What's new

eBay scam?????

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Put a brush on eBay and it sold.The buyer asked me to get also an eBay gift card to be included in the package. Said I would be paid for the brush, the gift card plus an additional $35 for gas and my stress of doing the favor for the buyer. This sounds all a bit too odd to me, so I cancelled the transaction. Also was not willing to pay me with PayPal, but with an eBay app. Oh, and the buyer asked me to contact him/her via text, couldn't find an email address.
Be careful when you sell stuff on eBay, scammers are everywhere.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have sold quite a bit on EBay over the years but rarely do so now. EBay strongly favours buyers in any dispute because it cannot afford to get a reputation as a marketplace where it is not safe to spend money. They have gone so far that if a buyer requests a refund for almost any reason, then EBay will pay it. Buyers can claim an item did not arrive or was not as described. Even with security marking, photgraphs of the package and of the seller posting the package, plus signed and tracked delivery, the buyer can claim they received an empty box, or a fake, or a completely different item. They can claim to return their purchase and not do so, or return an empty box, or return a different item to the one they received. There is a higher percentage of large scale business sellers on EBay now as they can afford to factor losses like this into their P&L, similar to shoplifting in brick and mortar stores. Coincidentally, shoplifting levels are at the highest for many years; there are many possible reasons for this but there are no excuses for it.

I have sold quite a bit on EBay over the years but rarely do so now. EBay strongly favours buyers in any dispute because it cannot afford to get a reputation as a marketplace where it is not safe to spend money. They have gone so far that if a buyer requests a refund for almost any reason, then EBay will pay it. Buyers can claim an item did not arrive or was not as described. Even with security marking, photgraphs of the package and of the seller posting the package, plus signed and tracked delivery, the buyer can claim they received an empty box, or a fake, or a completely different item. They can claim to return their purchase and not do so, or return an empty box, or return a different item to the one they received. There is a higher percentage of large scale business sellers on EBay now as they can afford to factor losses like this into their P&L, similar to shoplifting in brick and mortar stores. Coincidentally, shoplifting levels are at the highest for many years; there are many possible reasons for this but there are no excuses for it.

Sometimes Ebay srcews up themselves.
There was a time when I ordered identical items from different sellers
and the only way that I could tell what I had and hadn't received was
by what EBay told me.

One item arrived on a day when Ebay told me that I had not received anything,
and eBay sent me tracking data for an item that arrived hundreds of miles
from where I live.

Long story short, I got what I was supposed to get.

What do you use to sell stuff now? Craigslist is dead (at least around here), and FB Marketplace is even worse than ebay (in my experience).

What do you use to sell stuff now? Craigslist is dead (at least around here), and FB Marketplace is even worse than ebay (in my experience).

OfferUp is another option for local sales, and I think NextDoor has a decent amount of listing/sale activity too.

Reddit has tons of sales subforums for all sorts of things.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am at an age now where I am consciously downsizing and ridding myself of superfluous belongings. I have never used Facebook, Craigslist or any other social media type sites, and know nothing about them. I have been donating, giving away, or discarding one item every few days for many months now, and feel much better for it. I rarely sell anything these days but any shave items go on the BST here at B&B, which is not always successful as I am in the UK with a limited audience. Items which do not sell there are made into a B&B PIF or donated to the yearly B&B auction. I do sell the occasional large item on EBay, for collection only, as that way there is never any dispute since goods and payment are handed over in person.

Have sold on eBay for years maybe 60+ deals, one was scammer who said never got item. It was 10 buck cigar cutter, I was out, and wiped off.

• Wow
Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom