it is a DE ... but that is true of just about all razors I guess.

As far as being worth the price, the workmanship is nice, but probably no better than other razors that are less expensive. That also would depend on the person too and what their comfort level is.

I have it, and it is a good razor so mild you can shave every day without irritation. I believe many razors will be able to to give you the same shaving without costing 200usd....Today I may have looked at Rockwell, if it was important for me to get a All Stainless. Sorry....

Thank you for the nice comment..I'm sure there are better razors that shave similar to the feather and less expensive.

The ASD2 does not shave like the ATTM1 IMHO. At least not for me! I find that I nick myself often and have serious burn if I do not take great care with the ATTM1 razor. The Feather is as efficient and harmless as I have ever experienced in a DE and the tolerances are very tight. Some compare it to a Gillette Tech but I find the Feather AS-D2 to be superior and it is stainless steel. Easy to clean and keep clean. I also have the Rockwell razor which is also very nice and has adjustability with all the different plates, but the Rockwell is not finished to the level of the Feather AS-D2. The Rockwell is much thicker and very heavy, the Feather is much thinner and lighter. The Feather has adjustability too if you search through blades with different sharpness levels. With a Feather blade it is truly very efficient!! A razor for every day shavers All this of course IMHO!

Thank you oldjoe,

So your saying that the M1 has a tad bit of a bite versus the Feather. Have you compared the Feather to the Tech. I have the EJ 89L and it's mild IMO. Thanks for the write up!

Thank you oldjoe,

So your saying that the M1 has a tad bit of a bite versus the Feather. Have you compared the Feather to the Tech. I have the EJ 89L and it's mild IMO. Thanks for the write up!

If you think the 89 is mild, you probably won't like the Feather. I had one and sold it. I like my ATT M2 a lot better. It's mild and efficient. I also thought the handle of the feather was too long.

I had one but sold it when I realized my Gillette pre WWII Tech provided the same smooth great shave everyday. In fact, I think the Tech provides a better shave than the AS-D2 but that's just me. There's no doubt the AS-D2 is a very well crafted stainless steel razor, but when a $12 Tech can out run it and out shave it, well, you get the idea ;-)

I've had an AS-D2 for over a year now and it has become one of my favorite razors. My AS-D2 delivers an extremely comfortable shave and I've found that it shaves about as close as my pre-WW2 Tech. The Tech I have is a touch more efficient than the AS-D2; however, there is something special about the way the Feather shaves that has earned it one of the top spots in my rotation (usually 1-2 days per week--I generally default to my Wolfman OC, which is my clear favorite).

The AS-D2 doesn't work well for some guys, yet it's a excellent razor for many others.

...but when a $12 Tech can out run it and out shave it, well, you get the idea ;-)

I completely agree. If you're on a tight budget or simply wish to limit your investment in this hobby, I think a $10-$15 Tech is a great alternative to the much more expensive AS-D2.

Soooo in other words, why pay 200usd for a razor being compared to razors at 1/20th the cost? You could try so many other razors until you found your niche and not come near the price point of the ASD2 IMO.

I love my ASD2. I use it in rotation with an ATT M2 Kronos, an ATT bronze Atlas (usually the R1) and a Fatboy set anywhere from 5 to 7.

The ASD2 is by far the most gentle razor I have used, I don't believe I've even had so much as a nick. It works extremely well with Feather blades. The finishing is excellent. All of my ATT products, while well made have had minor burrs left over from the machining process (not just machining marks, those are expected).

My only complaint with the Feather is that it is perhaps too good. I don't have to focus as much on my technique as co pared with say the Fatboy on 9, or the R1 ATT.

Only way to find out if it is for you is to give it a try!

The Feather AS-D2 is a beautifully made, efficient but very comfortable razor that you can shave with every day and get a great shave. My only worry is that it is so easy to use that I might get lazy with my technique and then when I go back to other razors get bitten.

I bought one because I wanted a high quality steel razor that would last forever and I really like how comfortable it is.

I've got the AS-D1, and as far as how it shaves; I use it for when I'm in a hurry as my follow up, and less commonly as the only one.
I can and have dry shaved with it holding either a Derby Extra and a Feather.

Top Bottom