What's new

Fatip OC vs. R41 vs. Rockwell

Three close shavers, assuming the 6C or 6S on #5 or #6 plate. Three affordable (6C) and popular choices. All capable of BBS if you want that.

Is it hard to choose between them or do you have a clear favourite or rank order of the three?

I have a Fatip Piccolo and a Rockwell 6s and I definetely prefer the Rockwell as the shaves are as close or even closer but much smoother and easier to get with my Rockwell.
Fatip is much more aggressive and requires much more attention.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I have all three, which I use with a chunky titanium handle. I abandoned the 6C for the Fatip and got into thinking open combs were better all round. Then I got excited about the R41 and these two continue to give me good shaves. Today I pulled out the Rockwell #5/6 plate and used it with the same titanium handle and it was much, much better than I expected from using plate #4 with the stock handle. I found #5 similar to the Fatip and #6 similar to the R41. Smooth and close shaves, no irritation or problems. So for me, not much to choose between all three using a Nacet blade in each. But the handle makes more difference than I thought.

The R41 is a real outlier on your list.

The Fatip is a nice brass razor with an affordable price. You’ll find the efficiency somewhere in the range of the Rockwell 6C. Excellent blade support.

The Rockwell is the best value due to the variations. I have the 6S and it’s one of the smoothest razors I’ve ever used. Keep in mind, it’s a very mild razor by design. Plates 1 and 2 will get little to no use. Most find a sweet spot on 5-6, myself included.

The R41 in my opinion would be like a 9 or 10 plate on the Rockwell. There is nothing I’ve found with more efficiency. It will bite. Requires a careful steady hand and is not a good daily driver. It lacks the blade support of others. For thick, course facial hair and several days growth it’s a great shaver (for me). Trouble is, I shave daily and it doesn’t see much use for that reason.

Good luck!

The Rockwells benefit is imho the smooth shave without Irritation.
Using a Fatip it is possible too, but requires lot more attention. I don't want to say it's not fun to use a Fatip but it's more difficult and requires better technique.

I have the Rockwell 6S and the Muhle R41. The Rockwell is much smoother and a relaxing razor to employ. The R41 seems to be a troublemaker to me. I will keep it around to remind myself how much I like the 6S.

I have the Rockwell 6S and the Muhle R41. The Rockwell is much smoother and a relaxing razor to employ. The R41 seems to be a troublemaker to me. I will keep it around to remind myself how much I like the 6S.
So I do with my Fatip.

I have a Rockwell 6S and Fatip Piccolo Special Edition (OK, I bought 5 SEs, but I've only used one -- the other 4 are spares for the future). I also bought a 2013 R41 head from Connaught, but haven't taken it out of the plastic because I've been so satisfied using the Piccolo.

I bought the 6S first, and I liked it a lot at the time, but after I started using open comb razors, the Piccolo became my daily driver. Initially, I was put off by the aggressive reputation of OCs, but once I broke the ice, I found that I get close shaves and that blades typically last 2 to 3 weeks for me in an OC. I don't push (much) -- let the weight of the razor do the work -- and I stretch skin when shaving areas where my hairs grow angled close to the skin (as opposed to sticking more straight up).

I also consider a RazoRock Old Type and a SLOC, as well as a PAA BOCS to be in my rotation, but I haven't used anything but the Fatip in over a month.

The R41 is a real outlier on your list.

The Fatip is a nice brass razor with an affordable price. You’ll find the efficiency somewhere in the range of the Rockwell 6C. Excellent blade support.

The Rockwell is the best value due to the variations. I have the 6S and it’s one of the smoothest razors I’ve ever used. Keep in mind, it’s a very mild razor by design. Plates 1 and 2 will get little to no use. Most find a sweet spot on 5-6, myself included.

The R41 in my opinion would be like a 9 or 10 plate on the Rockwell. There is nothing I’ve found with more efficiency. It will bite. Requires a careful steady hand and is not a good daily driver. It lacks the blade support of others. For thick, course facial hair and several days growth it’s a great shaver (for me). Trouble is, I shave daily and it doesn’t see much use for that reason.

Good luck!

Почему пластина 1 и 2 не используется? Используется с лезвием Feather и очень эффективно. Не забывайте ,что все мы разные. И кожа, и щетина. И бритьё получается гладкое и практически в BBS.

I have the Fatip and R41. They're pretty different. I think if I had to choose one as my only razor, it might be the R41. I can get pretty comfortable shaves with it even using it daily as long as I use a steep angle. I fairness to the Fatip, I probably haven't used it enough to get really good with it but it's never given me consistently comfortable shaves. They'll both shave more than close enough of course. In the interest of full disclosure though, I'll more than likely sell off both of them at some point. I've got too many razors I like more than both of them.

Почему пластина 1 и 2 не используется? Используется с лезвием Feather и очень эффективно. Не забывайте ,что все мы разные. И кожа, и щетина. И бритьё получается гладкое и практически в BBS.

Most find the first two plates too mild even with extremely sharp blades like Feather or Kai (which has more blade exposure)

Top Bottom