What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

10x2.5" dark blue.

609CFA1F-9A28-4D85-BA1D-F487A4608800_1_201_a Large.jpeg

What's the difference between a db thuri, moltted thuri, a lb thuri? I've got questions about some things that the internet doesn't have answers for. If there are answers they're here, and I got a good guess where they'll come from.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Lapping this was goofy, it clogged the paper immediately. It does feel insanely smooth, so I will see if this defeats the prejudice I have towards absurdly soft stones for razors. Bonus points to the hone for lying right on the label about the wire vs other rocks. View attachment 1782101View attachment 1782102View attachment 1782103View attachment 1782104View attachment 1782105View attachment 1782106
They are silly soft. Does it have the inclusions on the side? I’ve have 8-10 of those and many of them have the pyrite looking inclusions in the middle.

I got this little natural light blue stone in an etching knife kit(thinking of gluing it to another one that is unknown, for backing it's ¼") and it's exactly what I'd imagine my DB and LG would be like if the had a baby. I've never been a thuri fan boy but I'd like one of these in barbers delight, and am probably going to go on the hunt for one soon. Pm me people. I really like the edge it put on my knife in 20 strokes(already finished knife, gtg).

20240118_212708.jpg20240118_212656.jpg

Fuchs/Fox 44's are good stones. And yeah they are what the "Soft" and Y/G Thuri love comes from.

I love all Thuris, but if a new guy asked me if he should get an Escher y/g or a Fuchs 44, I'm saying get the 44. I've had 5? I think and they were all butter/velvet soft and fine. Those stones were picked to a crazy exacting standard. The Escher will work every bit as well; but may not have that same feel... and that feel is special.

Who snagged that 10" Escher? (Nevermind, Matt already posted it. Nice score!)

edit: I almost mentioned that David had found artifacts/flaws in some of his; but couldn't remember for sure that those were Fuchs or not... I've never put enough wear on one to get into the Middle of the stone and reveal any of that stuff*... but David did send me some samples of his... So be cautious about that... but if your stone doesn't have that issue... they are fantastic Thuris.

*I always owned them back when I used my Thuri's much more than collected them; so anything boxed/labeled got resold at the time to fund buying more unlabeled stones to use due to the disparate value of labeled vs unlabeled Thuris. Doubt I kept a Fuchs for more than a month or two at any given time.

Last edited:
What's the difference between a db thuri, moltted thuri, a lb thuri? I've got questions about some things that the internet doesn't have answers for. If there are answers they're here, and I got a good guess where they'll come from.

In usage? There's no consistent rule.

Mottled Thuri didn't exist as an Escher color; but Dark Blue did and Green/Light Green did.

Dark blue was the cheapest; Yellow Green was the most expensive in price lists. Blue Green and Light/Green were in between (forget the order of those two).

Dark blue are the most abundant. Y/G are definitely the best selling/most in demand now. Most guys I've seen who have collections either like YG or BlueGreen with a slight edge (from what I've seen) for BG.

I don't really have a preference for color... I've had plenty of every color to get soft dark blues and rock hard yellow greens. Most people think yellowgreens tend towards softness and dark blues tend towards hardness.

The hardest stones I've had were the "late era" blues that tended almost black and are sometimes called mottled... and what I think are late era y/g's that are seen sometimes in the preen boxes and I call "greyGreen" which often have swirls/other artifacting.

But across the hundred or more Thuri's I've owned; I've found the razor I'm honing has much more to do with the final edge than the particular Thuri I'm on... to the point where definitely saying one thuri is finer than another would require so much effort and control that I'd deem that metric pretty meaningless. I've not found a razor yet that isn't a great shave off a Thuri or that is noticeably better off one Thuri over another. My impression is that the vast, vast, vast majority of color preference on Thuris' comes from guys buying dark blue slates that are not thuris and reporting that they are inferior.

That said; the feel does vary a decent bit on Thuri's... but that's not perfectly aligned with color. It does seem to tend softer on the earlier Y/G whereas DB's kind of run the spectrum.

And of course everyone who wants to have a Y/G will put every unlabeled Thuri they own under the harshest white light imaginable trying to argue that their LG/BG/Even DB is in fact a YG.... and then talk about how great and soft their YG is... So that pushes YG reviews up too.

I quite like the off cut yellow green I have. Mainly because it is quite a bit firmer than usual for one. Best escher I ever had I still have, it's cloudy looking and they literally threw the label over skin on the back that had a crater of material missing. But the stone is awesome...

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I almost mentioned that David had found artifacts/flaws in some of his; but couldn't remember for sure that those were Fuchs or not... I've never put enough wear on one to get into the Middle of the stone and reveal any of that stuff*
You can usually see them from the side of the stone. I’ve seen them on the Fox 44’s and on several labeled Eschers. One of my favorite thuris has them in the middle, but so far they haven’t been an issue.

All I see on the sides. Just taking the corner of a se blade nothing snags or clicks

Attachments

• PXL_20240119_165925417.jpg
    PXL_20240119_165925417.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240119_165930862.jpg
    PXL_20240119_165930862.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom