What's new

Efficacy of the fast 3-day method for boar brush break-in

Starting this thread to follow up on ........
What is your favorite boar brush?

Here are the brushes I've tried this method on
Semogue SOC
Semogue 2000
Omega 20106
Omega 20107
Omega 50107
Omega 20102
Omega 11137
Omega 40033
Omega 10065
Omega 21762 (the Italian flag brush)
Omega 011829 (the Jade brush from Connaught - which I love, by the way)
Proraso Pro boar (made by Omega)
Stirling boar
Badger and blade Essential boar
A bunch of Zenith boars that I bought off TVB shaving
A bunch of Semogues that I'm not a fan of and won't disparage or promote :)

For each and every one of these brushes, after 3 iterations of the method, almost every hair/bristle had begun to split, some even developing 3-way or 4-way splits. In each instance, the brush was remarkable easy/soft in use and not harsh or pokey or scritchy as it would have been.

That's why I have been claiming that the method gets the brush 80% of the way to its final stage of break-in. There's a massive improvement in how the brush feels in use after the application of this method, though I agree that each brush improves farther if used regularly.

As you can see, I've been claiming on that thread (and many threads before that one) that the 3-day boar break-in method is a very useful way to get a boar brush a significant portion of the way to full break-in.

It came out in that thread that this sentiment isn't universal. Some folks have tried the method and found it does nothing for the boar brush in terms of accelerating the rate at which the bristle splits rendering the brush very soft in use.

Starting this thread to explore this observation and to open up the discussion for comment from other members who may have used this method and found it either lacking or brilliantly successful

Last edited:
Some people can be impatient - I was :)

Point is - this method worked splendidly for me, but in the thread I linked, a member says it doesn't work on some of his brushes, despite using it every day for weeks.

I'm hoping to hear both sides of _that_ debate or experience

Ah well .......... :)

Shout out to all those who are trying to accelerate the process.

Has the method worked for you? Have there been instances where it just didn't produce results?

My most recent boar brush purchase was a Zenith 24 X 57 bleached boar. It was soft enough from the start that I didn't think it necessary to resort to "extreme break in" procedures. OTOH, I had a Semogue 11137 that I sold because it was so stiff after a month's use. I just assumed it would never soften. If I had it to do over again I would certainly try the 3 day cold water routine on it. (....in fact maybe I should buy another one and try it)

It so happens that I have some boars on the way, and they may even arrive today. I will give it a shot. I have no problem waiting four days or a week or more to use them; there are other brushes in the den. Besides, the Vitamix didn't work so well. Cross that one off your list.

So many brushes. So little time.

This just in. Let's see how it goes.

20180418_174036-996x747.jpg

Zenith multi-color 27 x 55 ish
Zenith Big Scrubby Aluminum 28 x 50 ish
Zenith Short and Scrubby 24 x 48

All are soaking now. I'll follow the video and see how they look in a few days.

(On a side note, I make it a point to attribute this video above. Chronologically, this dude was the first one to mention in in a video. Later, other more popular people made videos promoting the method. Since this guy was the first, I like to credit him. I'm open, of course, to being corrected on this point)

3 steps actually, all important
1. Brush in a glass of water (upto the base of the knot) in the fridge. Duration - 12 hours at least
2. Vigorous drying on a clean bath towel, till almost completely dry
3. Leave upright until absolutely completely dry - takes about 12 hours

Repeat steps 1-3 three times, for a 3 day break-in, give or take

Last edited:
OTOH, I had a Semogue 11137 that I sold because it was so stiff after a month's use. I just assumed it would never soften. If I had it to do over again I would certainly try the 3 day cold water routine on it. (....in fact maybe I should buy another one and try it)

If you mean the Omega 11137 (https://www.amazon.com/Omega-11137-Bristle-Shaving-Brush/dp/B007APUTZ4), I own this brush (and love it - yes I have said this about other brushes too). You should note that even after full break-in, it's possible for a brush to feel stiff in use.

May I suggest soaking it or swirling it through a 10:1 water:white vinegar solution, not for very long, just for a minute . Then a heavy rinse in water, before drying it off. Not sure how this makes the brush extremely soft, but it does - something about the vinegar being a chelating agent that can bind to mineral deposits from hard water and wash them all out ......

This just in. Let's see how it goes.

View attachment 876918
Zenith multi-color 27 x 55 ish
Zenith Big Scrubby Aluminum 28 x 50 ish
Zenith Short and Scrubby 24 x 48

All are soaking now. I'll follow the video and see how they look in a few days.

I just got the two scrubby brushes from Zenith in yesterday, left them soaking overnight and dried them on a towel after work today. They are drying upright. Already, I can see that almost 60% of the bristles have begun to split, and they both feel way less pokey than they did yesterday.

Do let me know how you like the multi-color resin brush. I am tempted by that handle, but reluctant to pull the trigger on a brush that expensive .....

If you mean the Omega 11137 (https://www.amazon.com/Omega-11137-Bristle-Shaving-Brush/dp/B007APUTZ4), I own this brush (and love it - yes I have said this about other brushes too). You should note that even after full break-in, it's possible for a brush to feel stiff in use.

May I suggest soaking it or swirling it through a 10:1 water:white vinegar solution, not for very long, just for a minute . Then a heavy rinse in water, before drying it off. Not sure how this makes the brush extremely soft, but it does - something about the vinegar being a chelating agent that can bind to mineral deposits from hard water and wash them all out ......
Yes, Omega 1137. The Semigue I had at that time was the 1250. I thought that one was too stiff and the other too floppy, and I sold them both. If I do buy another 11137, I may give your vinegar soak a try if it doesn’t soften up.

YIf I do buy another 11137, I may give your vinegar soak a try if it doesn’t soften up.

Careful with this, though. I did this to the Omega 20107, 50107 and 20106 and they became way more soft/floppy than I would have liked. They will stiffen back up over time.

I have done it to other brushes since then with dilution and duration as I suggested and the results were satisfactory.

At first, go with a very dilute solution of vinegar (even more dilute than the 10:1 I suggested) and a very short time in the vinegar solution (shorter than the 1 minute I suggested).

Better be way more conservative to start with.

Last edited:
A month ago I would have said let it happen naturally. I think there is some merit to this method. I ended up buying 4 new boars and decided to try out this soaking routine. The 4 boars were a Mondial, Thater, ABC and the 26 x57mm Zenith. Now I'm not picking on the Thater but it was very prickly. I shaved or hand lathered every day during the the soaking process (figured it couldn't hurt). Day 3 I had a nice shave with the Thater, no prickliness at all. Yesterday I didn't shave but did hand lather all the brushes and some of the Thaters prickliness was back. This morning when I got up I took the Thater and put it in a glass of hot tap water and had a couple cups of coffee. About an hour and a half later checked the brush (Thater) and it was soft and had a very good shave this morning. I'm going to continue so soak the brush preshave until it not prickly, use it and let it dry completely. Normally I don't soak my boars before use (I don't have to) just get them good a wet under the faucet and go for it. I'll see how long it takes for the Thater react the same way.

This morning when I got up I took the Thater and put it in a glass of hot tap water and had a couple cups of coffee. About an hour and a half later checked the brush (Thater) and it was soft and had a very good shave this morning. I'm going to continue so soak the brush preshave until it not prickly, use it and let it dry completely. Normally I don't soak my boars before use (I don't have to) just get them good a wet under the faucet and go for it. I'll see how long it takes for the Thater react the same way.

Have you used the "leave it in the fridge in a glass of water overnight" method?

Of course, there are additional steps of drying it on a towel and leaving it to dry fully before using it

Yes I did keep it in the fridge for 3 days but I did use it every day either for a shave or hand lather. Towel dried then back in the fridge.

Yes I did keep it in the fridge for 3 days but I did use it every day either for a shave or hand lather. Towel dried then back in the fridge.

I would venture that this may have interfered with the efficacy of the "fast break-in" method.
In my experience, it's best utilized with fidelity end-to-end :)

1 12 hours in fridge (longer can only have a marginal effect in my opinion)
2 Vigorous drying on a towel for about 5 minutes - or more if you can manage it
3 Leave upright to dry completely - takes 12 hours in my home, might take longer in other environments

One iteration of this cycle on a new brush almost immediately transforms it by splitting a large percentage of the hairs/bristles. I usually do 3 iterations.

Well the only thing I can say is I feel I came a long way quick. We (are) were talking about a seriously prickly knot. My instinct is telling me to slow down and just ease on into it but then again I could do the fridge routine again or a couple of other options I can think of. It's going to be a good brush it just needs a little "work" or time.

Top Bottom