What's new

Educate me - why did this sell for $984?

What makes this mug so valuable?
Because someone wanted it REAL BAD. Notice the last guy didn't snipe it and wasn't a repeat bidder; he just swooped in with the biggest bid by far - a couple hours before the end of the auction - and no one challenged him.

Because someone wanted it REAL BAD. Notice the last guy didn't snipe it and wasn't a repeat bidder; he just swooped in with the biggest bid by far - a couple hours before the end of the auction - and no one challenged him.

Well, "real bad" was kind of obvious . . . I'm curious why? Is there something special or rare about that particular mug or style? If so, what in the listing or photos indicated that rarity?

I guess I would hate to pass up a $2 deal at a flea market or yard sale that could be worth $1000 . . .

Well, "real bad" was kind of obvious . . . I'm curious why? Is there something special or rare about that particular mug or style? If so, what in the listing or photos indicated that rarity?

I think it's a case of some people have more money than brains! :lol::lol:

It's a mug, that he spent close to $1000 while 100's of people in his own community are hurting for food, and trying to figure out how to keep their house warm.

I don't know maybe I have more of a conscious than others, but I would have a real hard time spending that kind of money on needless fluff, when I know how many people around me are hurting really bad in this shoddy economy.

B

bluefoxicy

It's a mug, that he spent close to $1000 while 100's of people in his own community are hurting for food, and trying to figure out how to keep their house warm.

I don't know maybe I have more of a conscious than others, but I would have a real hard time spending that kind of money on needless fluff, when I know how many people around me are hurting really bad in this shoddy economy.

I know. I needed all these extra razors.

Maybe someone had a high proxy bid so that they would be assured of getting it, then some smart guy comes in at the last second with a huge bid in order to snipe it with the hilarious result that the sniper paid more than he bargained for.

If you look at the bid history, I don't think it was a high proxy bid. I agree, what tipped it off as being valuable?? Anyone with experience here know?

Oh, and I guess I should be helping at the soup kitchen instead of posting right now in this shoddy economy.

A google search revealed this tidbit:

"For those unfamiliar with the term, the "occupational shaving mug" is an artifact unique to the late 19th and early 20th century, when it was common for gentlemen to get their shaves at the local barber. Each patron had his own shaving mug, which was left at the barbershop on a shelf and used only when he would visit the establishment. Very often the patrons would pay an artist to have his name and an image of his profession handpainted on the side of the mug, and these mugs have become very popular with collectors of Americana for the simple, charming look they offer into the former owners' daily lives."

Whether that answers the question as to the high bid price, I don't know.

To be fair, we don't know who this guy is. He may be a philanthropist, spending vast sums to help poor people. Wouldn't it blow your mind to find out that he had even more of a conscience than you? :001_tongu

"For those unfamiliar with the term, the "occupational shaving mug" is an artifact unique to the late 19th and early 20th century, when it was common for gentlemen to get their shaves at the local barber. Each patron had his own shaving mug, which was left at the barbershop on a shelf and used only when he would visit the establishment. Very often the patrons would pay an artist to have his name and an image of his profession handpainted on the side of the mug, and these mugs have become very popular with collectors of Americana for the simple, charming look they offer into the former owners' daily lives."

Well, that does give me a little insight . . . thanks!!

To be fair, we don't know who this guy is. He may be a philanthropist, spending vast sums to help poor people. Wouldn't it blow your mind to find out that he had even more of a conscience than you? :001_tongu

I don't know that I am all that philanthropic myself; I am not rich, but not super poor. I have a few dollars for luxuries once in awhile, but live paycheck to paycheck like most of the other poor slobs in Michigan (which has the highest rate of unemployment in the US).

Considering the wretched state of affairs in Michigan, I am extremely happy to have a job I enjoy, and a good amount of job security as well. :thumbup:

I don't know that I am all that philanthropic myself; I am not rich, but not super poor. I have a few dollars for luxuries once in awhile, but live paycheck to paycheck like most of the other poor slobs in Michigan (which has the highest rate of unemployment in the US).

Considering the wretched state of affairs in Michigan, I am extremely happy to have a job I enjoy, and a good amount of job security as well. :thumbup:
I hear ya brother, I'm in the same boat! :laugh:

Just because 1 guy was prepared to lay down $1000 for it, doesn't make it inherently valuable. It may only be worth $20 to anyone else. Or the guy might be an antique dealer who spotted a rarity - who knows?

It's really only valuable in a commercial sense if he sells it on for a profit.

Well then my guess would be there are people who specifically collect these occupational mugs, and if this one is in good shape (as it appears to be), it could be a sought after piece in this circle of collectors.

In fact, if you sort the mugs on Ebay by price, the highest priced ones are all "occupational" mugs. One is listed for 7,900 and he was a baseball player.

I googled F.C. Moorman, and he doesn't seem to be anyone of note...so I can't explain why this one is more than others besides the quality of its condition.

My guess would be maybe the uniform, tents with the US flag flying, and the possibly the name (someone's grandfather, etc.?) might have great significance with someone's family or community, or military unit, and a collector who spent the big bucks knows he's got a one of a kind mug with a great story behind it. Whoever Mr. Moorman was picked this design for his shaving mug a hundred years ago for a specific reason, and the guy that bought it understands all that "provenance".

B

bluefoxicy

I could work at McDonalds but I have a real job. My career path took me somewhere I wanted to go, and it just so happens I make 3 times what I need.

To make matters worse, I'm paying down my debts, so I'm destroying like...everything that costs me money regularly. When I buy a house, it'll be a cheap foreclosure I'll fix up, and maybe cost $200/mo more than my rent. In several years I could pay it off, maybe 5-10? Then I'll have a thousand bucks a month more (okay, so rent drops to $200/mo == $2400/year taxes). The path there is paved living paycheck to paycheck to make double mortage payments on a fifteen year mortgage.

So maybe when I'm 32ish, I'll be on the living-with-parents budget. Except I'll probably be making $20k-$40k more.

I guess you could call me "Filthy Rich," even though YOU probably gross more than I do. Yeah, having a $10,000 gross paycheck every 2 weeks (I've had coworkers making as much, I stumbled across their stubs) would be sweet; but I found another way of living in a lap of luxury. I don't even WANT that much money, what the friggin' hell would I do with it? Buy hundreds of antique razors and send them to Leighton with sacks of money to restore them for me?

You know what I do with my money?

• Pay my debts. Debts suck the economy dry, that's money the banks give me that I've spent already, and now it's stagnating.
  • Up my 401(k). Investments are loans I make to active businesses, which then use them to create jobs. By the way, I'm a damn good investor and my 401(k) gives me excellent investment options.
  • Buy crap. Local, Internet, made in USA, made in Japan, whatever. The GLOBAL economy is failing, so I'm making money move.

Honestly the money goes somewhere. $1000 for a mug goes to an eBay seller, who uses that to pay his debts down, or buy luxuries. Without the $1000, said seller would buy fewer luxuries, living on bare essentials. In the worst case, it's probably in a bank account being used to loan money or invest in small businesses, still pushing the economy just as well.

Top Bottom