What's new

Drying and Oiling My First SR?

As I continue amassing razors, which hope has an end or at least subsides, I'm considering buying some silicone sleeves for long term storage. I'm finding myself favoring some razors over others and using them more frequently. Oh, for the days when a fellow felt blessed at being able to own even one so he could look proper at church on Sundays or call on a young lady.

That’s it realistically. If the razor we would use daily and maintain daily showed an unacceptable level of rust, it would probably be very old and we would buy a new one.

I’m having trouble finding my great granduncle’s Böker that grandpa gave me and I don’t recall it being rusty. Hope it’s still doing OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That’s it realistically. If the razor we would use daily and maintain daily showed an unacceptable level of rust, it would probably be very old and we would buy a new one.

I’m having trouble finding my great granduncle’s Böker that grandpa gave me and I don’t recall it being rusty. Hope it’s still doing OK.

Hope you find it. It would be a great treasure now that you could use it. My father asked his dad if he could have his razor and granddad said "no you would never figure out how to sharpen it".

Hope you find it. It would be a great treasure now that you could use it. My father asked his dad if he could have his razor and granddad said "no you would never figure out how to sharpen it".

I know that pain. My great great grandmother was a preacher and used a German bible. She buried it, because none of her heirs could read it.

As I continue amassing razors, which hope has an end or at least subsides, I'm considering buying some silicone sleeves for long term storage.

So, I've gone the opposite direction. Having acquired 7 functional (and fun) razors, I have what I need. Weekly use means no storage prep and only common sense maintenance.

I am still buying razors, but receiving one means one goes into short term (a month or less) storage while I decide which razor goes to a new home to make room in my 7.

So, I've gone the opposite direction. Having acquired 7 functional (and fun) razors, I have what I need. Weekly use means no storage prep and only common sense maintenance.

I am still buying razors, but receiving one means one goes into short term (a month or less) storage while I decide which razor goes to a new home to make room in my 7.

I don't suppose I will amass a large inventory, but I would like a collection of various sizes.

So 4/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8 in wedge, near wedge, quarter, half, full, full-bellied, rattler, Frameback. Faux Frameback comes out at a not "large inventory" of ... 45 razors, assuming one of each width/grind combination.

I'll be sticking with 7 ...:a30:

So 4/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8 in wedge, near wedge, quarter, half, full, full-bellied, rattler, Frameback. Faux Frameback comes out at a not "large inventory" of ... 45 razors, assuming one of each width/grind combination.

I'll be sticking with 7 ...:a30:

LOL...no...mostly full hollow, I would like one extra hollow and a wedge. Probably 7-14[emoji51]

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

That is what keeps this hobby so interesting - all those options.

That is what keeps this hobby so interesting - all those options.

I'm using the same strategy I did for all razor types. I see photos of some folk with over one hundred razors. Many are duplicates. If that's what makes them happy so be it. I'd rather have four or five really good SR's and are shave ready.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm using the same strategy I did for all razor types. I see photos of some folk with over one hundred razors. Many are duplicates. If that's what makes them happy so be it. I'd rather have four or five really good SR's and are shave ready.
That's the way I intended to be and want to be but I can't stop. This is as addictive as nicotine, liquor and fast women!

I’d be happy with 1...a nicely restored, big, beefy Wade and Butcher with barber notch and finished wood scales, perhaps a French point for good measure.

OK, OK, and maybe one Stark too.

I initially bought a bunch of different types but I quickly found that I prefer 6/8 round point. Smaller ones don't have the weight that I like. Larger wedges do have weight and are fun to shave with but aren't fun to hone (and are much more expensive for the most part).

Later on I thought I would just get 6 or 7 razors that I really liked (which is what I did) but I thought they would be the popular razors that everyone collects. Those were unnecessarily expensive and not very unique. I ended up picking up one unique one at a time that were as nice looking as the more popular brands.

Now I have 6 nice razors and I sold off the rest to pay for them. I found that in addition to being 6/8 round point that I like bolsters, emblems on the side of the scales and the occasional etching (not gold leaf) on the side of the blade. Most that I have are unique enough that if I wanted to buy another one, that would be very hard to do.

The names on mine are Nok Out, Mandarin, Plumero, Fisher, Peaso, Kabrand. One is a 5/8 flat point by the way.

Top Bottom