What's new

Everything cheroots cigars

Hello everyone. I recently noticed a lot of buzz circling around the interwebs in regards to cheroots cigars: what's a cheroot? which is the "best" cheroot? And which cheroot did Clint Eastwood smoke in his spaghetti western films? Look no further, I got you gentlemen covered.

1. A cheroot is a cigar with both open ends. They're typically pre- cut with a loosen foot( tobacco lightly protruding ). Cheroot is actually a French word which is pronounced as "Sher-oot". If you couldn't tell, Cheroots are extremely popular Western films. Popular actors such as client Eastwood, tend to be seen smoking them, amplifying their rough "macho" appearance. They got me sold! Growing up, All I wanted to be was a cheroot smokin cowboy lol. Cheroot leaf wrappers are typically dark and should be either Spanish or American leaf grown. Most recently, Sumatra wrappers are commonly used to make cheroots but Sumatras aren't American nor Spanish, they're Indonesian lol.
Cheroots are mostly thin, a ring gauge around 28-32. Most cheroots are around 3inches to 4 inches in length and Most cowboys of yesteryear used to hand roll them before heading on their next adventure, so they should be"rough looking" in appearances. The tobacco should be American grown( Kentucky /Tennessee ) or a mix of American and Hispanic tobaccos. Cheroots should be a "quick smoke" lasting only a few minutes, hence: their shortened size In length. In any case, they're very enjoyable to smoke with tones of flavor sure to please any cowboy!

2. Currently, cheroots now come in a large array of flavors, colors and sizes etc etc. But to keep things authentic, let's just stick to the basics as mentioned above. As far as their strength profiles, they range anywhere between mild to full flavored. Smoking either strength is purely subjective. Unfortunately, there's many companies that poorly manufacture cheroots. These cheroots are commonly found at your local gas stations and grocery stores. Just to name a few brands that make these cheap poor quality cheroots are: Game, Backwoods, Zig Zag, Swisher Sweets and Owl. Cheroots and cigars in general, should always be made with high quality tobacco and wrappers for rich enjoyable flavor to discover its pleasing aroma and delicious notes on your pallet. They should be rolled without additives/chemicals to override its horrible taste. You'll find lots of manufactures that market their cheroots/ cigars with sweetened flavors like: candy sour apple flavors, cherry, piña colada, chocolate etc etc etc...It's all garbage. Tobacco is not naturally grown to taste like my daughters piñata candy filler! I don't prefer to smoke chemicals thank you.

There's a few other companies that make horrible cheroots: Bandidos and Ugly Coyote are horrible as well. I ordered a bale of bandidos ( 60 count cheroots for around $40) from a certain well known reputable online shop. Once they arrived, I noticed they come in a burlap sack....this was a little alarming. After inspection, I found lots of burlap fibers that covered my cheroots, at the time I didn't think much of this so I just blew them off and smoked it. After having smoked 3 cheroots, One cheroot in particular had a sharp harsh flavor to it ....then the flavor immediately transitioned to a very nasty aroma with a disgusting tart taste. I knew something was wrong so i put it out and ripped it open. I found a long burlap string in my cheroot!! Yuck! I smoked burlap!!!!!! This is unacceptable and dangerous!
I opened a few more and noticed that the vast majority of these bandidos were contaminated with burlap strings/fibers. I reached out to the website where i bought them( thompson cigars)and they refunded my money. But the mystery remains....where in the F#ck are Bandidos made? There isn't anything online to identity their location, they don't have a website, they don't have any forms of contact info. Someone needs to be held accountable whoever makes Bandidos! Also, Thompson and other "reputable" cigar websites needs to start ensuring their suppliers are creating a safe and clean product before they sell them to the public! If we're smoking and spending good money on cigars, we have a right to know if manufactures keep their productions with high standards of safety and quality. For all we know, Bandidos are made in hidden basement full of 7 year olds getting paid 5 cents an hour lol. Now as for Ugly Coyote cheroots, they just suck. They smell like hay, they're not "mild" as advertised since they're very spicy/full flavored and they are very delicate. The wrapper is dry and flaky. They burn hot to touch and fast.

Kentucky fire cured are an acquired taste, they are very stiff and tend to be on the spicier / full flavored side of the spectrum. Companies like Avanti, di nobili, parodi etc etc make these cheroots authentic to the original concept. They are fairly readily available, you should find them at your local drug stores and or at Wal-Mart. The only down sides are: they have a distinct aroma to them...because They are indeed fire cured, they smell like "Grilled meat". I personally don't mind Kentucky fired cured cheroots but everyone who comes within 20ft in contact with me after having smoked one, says " you smell like you just came from a cook out". For this reason b Kentucky fire cured are not my everyday smoke. I personally think Victor Sinclair's cheroots are an excellent choice for cheroots! You get great quality all around and they sell them for around $40 for a hundred count..yes a box of 100 mild 4inch X 30 Cheroots for $40!
vrc-pm-1016_art.png

A few more excellent choices for cheroots are: J. Fuegos " Overruns". J. Fuego is a huge respected cigar company. They collect their " run offs" PREMIUM high quality tobacco and make a cheroots! Genius!! For a 50 count at around $44! Very creamy, mild and wonderful aroma.
tc_j81205_et027096_3.jpg

You boys should also look into a company called Ole Shanadoah. You can pick up these cheroots for a 40 count at around $20! They are made with a maduro wrapper and high quality medium strength American harvested tobaccos from the Appalachian hills.
os1-pm-1008.jpg

3. Now as far as which cheroot did Clint Eastwood smoked in his western films? Answer: Kentucky fire cured cheroots. It was also rumoured that clint didn't not enjoy fire cured cheroots. Apparently, he enjoyed cheroots that were more on the mild side but only smoked the fire cured on set to fulfill his role as the " rough tough" looking cowboy that smokes harsh fire cured cigars. Again, Avanti, parodi, tuscanos, dinobili and a company called Kentucky Cheroots make excellent Fire Cured cheroots but be forewarned....it's an acquired taste because of their harshness and aroma.

Best of Luck boys. Reach out if you have any recommendations or comments. Peace!✌

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Being mostly a pipe guy, cigars are an occasional treat, and I mostly buy them based on shape (based usually on literary references) or price. Cheroots are one of my favorites (because Athelstan King in "King Of The Khyber Rifles" was frequently described as smoking one). My top two choices are De Nobili Popular, and Red Lions. I didn't care for the Banditos either, finding them to be too much like Backwoods, but of lower quality. I have been known to smoke Backwoods, but not often.

Di nobili populars and Red Lions are excellent cheroot choices. They're very delicious especially with a drink of bourbon. They have are Full of rich flavor. The red lions are a size 34, a little larger than most cheroots and they're on the higher end of medium in profile strength. Unfortunately, I have heart burn from time to time so I tend to stay away from spicier smokes. As much as I'd like to enjoy fire cured cheroots, I'm personally better off with the mild profiles.

I started smoking backwoods as they were my entry into cigars. I mean those smokes are everywhere you look lol. Years ago, I didn't have a standard to use to differentiate and distinguish a premium smoke vs gas station cigars. I'm 33y now and still have lots to learn but after experiencing premium smokes, there's a huge difference. To me, I think backwoods tastes like playdough and it leaves a very dry sticky feeling in my mouth( I was 4 once, so yeah..I know what playdough tastes like lol).

I hear ole shanadoah makes a decent pipe tobacco, have you ever tried that? Any good? If I were to pipe, I'd enjoy a mellow Cavendish.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I still smoke Backwoods every now and then. Even with some mighty fine sticks in the humidor.

Would those factory overruns technically be considered Cheroots since they have a closed end?

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I hear ole shanadoah makes a decent pipe tobacco, have you ever tried that? Any good? If I were to pipe, I'd enjoy a mellow Cavendish.
I have not tried it. It's caught my eye a few times, but I was always looking for something else and never pulled the trigger.

Perhaps I was a little hard on Ugly Coyote cheroots. I still think they're on the spicy side than what's advertised and they smell like barn hay and it's alarming that Ugly Coyote has absolutely no method of contacting them. I've tried googling them and there's no contact info, not even a Facebook page. Famous smoke and other websites refuse to also give me any contact info as well. I don't know about you guys But if I'm smoking and spending good money on my cigars..... I need to be assured that they're made in a safe/clean manufacturing environment. But with that aside, The "original sweet" cheroot pouch is made of handuran tobacco and is wrapped in a hubano seed leaf.
To be really honest...It does have a decent flavor to it.
Screenshot_20200317-225253.png

I think that "barn hay" smell is actually called "twang" and apparently, "twang" is part of the nuance/design with certain cigars. Now that i look back on it, perhaps I'd try ugly coyote cheroots again( for that twang purpose).

They also have a "black" pouch that is another decent smoke. It has Nicaraguan tobacco and a maduro broadleaf for that medium/Full flavor.
Screenshot_20200317-225821.png

Henry clay cheroots are on the harah/spicy side end of the spectrum and they're arguably way too large to be a "traditional" cheroot. Henry clay's are i believe 6-7inches and around 38 ring gauge. They're a good smoke but I'm not to confidant they're actually a cheroot.
Screenshot_20200317-230901.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom