What's new

Every Restoration does not end happily

When people come and ask how simple it is to replace a knot in an vintage brush many will jump in and state that every replacement goes well, it is easy as pie and so on.

Well, there is one thing I say to that, come in to the real world. There are many real world issues that affect vintage brushes.

Remember that many of these items are well over 50 and some up to 100 years old and they were meant to serve a single life use and not be restored decades later. Materials such as wood, Catalin, Bakelite and more modern Thermoplastics have obviously aged. With this aging, both deterioration and fatigue sets in. Some can be easily seen some cannot.

In addition to age and fatigue, some makers even used different internal designs and the brushes on the outside looked alike. Some of these changes were made to reduce cost and some were made due to issues with prior production methods. Either to improve a flaw, or to make assembly easier.

In both cases these flaws and issues may not be readily identified if they are internal to the handle and cannot be detected by visual inspection or by handling inspection.

Case in point, I had recently obtained two Lord Chesterfield two piece handled brushes. One had a white top and a butterscotch bottom and the other had a black top and a butterscotch bottom. They looked alike on the outside except for the color. Both brushes had Generation 1 Nylon knots.

The first one that I restored can be seen in the following thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ration-by-GDCarrington!?p=5327617#post5327617

The next one turned out quite differently. In this brush the top part of the handle had no hole. The knot set on a shelf that was integral or seamless with the top part of the handle. So when the bit was applied to remove the knot, the hidden shelf cracked and carried that crack along the top part of the handle. Now here is a before and after image.

proxy.php

The first brush (white over butterscotch) had a thick top and a true hole and cavity existed that was filled with both the knot and fill material.

The second brush (black over butterscotch) had a thin top which had no open hole and no fill material. The knot rode on top of the uni-body top section of the handle. Any major disturbance of the knot was going to break the top part of the handle. So when I came along drilling out a pilot hole, the entire top section cracked. Now at this point someone might bring up the steam method, but since the walls of the handle were thin and the knot was merely epoxied on the top, the heat would have distorted this miserably.

The reason why I am posting this is not to "scare off" people from restoring brushes. It is quite the opposite. Why I am posting this is to show that the restoration of brushes brings a sense of fulfillment in bringing an antique or even a more modern brush back to a level of quality that can serve for years to come. However, you must take the bad with the good and if you restore enough brushes, you will run across design flaws, age and fatigue, and simply some brushes that were not constructed well in the first place.

The great majority of brushes can be restored with little to no issues at all, however, I think it is important that if you are busy showing off your successes, you should also show your failures to provide a true and balanced view. So if you find a person who states they restore brushes and have never had a failure, either they have not restored a large enough quantity to incur one, or they are merely stating only one side of the story.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I want to make it clear that this posting is not meant to be directed at any individual but is a general statement only.

Last edited:
Excellent topic. I've had several refurb failures.

The meltdown:

Drilling out the knot. Within two seconds (I kid you not) it torched.

Snap, crackle, pop:

Both of these brushes experienced the same fate. I was in the process of cleaning them up (prep for knot removal), water on knots, and. . . . .well, it's obvious. lol I'm guessing the knots expanded and the handles couldn't withstand the pressure (age of the handle material, etc.).

We learn from our successes. . . .as well as our failures.

Gents, your honesty is refreshing. All too often we boast about our victories and hide our failures.

As Thomas Edison once said: "I am not discouraged because every wrong attempt discarded is a step forward."

My first restoration was also a learning experience. I used a colored epoxy instead of clear. I still use the brush but its not pretty. I posted it on here a while back.

We learn from our successes. . . .as well as our failures.

True.

I had a similar incident with one of those very small Rubberset brushes.

A gentleman in the U.K. had purchased a Rubberset brush and he wanted me to restore it since he had seen other restores. I reminded him of the risks and well as the rewards and he said this is a small brush but it had the knot cut off and it was worthless in the condition it was in so he sent it over.

Well, the knot was even smaller than 16 mm. So I showed him this photo of an attempted plan but stated that if this worked it would be more fortune than skill.

proxy.php

Well again, we agreed to proceed and so I got my Dremel and made a small pilot hole and then got the small sanding drum and went to work. I had the hole expanded and while doing so, unknown to me a metal ring was receiving stress and maybe even heating up. Suddenly here is what happened.

proxy.php

So both the owner and I were disappointed in the outcome, but he understood the risk and hoped for the reward. He is now searching for a larger Rubberset but he stated he wanted the right look (more than likely similar to this one) to try again.

I've only undertaken a few restoration projects and, candidly, fully appreciate that I've been fortunate thus far. Many times I've caught myself doing something-- usually trying to speed up the process-- that very well could've ruined the handle. Even proceeding carefully and being patient, though, I certainly understand that when dealing with vintage brush handles, things easily can end badly. Great post, Mr. Carrington.

I personally have never damaged a brush during restoration! Then again, I've never restored a brush!!
:001_tt2:

I couldn't resist....

I've never taken photos of my failures, but I can assure you that there were several! Anytime you start messing around with these old brushes, you're taking a risk, no matter how careful you might be. It's an acceptable risk, but you can't deny that it exists. When it happens, I mumble and curse a bit and then move on. There's always another handle...:001_rolle

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I cracked one trying to force the knot in. It also had the metal ring, I removed the ring to fit a 16, but the walls were quite thin. I was able to fix it, but it was only temporary. A few days later, I dropped the brush and it exploded into 25 pieces.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Those Erskines look like the Century I'm restoring now (fingers crossed!).
My colossal failure was sending the drill bit through the bottom of the plug and out the thin sidewall of an ER 100T, black and cream, luckily cheap and readily available.

Last edited:
Those Erskines look like the Century I'm restoring now (fingers crossed!).
My colossal failure was sending the drill bit through the bottom of the plug and out the thin sidewall of an ER 100T, black and cream, luckily cheap and readily available.

I had an ER100 simply shatter because of the thin walls could not hold the pressure of the drill. Unfortunately it was a 100G which was black and butterscotch. Oh well.

I was grinding the metal ring on a "Century" when it caught fire. Freaked me out because I couldn't make it stop burning. I held it under running water and it kept on smoldering and burning. Finally held it under standing water and it stopped. Wish I had taken a picture before I tossed it. Lesson learned.

My fails were not quite as catastrophic, but I learned quickly that even one of those polishing pads on a dremel can remove or melt a piece of handle before you can say Jack Robins....oh crud.
My Ever Ready C40 has a couple of these blemishes as I was trying quickly - too quickly - to take out the middle mold line.

I was grinding the metal ring on a "Century" when it caught fire. Freaked me out because I couldn't make it stop burning. I held it under running water and it kept on smoldering and burning. Finally held it under standing water and it stopped. Wish I had taken a picture before I tossed it. Lesson learned.
Sounds like it was made from celluloid...very flammable stuff. They burned down a lot of movie theaters before they switched to something a little less combustible.

Top Bottom