What's new

F.W. Engels Splitting Scales

I’ve had this razor for many years and it is a great shaver. It’s had a split scale at the pivot just below the bolster that was there when I acquired it. I think I tried CA glue at one time, but obviously it didn’t work.

Any ideas on a good repair solution? Or would it be best to replace the scales? Can the bolsters be preserved and reattached to new scales?

What do you restoration experts think?

Attachments

• IMG_6225.jpeg
    IMG_6225.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6226.jpeg
    IMG_6226.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6227.jpeg
    IMG_6227.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6230.jpeg
    IMG_6230.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6232.jpeg
    IMG_6232.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 22
It would be a shame to discard that nice inlay work on the pommel. It appears that the razor was bent or dropped and this deformed the brass bolster (photo 5). This stressed the scales and one cracked. If it were mine, I'd file the rivets and disassemble, flatten and true the hardware, and glue the broken scale when you can apply some pressure to the joint. If this doesn't work, you've got it apart for replacement scales. I've never dealt with straight razors, but I've restored and built folding knives.

Alternatively, you could try to find the same or similar Engels razor with good condition scales on eBay. I see a couple of similar razors on eBay some with worn out blades. Not sure if they are the same size.

Top Bottom