What's new

GIVEAWAY! End of summer contest - THREE winners!

I'm in, please!

My brother and I were young boys. I don't remember how old, but it was before third grade. We went on a vacation with my aunt, uncle, and cousin to Lake Shasta. We rented a houseboat, and my uncle brought a jet ski and took us around the lake one at a time. It was fantastic!

One morning, the adults woke up and noticed a muddy bear paw mark on the houseboat glass door. It had torn open a bag of wine that was left in a cooler on the deck. Nobody was hurt, nobody even woke up, and it was really cool to think about how close we were to seeing a bear!

I'm glad I didn't wake up, I would have been panicked.

I’m in.

Summer when I was 17 I worked for a tree farm trimming evergreen trees. Shortening the new growth would after several years produce a dense Christmas tree. Hot, sticky. The sap would get all over your arms and hands and it was extremely difficult to get off. Sometimes had to use gasoline. Often Lava soap.

I’m in.

Summer when I was 17 I worked for a tree farm trimming evergreen trees. Shortening the new growth would after several years produce a dense Christmas tree. Hot, sticky. The sap would get all over your arms and hands and it was extremely difficult to get off. Sometimes had to use gasoline. Often Lava soap.
Believe or not, butter will remove tree sap.

My favorite summer memory was a trip to Destin, Florida around 1960. The water was absolutely pristine, and at that time the area wasn't filled with high rise hotels, etc. All types of marine life was teeming right at the shore; sharks, Pompano, sea cucumbers, crabs and others.
That area surely has changed!

I'm IN!

When I was a kid in the 60's we used to go see my grandparents in Colorado. They lived in Denver but owned a cabin in the mountains. We would all go up there and us kids and the cousins all slept on the floor in sleeping bags. The adults would play cards in the small kitchen and we were in the adjoining room. I recall all of the laughter, the blue smoke from the cigarettes, the Coors beer being consumed since it was unavailable east of Colorado, and then eventually falling asleep. We would stay for two days and then go back to their home in Denver. Why? The cabin did not have electricity. No water. We took huge jerry cans of water to get us by.

So we would head off to Denver and everybody got showered up and smelling good. Then back to the cabin for another two days. This went on for two weeks. There was playing horseshoes - the uncle who was best would have a cigarette in his mouth and a small tumbler of whiskey in his free hand. I decided if that is what it took to win... well, I'll go for a hike instead. There was the "biffy" which was the outhouse and it showed us how fast you could do your business and get outta there. As kids they handed us a .22 rifle with an octagon barrel and turned us loose to see what we could shoot, all unsupervised. In the luckiest moment of my life I shot a blue jay right through his neck and he dropped like a stone.

The dirt road they lived on had a dozen cabins along it. One in particular was singled out. It was noted that they drank wine with their meals - sometimes even at lunch. (Mind you, we were no Baptists I am just reporting what I heard.) Over the years as we would head out there on our annual trip there would be a cabin that was sold because the owner was now in the nursing home or had passed away. One after another, inexorably they changed hands. Many years later as an adult I asked the folks about the neighbors who drank wine - what ever happened to their cabin? Do their kids own it now after all this time? "No, actually they are alive and still live there." Uh huh, still with us when everyone else is gone? Lemme see, what can I learn from that?

Not in. :wink2:

AndtheWinnersAre.gif

Random.org has selected our winners. Thank you for each one who has entered - what fun to read about those memories.

If you are a winner you have a $50.00 credit in our store. If your selections exceed the $50.00 we can settle up the difference, no problem. Here is what you do:

1. Take a look at the store right here.
2. PM The Captain with your address and what you have chosen.
3. Get ready to be amazed!

The winners are:

@Ckmaui
@GrizzlyCA
@FullyLoaded

Congratulations to all three of our winners - well done!

View attachment 1715336

Random.org has selected our winners. Thank you for each one who has entered - what fun to read about those memories.

If you are a winner you have a $50.00 credit in our store. If your selections exceed the $50.00 we can settle up the difference, no problem. Here is what you do:

1. Take a look at the store right here.
2. PM The Captain with your address and what you have chosen.
3. Get ready to be amazed!

The winners are:

@Ckmaui
@GrizzlyCA
@FullyLoaded

Congratulations to all three of our winners - well done!
Thank you very much! Super excited!!

View attachment 1713168

With summer at an end what better time to share a memory of summertime. This can be recently or from your childhood or anywhere in between.

To be entered in the contest just share a memory!

The three lucky winners will be selected by random.org. Each winner will have a $50.00 credit to go shopping right here. The partial screen shot up above will whet your appetite for the variety available.

This is CONUS only, please. Good luck to each one of you!

~ The Captain
This is awesome! Thank you!

As for my summer story. I gotta say, I got into safety razor shaving, and with that, I have two highlights. The first one is my first BBS with my first DE razor, a King C Gillette. I was ecstatic!
The second one is when I received my 1958 Slim, re-plated in platinum; it is my birthday gift from my wife. I have yet to master it 100% but I am getting better as I go.

Top Bottom