What's new

EJ 89 vs Mühle R89. Opinions??

Here's as much of an "official" answer as I know, as I've asked this question before.

The heads are made from the same CAD drawing, but manufactured by each company respectively at their own plants using their own machinery.

I don't know, who is making the Jagger-razors, but certainly Mühle does not manufacture them at their own plant. Mühle is a brushmaker, they don't manufacture razors, soaps or creams. This comes from third party suppliers.

Medium aggressive razors. Identical like two drops of water. Much better chrome plating in Edwin Jagger by far, so i guess it makes them better. Simple as that!

They're both well-made heads but best is always highly YMMV. Certainly aim for but don't expect to buy the perfect DE for you on your first purchase. The DE89/R89 are great heads for some and not ideal for others. You really just have to try them to see how they work for you.

I found the head to be very inefficient, but still quite aggressive.
They're definitely mild. If they weren't effective for you then you might have ended up with razor burn, irritation and other issues from trying to make them work for you. A more aggressive DE may be better suited to you.

Last edited:
This with razors are so my YMMV. I found the head to be very inefficient, but still quite aggressive. I had the R89 version. It was very beautiful. Sadly, it did not fit me well.

So true for me as well. I wanted to like my R89 but found it to be just as you describe.

They're both well-made heads but best is always highly YMMV. Certainly aim for but don't expect to buy the perfect DE for you on your first purchase. The DE89/R89 are great heads for some and not ideal for others. You really just have to try them to see how they work for you.

excellent advice.

My German is a little rusty (read: nonexistant) but what's the translation of this?

"Um Rasierhobel herstellen zu können, wurde ein eigenes Werkzeug konstruiert."

Text of the article: „Vor einigen Jahren war Mühle nur für Rasierpinsel bekannt gewesen. Mittlerweile bietet das mittelständische Unternehmen alles an, was man(n) zum Rasieren braucht. Um Rasierhobel herstellen zu können, wurde ein eigenes Werkzeug konstruiert. Vom Basismodell des R89 werden heute jährlich 70.000 Stück verkauft. 2013 ist mit 8,6 Millionen Euro Umsatz das erfolgreichste Jahr der Firmengeschichte.“

„Some years ago, Mühle was known for shaving brushes only. In the meantime they offer everything necessary for shaving. In order to enable the production of DE razors they constructed an own tooling. The basis model R89 is being sold 70,000 times a year. 2013 is the best year in Mühle’s history with a turn over of 8.6 million Euro“

Read carefully: They offer everything necessary for shaving! That does not mean, that they make everything in house! They constructed the tooling necessary for production of a DE razor, that does not mean, that these tools are used in their own plant! Mühle is situated in an area protected for gathering drinking water. In such an area authorities wouldn’t give you the allowance to run a galvanization.

Mühle’s DE razor R89 was developed in a joined effort by both Jagger and Mühle and they are made elsewhere using Mühle’s own tools and according to Mühle’s specification. Nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
This is a press release from Muhle in 2011 which seems to indicate that they do make their own razors.

The new tooth comb safety razor from MÜHLE
The new safety razor with an open tooth comb has been developed specially for practised wet shavers and will be available in stores from June 16th. The manufacturer Hans-Jürgen Müller GmbH & Co. KG from Saxony has been making high-quality safety razors of its own design under the MÜHLE brand name since 2009. Due to the principle of its construction, which features a special blade angle, the new model allows a vigorous, very direct shaving technique.

Believe what you want. Mühle is a brushmaking company and not a metal manufacturing company or a soap manufacturer, even if they sell all these articles under their brand name.

Apple is developing iPhones, iPads, iMacs and so on, but these things are manufactured by chinese companies. Same thing with Mühle razors (I'm not saying that Mühle's razors are being made in China!)

Your last point is valid. Many companies no longer make things themselves, only brand them. Also rules vary in different countries so it is OK to state "made in....." if the item is assembled in that country. The previous Edwin Jagger razors said "made in England" but the heads were made by Merkur, they now use the Muhle head. I have not handled one but the latest Parker heads seem to be the same design. Could it be that all these heads are made in India and finished in Sheffield, Saxony, etc? Whilst on the subject of country of manufacture, why do Simpsons brushes state "made in England" on the sticker when they are made in The Isle of Man?

Whilst on the subject of country of manufacture, why do Simpsons brushes state "made in England" on the sticker when they are made in The Isle of Man?

Simpson was located in London till WW II, afterwards in Somerset. In the early 2000s they were taken over by Vulfix on the Isle of Man and continued to use the sticker "Made in England". There was a thread on this misleading information here on B&B and Simpson was forced by the authorities to change it. Now the new sticker says "Handmade in Great Britain" if I recall it correctly. I always thought that IoM is part of the UK but not Great Britain…

Simpsons stickers still say "Made in England". The Isle of Man is a British Crown Dependency (along with Jersey and Guernsey) and is not part the UK (or the EU for that matter).

Correction. I have just seen a sticker with "Handmade in Great Britain". Still not quite correct but better than the old sticker.
(I must try harder!).

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I am new to safety razor shaving and just purchased my first shaver, an Edwin Jagger DE89L. How does this razor compare to the EJ89 and the R89?

Gentlemen, I am new to safety razor shaving and just purchased my first shaver, an Edwin Jagger DE89L. How does this razor compare to the EJ89 and the R89?

I'm new as well and have the R89. I'm assuming the EJ89L has a longer handle hence the L but I'm not positive. As for the R89 vs the EJ89 the only difference is in the handle and price. The R89 is lighter with a pretty shallow knurling.

I'm new as well and have the R89. I'm assuming the EJ89L has a longer handle hence the L but I'm not positive. As for the R89 vs the EJ89 the only difference is in the handle and price. The R89 is lighter with a pretty shallow knurling.

I believe the L in the EJ89L stands for "Lined"..... as it has longitudiunal lines on the barrel of the handle. I'm pretty sure the handle is the same length as the EJ smooth handle and the barley handle.

Ben

Top Bottom