What's new

Durability of Colored Anodized Aluminium Razors?

There are many companies selling colored anodized colored razors.

Does the color stay vivid over the years?

Anyone manage to wreck this finish by trying to clean it?

Thanks Anchovie666, good to know it held up well.

I am curious if someone had any ill effect from cleaning such a razor using popular techniques and products often suggested on this site (i.e. Barbacide, scrubbing bubbles, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, various detergents, ultrasonic cleaning, boiling water, autoclaves, and probably more…).

Discussions from previous threads indicate alcohol and dish detergents are OK.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
It may also depend on the razor company. I know Fatip had a problem at one time, and I believe Rockwell also. This was a while ago. So these problems may have well been fixed.

My RR Eco has a few blank spots, obviously the threads and then a bit on some exposed edges.

I use it every second day and altogether now well over 3 years.

F1B2F5E7-1A8A-43E7-B64A-F95842EF811F.jpeg

I had a Henson 2 years ago that I dropped in the shower once and it dented the corner of the top cap and the blue anodization flaked off in that spot as a result. Don’t drop it and you’ll probably be good.

You color Alumium with a process called Anodizing, can speed about Razors.

But I had a Alumium Flashlight I owned 20 year plus, it still looked great after yeas of use.

Aluminum naturally develops a thin oxide layer that protects it from corrosion. The anodizing process basically creates a much thicker layer of oxide on the metal surface. The oxide layer is very durable, the thicker the layer, the more durable it is. The color comes from dyeing the oxide surface after it is formed.

I'd suggest avoiding anything that would be very abrasive, or scraping with a hardened steel tool.

You just want to be smart about cleaning. Companies usually recommend and list the cleaning process. Simple rinse & good wipe down after use. Zamak heads, don't forget to wipe the threads of the heads! Occasionally little baby wash with gentle soap and water. Don't forget to get behind the ear and keep the soap out of the eyes.
KISS/ Common Sense is not very Common:
Dunking it in anything heavy will do more harm than good, alcohol ( not your drink next to the soap), acid, bleach, flame thrower, drano, autoclaves, washing machine, dish washer, car wash (maybe touchless), sand blasting, and just so much more.
BFX

So users depending on the finish, will use a some form of a little protection. Again, be smart and know the finish.

A clean DE is a happy DE.

1701800303993.png

Aluminum naturally develops a thin oxide layer that protects it from corrosion. The anodizing process basically creates a much thicker layer of oxide on the metal surface. The oxide layer is very durable, the thicker the layer, the more durable it is. The color comes from dyeing the oxide surface after it is formed.

I'd suggest avoiding anything that would be very abrasive, or scraping with a hardened steel tool.

This is accurate. Anodizing is a conversion coating. That is that it becomes part of the metal itself. It adds durability to aluminum, making the surface stronger and highly resistant to additional oxidation. The colors hold up well, the biggest limitation is that there isn't much choice on the color. You get whatever is available and that's all.

Top Bottom