What's new

Ebay sales listing and the letter of the law at B&B

Personally, I have always wondered why this rule has existed. I haven't, that I know of or recall at least, ever placed a live link, I have just wondered why it was against the rules.

Members here sell there. Members here shop there. If member is looking for something why not be able to come to a group of friends and ask for assistance? And, if I am looking for a blank and I know x member has it over there why not try to put some money in that member's pocket? Sure, they could sell it here, but they've chosen to sell it over there.

I mean, what good is a dead link? What's the purpose of saying, hey look what sold? Oh, look what you could have had....

Maybe I am missing something?!

Truthfully, it could go either way. Not at all, or all the way. The half in between bit we have now is confusing.

But, I see the point of people that do not care for the ebay talk. Create an ebay section. All things auction go in there.

I'm new here and when I come into someones forum, I'm not going to start saying you guys need to change your rules and the way you do things. (Perhaps unlike the way things are going in our country.) I going to abide by them. If I don't like them, I should leave. I wasn't here when they were made but they must have been necessary for some reason. New members, myself included need to respect the wisdom and experience of those who helped build this site we enjoy so much. I would hate to see B&B become a giant shoping mall.

I understand points from both sides. As noted above, members here sell on ebay. Well, fine, but don't promote, push or advertise here. If you allow it, it will become a monster out of control. Eventually you'll ask about a some crappy razors performance and get an influenced answer such as Oh, thats a great razor you asked about, there's one right here at this link: "MY ITEM FORSALE". Members here buy there. Fine, but don't ruin one mans hope of getting a great deal on a dream razor by saying Hey everybody, look a this!!! Not Gentlemanly.

Here's how I have tried to deal with it. The one thing I have done, and if I shouldn't tell me and why, but if I see someone post a WTB and I see one on the bay, I will PM them and tell them about it. I do this partly too because I feel too many WTB posts by our brothers get ignored. How many Fat Boys get posted on BST and did any one look on WTB first to help them out??? Hmm, must not be any WTBs for FatBoys. A WTB says HELP ME FIND THIS. Handle it privately and I think that's OK.

Last edited:
Why doens't B&B just make an ebay listing only etc. category section. So all the people who hate seeing it or are bothered by ebay links etc. are not bothered at all. I myself don't mind but I think it would be a good idea.

Maybe subcategories:
Ebay awesome buys-
Please don't bid on the auction I bid on etc-
My item is up for auction-

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The reason it's not permitted is not so people don't have to read about ebay listings, so a separate category isn't the issue.

Some B&B member may be in the process of bidding on an item on ebay, and when someone comes in and points to that auction, thousands of B&B members are now keyed on to that auction. Subsequent bidding for an item someone was going for is now artificailly skewed.

Posting a link to an item and saying don't bid on this, I'm bidding for it is like saying "Don't think of a purple cow".

In any case, at any given time a few members may be bidding on the same item, so someone can't post and say don't bid on this, I am.

Security by obfuscation isn't much for security though.

If the goal is to allow people with outstanding bids to escape the eye of other interested parties, it seems like a disservice to those others who may be interested and willing to pay the best price for a particular product. The whole point of an auction is to allow the person willing to pay the most to win, not to allow buyers to get the cheapest price because others weren't lucky enough to stumble across it.

Instead, if the goal of the rule is to prevent abuses (say unscrupulous sellers trying to drive up their own auction prices through artificial hype), then it makes a lot of sense to me to forbid the links. I just don't think preventing them in an effort to block competition is virtuous.

As a disclaimer - I have never sold anything on the bay and don't have any plans to; purely a buyer here. I also don't feel strongly about this matter and of course will respect the rules, whatever they are. Just my 2 cents, and like I said no strong feelings on it either way.

Last edited:
Gents, rules are rules. They won't change unless the admins/moderators have a change of heart. This thread is only a reminder of the stated rule. Thank you.

The reason it's not permitted is not so people don't have to read about ebay listings, so a separate category isn't the issue.

Some B&B member may be in the process of bidding on an item on ebay, and when someone comes in and points to that auction, thousands of B&B members are now keyed on to that auction. Subsequent bidding for an item someone was going for is now artificailly skewed.

Posting a link to an item and saying don't bid on this, I'm bidding for it is like saying "Don't think of a purple cow".

In any case, at any given time a few members may be bidding on the same item, so someone can't post and say don't bid on this, I am.

I can relate. There was a thread the other day specifically about an auction I was bidding on, and while I did mention it in chat to a few people before I saw the thread, I asked that no one talk about it until it was over. Or at least until I was out of the auction. As luvmysuper says, it can skew the auction either way, by collusion or promoting a bidding war, and either way is inappropriate, no matter how you look at it. I don't even want to think about the implications for the owners of B&B should the auction site take notice.

There's another angle to this. It was kind of weird for me seeing that thread and people talking about me behind my back, so to speak, even without knowing anyone from B&B was bidding. Not that I was upset--more like laughing. But it was a frivolous purchase for me. Other people on the board take these things more seriously. The auctions are private for a reason--maybe lots of reasons. Talking about them in public is like airing dirty laundry. No one should show their dirty laundry in public, and no one should go looking for other people's dirty laundry. It doesn't change anything if you don't know whose laundry it is. It's just not nice to do this anywhere, let alone a forum that prides itself on promoting gentile behavior.

The rule as it stands is the minimum to keep things honest. And minimal rules are the best rules.

It occurs to me after seeing this thread that I violated the rules in that other thread. I apologize and submit to being beaten by the mods (but you can't have my mod beater slacks) and will be more conscientious in the future.

Last edited:
So we don't have to worry that you'll ever let us down? Will you run around and desert us?
I don't even think He'll make us cry, or say goodbye.

I'm even considering adding this to my sig:

Buy TopGumby brand "Shaving Lawyer" T-shirts from my Ebay Store.

Oh, and Shave Lawyer just begs to be made into a custom user title. Not for me, since I'm never gonna give it up.

Last edited:
Gents, rules are rules. They won't change unless the admins/moderators have a change of heart. This thread is only a reminder of the stated rule. Thank you.

Sorry, the OP had asked for feedback on the matter and I was just chiming in a few thoughts. Not trying to get it changed, this isn't important to me at all.

I don't even think He'll make us cry, or say goodbye.

*Throws on his trench coat and does a smooth little dance*

Last edited:

People can always ask. We are so gentlemanly here one "should" respect someone's wishes but then again I could see if someone already saw the auction and say well I want it as well etc. It's winless argument i guess

People can always ask. We are so gentlemanly here one "should" respect someone's wishes but then again I could see if someone already saw the auction and say well I want it as well etc. It's winless argument i guess

Very true. I'm just surprised it happens. Seems like if you're really hoping to avoid competition, the obvious thing to do is not mention it on a public forum while the clock is still ticking. Excitement gets the best of us I guess :)

I appreciate the rule. I belong to other forums where there is no rules governing auction sites, and I must say it`s been a pleasant change.

I appreciate the rule. I belong to other forums where there is no rules governing auction sites, and I must say it`s been a pleasant change.

+1

I am sure a lot of the members here know exactly what's on the bay at any given time, I doubt there are that many secrets listed ...I would only talk about an item after I won it. Then post in SOTD or score of the week or whatever.

I always thought it was very simple. You didn't post live auction links because it's a vendor promotion (sort of).
If I'm running an ebay auction, i'd love to come here and promote it. I'd get ten times as many bids.
But that's in poor form. I suppose the same can be said for vendors or other people selling. You don't see messages saying "come check out my BST sale"
and vendors have their own forum to promote their wares.

The Mods work hard here to keep this place clean.
If i've made an error in my posts, I do apologize.
The rules here are not too difficult to grasp, but as the popularity of this forum increases, the watchful eyes over the content have more work to do.

One suggestion to help stave off the junk is to have more sub forums for contributors.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Security by obfuscation isn't much for security though.

If the goal is to allow people with outstanding bids to escape the eye of other interested parties, it seems like a disservice to those others who may be interested and willing to pay the best price for a particular product. The whole point of an auction is to allow the person willing to pay the most to win, not to allow buyers to get the cheapest price because others weren't lucky enough to stumble across it.

Instead, if the goal of the rule is to prevent abuses (say unscrupulous sellers trying to drive up their own auction prices through artificial hype), then it makes a lot of sense to me to forbid the links. I just don't think preventing them in an effort to block competition is virtuous.

As a disclaimer - I have never sold anything on the bay and don't have any plans to; purely a buyer here. I also don't feel strongly about this matter and of course will respect the rules, whatever they are. Just my 2 cents, and like I said no strong feelings on it either way.

Well, if you consider that anyone CAN bid on the ebay item in question, if they do their own work and search with due diligence, then not mentioning it here isn't so much obscuring the auction but rather preventing an untoward skew from people who were, for whatever reason, unable to find that particular auction on their own.

]I don't even think He'll make us cry, or say goodbye.[/B]

I'm even considering adding this to my sig:

Buy TopGumby brand "Shaving Lawyer" T-shirts from my Ebay Store.

Oh, and Shave Lawyer just begs to be made into a custom user title. Not for me, since I'm never gonna give it up.

I'm so relieved! Now I just hope he never tells a lie and hurts us.

lol@Topgumby brand.

proxy.php

You'll note, nowhere does this chart mention linking to auctions. It's Verbotten.

Top Bottom