What's new

English 70s era aluminum techs. Like new cheap

He has both V & W date codes.
This is starting to intrigue me?

When I saw the date code W my brain power recollects that W is 50/51 ok I will check the full list to be a pedantic nong! ok, 51 it is. Both mine have no date codes!
51 + 27 alphabet letters gives a date that i'm not worrying about, took me 13 seconds to get over being a pedantic nong.

I'm more interested in the suggestion they were hospital prep razors. Hence this little story:- I once knew an old man who lived to be 99.9 years old, poor old ***** snuffed it 9 years ago, he was an electric shaver user. I know his daughter very well, it's taken her about 8 years to deal with his stuff.

When visiting, round twelve moons ago, she asked if I would like some of *****'s various items, I never look a gift horse in the mouth, you never know if you take out the trash buried in it might be treasure. She picked up a gillette aloominum handle razor, gave it a glazed look and hucked it in the box for me.

I thought to myself, only a bleedin aloominum ... poo! but thanks anyway:D [that gift horse and trash treasure thing] free is free, hide ya disappointment! Now that is one of the two dateless aloominums that I have.

After the suggestion of prep razors, I was thinking one day on where the razor came from. Then the light bulb began to flicker, it's only 40watt and runs on half voltage most times, you might say it's the fridge light, only comes on if the doors open.
Dear ole ***** had had both his hips replaced, he showed us his x-rays complete with a zipper in one. So he was in hospital, and probably prepped ... does this explain how a aloominum razor was in his possessions?

I'm going to arks his daughter one day what year that was, in my recollections it may have been 45 years ago or more?Mid to Late 70's ........ damn the plot thickens, like over cooked custard.

Musings of a Quiet Madman next door, it's always the quiet ones you look out for, don't you know? :D

When I saw the date code W my brain power recollects that W is 50/51 ok I will check the full list to be a pedantic nong! ok, 51 it is. Both mine have no date codes!
51 + 27 alphabet letters gives a date that i'm not worrying about, took me 13 seconds to get over being a pedantic nong.

I'm more interested in the suggestion they were hospital prep razors. Hence this little story:- I once knew an old man who lived to be 99.9 years old, poor old ***** snuffed it 9 years ago, he was an electric shaver user. I know his daughter very well, it's taken her about 8 years to deal with his stuff.

When visiting, round twelve moons ago, she asked if I would like some of *****'s various items, I never look a gift horse in the mouth, you never know if you take out the trash buried in it might be treasure. She picked up a gillette aloominum handle razor, gave it a glazed look and hucked it in the box for me.

I thought to myself, only a bleedin aloominum ... poo! but thanks anyway:D [that gift horse and trash treasure thing] free is free, hide ya disappointment! Now that is one of the two dateless aloominums that I have.

After the suggestion of prep razors, I was thinking one day on where the razor came from. Then the light bulb began to flicker, it's only 40watt and runs on half voltage most times, you might say it's the fridge light, only comes on if the doors open.
Dear ole ***** had had both his hips replaced, he showed us his x-rays complete with a zipper in one. So he was in hospital, and probably prepped ... does this explain how a aloominum razor was in his possessions?

I'm going to arks his daughter one day what year that was, in my recollections it may have been 45 years ago or more?Mid to Late 70's ........ damn the plot thickens, like over cooked custard.

Musings of a Quiet Madman next door, it's always the quiet ones you look out for, don't you know? :D
Those V and W razors are 1975 and 1976 respectively.
The faceted cap and notched plate Tech were started in 1961. The 50s W code plate and cap are different.

If you have a picture of the razor that has been gifted to you I could tel you which year or period it is from.

Those V and W razors are 1975 and 1976 respectively.
The faceted cap and notched plate Tech were started in 1961. The 50s W code plate and cap are different.
50 or 51 ... add 27 ... 77 or 78, damn I got it wrong for a guess, and not being pedantic, sorry won;t happen again.

61 still fits inside my little story, so I'm happy :D

50 or 51 ... add 27 ... 77 or 78, damn I got it wrong for a guess, and not being pedantic, sorry won;t happen again.
Why do you add 27 or 28?
There are 26 letters in the alphabet. But Gillette missed the Q code. So you need to add 25. Or just know them by heart, ahem, like some collectors.

Why do you add 27 or 28?
There are 26 letters in the alphabet. But Gillette missed the Q code. So you need to add 25. Or just know them by heart, ahem, like some collectors.
correct 26 letters in a alpha bet
w to w inclusive is 27 minus q is still 26

as a collector of razors, that lives in the Australian Outback, who is under the threat of fire as I type, I've got bigger fish to fry than be pedantic over one year, its going to be a LONG night! so I'm talking smak on a web site, to while away the hours because once that fire breaches the top of that hill, the fan hits the caca!

AHEM, not all collectors are so hung up on memorising date codes, all I need know W is 51, and H is 62, by memory.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is a great deal. Techs with the Zamak top caps are grossly under appreciated shavers. The zamak will last forever if you don’t damage it. I have a bunch of these same razors. Got a great deal years ago on a lot of these same razors NOS in boxes with blades. Gave away a bunch. Sold a couple. Kept a couple. These are very good shavers. To all that ordered them, enjoy! To those on the fence, grab one while you can.

Mine arrived. There is an area of a few mm square above the grip where the handle is a bit scratched up, but other than that it's completely spotless.

I don't really care about that scratching - purely cosmetic. In the UK, Techs tend to start at about £15 regardless of condition, so £12 for a NOS "scratch n' dent" is still a decent price. I just wanted to mention in case anyone is thinking that the razors are 100% clean, although I think the small print on the listing does mention that some of the handles may be a little dinged. No regrets. I might order another if there are still some left in a week or two.

Mine arrived. There is an area of a few mm square above the grip where the handle is a bit scratched up, but other than that it's completely spotless.

I don't really care about that scratching - purely cosmetic. In the UK, Techs tend to start at about £15 regardless of condition, so £12 for a NOS "scratch n' dent" is still a decent price. I just wanted to mention in case anyone is thinking that the razors are 100% clean, although I think the small print on the listing does mention that some of the handles may be a little dinged. No regrets. I might order another if there are still some left in a week or two

I don't really care about that scratching - purely cosmetic. In the UK, Techs tend to start at about £15 regardless of condition, so £12 for a NOS "scratch n' dent" is still a decent price. I just wanted to mention in case anyone is thinking that the razors are 100% clean, although I think the small print on the listing does mention that some of the handles may be a little dinged. No regrets. I might order another if there are still some left in a week or two.
i first ordered 2 and they where completely cherry and beautiful. After starting this thread i figured i better nab another while i can and ordered another one. I will look this one over carefully and see how it arrives. If i got lucky with my first two i hope the luck holds out haha. i do hope u enjoy the shave with yours :)

I suspect that they are Irish army military surplus, that or British army.

Techs were still an issue item to the early 80's in various militaries, including the United States.

@pow0622 @Goblin @BradWorld what do these mid 70's English Techs shave like? My most modern English Tech is an aluminium handled type from I believe the very late 50's. The handle is basically identical to these examples. I have no issue with zamack.
IMG_20211213_211606767.jpg

Any info on efficiency that you may have noted?

I've never really thought about getting a late example English Tech, but that's a good price.

IMG_20221009_205543733.jpg

IMG_20211011_195832380~2.jpg

Thats my 50's Tech from the side.

And that's me going into the garden and lighting a big fire and thinking of buying one.

See you stressed me out now with FOMO.

Last edited:
I suspect that they are Irish army military surplus, that or British army.

Techs were still an issue item to the early 80's in various militaries, including the United States.

@pow0622 @Goblin @BradWorld what do these mid 70's English Techs shave like? My most modern English Tech is an aluminium handled type from I believe the very late 50's. The handle is basically identical to these examples. I have no issue with zamack.
View attachment 1736313

Any info on efficiency that you may have noted?

I've never really thought about getting a late example English Tech, but that's a good price.
Does your 50s English tech have the aluminum base plate? If so i have that razor as well and I'd say this is a step up in efficiency. The best way I could explain it is that its somewhere in between a brass US ballend post war tech and a US pre war tech. For me its right in the middle of those two so definitely has its own place. The head is.almost as light as the 50s English aluminum base plate tech so I'm guessing the gap must be alittle larger? But that's just a guess. If someone else knows I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom