What's new

English 70s era aluminum techs. Like new cheap

Does your 50s English tech have the aluminum base plate? If so i have that razor as well and I'd say this is a step up in efficiency. The best way I could explain it is that its somewhere in between a brass US ballend tech and a US pre war tech. For me its right in the middle of those two so definitely has its own place. The head is.almost as light as the 50s English aluminum so I'm guessing the gap must be alittle larger? But that's just a guess. If someone else knows I'd love to hear about it.
No, it appears to be an all brass head, cap and baseplate.

Mine is nicely efficient, coming in at around 32gm. Very head heavy.

I hear what you are trying to describe. I have both examples you mention and that gives me a range. Well worded Sir.

Appreciate the response!

Last edited:

Appreciate the response!
I'm sorry I do not have that razor to compare it to. The other English tech I have is a ballend all brass. But I have not shaved with it.

Appreciate the response!
Im really enjoying this little tech, but If I had to pick between your 50s aluminum handle - brass head and this 70s aluminum - zamak head. I'd pick your 50s. I'd also guess and it's just a guess that they would shave somewhat similar. Ofcourse u could get yourself one and let us all know hahaha.

I suspect that they are Irish army military surplus, that or British army.

Techs were still an issue item to the early 80's in various militaries, including the United States.

@pow0622 @Goblin @BradWorld what do these mid 70's English Techs shave like? My most modern English Tech is an aluminium handled type from I believe the very late 50's. The handle is basically identical to these examples. I have no issue with zamack.
View attachment 1736313

Any info on efficiency that you may have noted?

I've never really thought about getting a late example English Tech, but that's a good price.

View attachment 1736333

View attachment 1736334

Thats my 50's Tech from the side.

And that's me going into the garden and lighting a big fire and thinking of buying one.

See you stressed me out now with FOMO.
The 50s and the 70s Tech have a significant difference. The cap on the 50s clamps 80-90% of the blade surface, making the blade very rigid. But the exposure is a tiny bit less than on the 70s. On the 70s clamping is only at the cap ends, so not as rigid, but exposure is just a hair more. So with the 70s you might get a closer shave. But you might not. The difference is not that big. The 50s rigidness makes it easier for me to get cuts, if I am careless.
Mind you, some users won't tell a difference at all.
So, instead of squatting there by the fire, just buy one, while they are still available.

Last edited:
T
The 50s and the 70s Tech have a significant difference. The cap on the 50s clamps 80-90% of the blade surface, making the blade very rigid. But the exposure is a tiny bit less than on the 70s. On the 70s clamping is only at the cap ends, so not as rigid, but exposure is just a hair more. So with the 70s you might get a closer shave. But you might not. The difference is not that big. The 50s rigidness makes it easier for me to get cuts, if I am careless.
Mind you, some users won't tell a difference at all.
So, instead of squatting there by the fire, just buy one, while they are still available.
Thanks for the detailed and sage advice Ivan.

I am not squatting.

I am poised. To buy.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have several dozen Techs from several countries of origin, and with various available construction materials. Although they all shave slightly differently from one another, they are also similar enough that I don't really pay that much attention to the finer differences in shave. I am talking specifically about standard Techs, not flat bottoms or Hybrids. Those shave a little more differently than a standard Tech. It’s mostly the weight that has an impact for me, versus any revelation in head geometry variation. I prefer a heavier razor. And these 70’s Techs are light. So I sometimes will put the head on a heavy handle. I do know that despite similar shave results, the 70’s heads with the faceted zamack cap do seem a small bit smoother than older models. But not enough to make a difference in preference on one versus another. The one outlier being the “1932” Canadian Tech, which I find to be a bit more aggressive than the rest.

I have several dozen Techs from several countries of origin, and with various available construction materials. Although they all shave slightly differently from one another, they are also similar enough that I don't really pay that much attention to the finer differences in shave. I am talking specifically about standard Techs, not flat bottoms or Hybrids. Those shave a little more differently than a standard Tech. It’s mostly the weight that has an impact for me, versus any revelation in head geometry variation. I prefer a heavier razor. And these 70’s Techs are light. So I sometimes will put the head on a heavy handle. I do know that despite similar shave results, the 70’s heads with the faceted zamack cap do seem a small bit smoother than older models. But not enough to make a difference in preference on one versus another. The one outlier being the “1932” Canadian Tech, which I find to be a bit more aggressive than the rest.

What is a "standard" Tech?

There are sometimes significant differences in gap and exposure even in two perfectly identical looking Techs from the same factory within a 3-4 year period only. Have 86 Techs - US, German, English, French made, even open comb.

lasta

Blade Biter
I suspect that they are Irish army military surplus, that or British army.

Techs were still an issue item to the early 80's in various militaries, including the United States.

@pow0622 @Goblin @BradWorld what do these mid 70's English Techs shave like? My most modern English Tech is an aluminium handled type from I believe the very late 50's. The handle is basically identical to these examples. I have no issue with zamack.
View attachment 1736313

Any info on efficiency that you may have noted?

I've never really thought about getting a late example English Tech, but that's a good price.

View attachment 1736333

View attachment 1736334

Thats my 50's Tech from the side.

And that's me going into the garden and lighting a big fire and thinking of buying one.

See you stressed me out now with FOMO.

Good to put a real face to a name!

I always found the profile Ladd a bit effeminate for your writing style.

Top Bottom