What's new

Drying and Oiling My First SR?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I received a new Classic Edge sharpened, shave-ready razor. My first shave-ready razor! Oh, happy days!

New.Gold.Dollar.1stSR.Shave.640.JPG

Of course I used it after work for a second of the day shave. Only on my cheeks and neck (some). Boy, talk about a nice feel.

Before the "shave" I did the cherry tomato test. It passed. I also examined the edge and the spine with my little 4X loupe by B&L. Nice.

Anyway, before the shave I ran hot tap water on it because the instructions said to, to get the razor oil off.

Afterwards, I rinsed the razor and then dried the blade with toilet paper except for the edge. I also dried inside the scales with toilet paper.

Then I put tiny droplets of razor oil (I bought a bottle from Classic Edge) on the blade and rubbed it around on all the metal using my finger to barely get it all the way out to the razor's edge.

So, what did I do wrong? Did I dry it wrong or go too far with the razor oil?

upload_2018-10-1_18-43-2.png

Obviously I'm an absolute newbie. I have shaved with a SR before but it was decades ago and I didn't know what I was doing and I sliced up my face and neck. I should have seen a plastic surgeon! Not kidding.

Today's experience was much, much better. Very comfortable for the little I did.

I want to get the water and oil and drying thing down pat. Any pointers are appreciated.

The instructions said not to strop the razor for the first two or three shaves. I have strops now, too, leather and linen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm a newbee too so don't fret. I think you did ok. I also dry the blade with a piece of toilet paper and go through the scales too. I make sure not to wet the hinge pin area. Once dry, I let it air dry some more for an hour and then I strop it and then apply oil (3in1 or rem oil) using my finger all the way to the edge. Paying close attention not to go over the edge backward, so far so good, no cuts. :) Been doing this for almost a year with good results. Keep at it.

Gold Dollars generally are not shave ready when you receive them. Whom did you get it from?

If you are going to be using an SR regularly, you do not need to re-oil the blade, it is more of a thing to do for longer term storage.

You may wish to get a microfiber cloth to wipe the blade off after use, then normal stropping should dry the blade fully.

I tend to agree with GearNoir but in humid climates it maybe prudent to add oil after every use. I learned this early on as I observed a razor that was brand new develop light rust after one day. Also do not store the razor in the bathroom, another lesson I learned the hard way; this was all before I stumbled upon B&B.

A few things...first, try to not get water in the hinge area. If you are shaving correctly you won't get water on the hinge or on the scales, so there should be no reason to go through the threading the toilet paper routine. After your shave, rinse the blade and then wipe carefully with a dry towel. You can dry the edge with a light stropping on leather, newspaper or linen. Five or six laps will do fine. Leave your SR out in the air, for example on your bureau or dresser...don't put it back in an air tight case...even if you only use it two or three times a week...it won't harm the blade. As a newbie I would strop on newspaper...lightly. As noted above there is no need to oil your blade unless it's going in long term storage or if you have very humid conditions. Enjoy your SR journey.

I bought a bottle with applicator felt for mineral oil. I wipe the blade with it after drying it with toilet paper. I then spread the oil with toilet paper. I don’t want finger oils or prints, if that blade should be long term dormant.

With oil in the toilet paper, I rub down the tang. I then go overboard by placing the blade in a box with silica gel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use oil. I'm not careful about where I get water either. After the shave I wipe the razor off with a towel (not the edge of the blade obviously).

It then gets stropped a few times to make sure the edge is dry. I don't keep my straight razors in the bathroom. I actually keep them in an old wooden cigar box. If you live in the Philippines maybe you have to worry about excessive humidity. Otherwise, just don't keep the razor in the bathroom and you should be fine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gold Dollars generally are not shave ready when you receive them. Whom did you get it from?

If you are going to be using an SR regularly, you do not need to re-oil the blade, it is more of a thing to do for longer term storage.

You may wish to get a microfiber cloth to wipe the blade off after use, then normal stropping should dry the blade fully.

Thanks.

I bought it from Classic Edge. Link.

Also have one, a GD800, in transit from WSP.

There's a price for the modification and the edge of course.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm a newbee too so don't fret. I think you did ok. I also dry the blade with a piece of toilet paper and go through the scales too. I make sure not to wet the hinge pin area. Once dry, I let it air dry some more for an hour and then I strop it and then apply oil (3in1 or rem oil) using my finger all the way to the edge. Paying close attention not to go over the edge backward, so far so good, no cuts. :) Been doing this for almost a year with good results. Keep at it.

Thanks. Some things are not so obvious, and I'm glad for all the pointers. Very reassuring.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I tend to agree with GearNoir but in humid climates it maybe prudent to add oil after every use. I learned this early on as I observed a razor that was brand new develop light rust after one day. Also do not store the razor in the bathroom, another lesson I learned the hard way; this was all before I stumbled upon B&B.

I live in a reasonably dry house, but a humid part of the county. I don't mind oiling at least for now. It is cheap and takes a few seconds, right?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A few things...first, try to not get water in the hinge area. If you are shaving correctly you won't get water on the hinge or on the scales, so there should be no reason to go through the threading the toilet paper routine. After your shave, rinse the blade and then wipe carefully with a dry towel. You can dry the edge with a light stropping on leather, newspaper or linen. Five or six laps will do fine. Leave your SR out in the air, for example on your bureau or dresser...don't put it back in an air tight case...even if you only use it two or three times a week...it won't harm the blade. As a newbie I would strop on newspaper...lightly. As noted above there is no need to oil your blade unless it's going in long term storage or if you have very humid conditions. Enjoy your SR journey.

Thanks.

Thank you.

I don't use oil. I'm not careful about where I get water either. After the shave I wipe the razor off with a towel (not the edge of the blade obviously).

It then gets stropped a few times to make sure the edge is dry. I don't keep my straight razors in the bathroom. I actually keep them in an old wooden cigar box. If you live in the Philippines maybe you have to worry about excessive humidity. Otherwise, just don't keep the razor in the bathroom and you should be fine.

A cigar box? Great idea.

It looks like there are various methods and ways to go, some climate based.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I bought a bottle with applicator felt for mineral oil. I wipe the blade with it after drying it with toilet paper. I then spread the oil with toilet paper. I don’t want finger oils or prints, if that blade should be long term dormant.

With oil in the toilet paper, I rub down the tang. I then go overboard by placing the blade in a box with silica gel.

Are there special razor boxes with silica gel?

Very interesting answers so far. Helpful, too, of course.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Some people use a humidor for cigars. I found a nice wooden cigar box on Ebay for $10 and lined the bottom with black felt.

I believe I have a very nice wooden cigar box. Probably way large for my current stuff (SR stuff), but you've given me a couple of ideas. Both might be good ones. I'll consider further.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Today I received a new Classic Edge sharpened, shave-ready razor. My first shave-ready razor! Oh, happy days!

View attachment 916719

Of course I used it after work for a second of the day shave. Only on my cheeks and neck (some). Boy, talk about a nice feel.

Before the "shave" I did the cherry tomato test. It passed. I also examined the edge and the spine with my little 4X loupe by B&L. Nice.

Anyway, before the shave I ran hot tap water on it because the instructions said to, to get the razor oil off.

Afterwards, I rinsed the razor and then dried the blade with toilet paper except for the edge. I also dried inside the scales with toilet paper.

Then I put tiny droplets of razor oil (I bought a bottle from Classic Edge) on the blade and rubbed it around on all the metal using my finger to barely get it all the way out to the razor's edge.

So, what did I do wrong? Did I dry it wrong or go too far with the razor oil?

View attachment 916738

Obviously I'm an absolute newbie. I have shaved with a SR before but it was decades ago and I didn't know what I was doing and I sliced up my face and neck. I should have seen a plastic surgeon! Not kidding.

Today's experience was much, much better. Very comfortable for the little I did.

I want to get the water and oil and drying thing down pat. Any pointers are appreciated.

The instructions said not to strop the razor for the first two or three shaves. I have strops now, too, leather and linen.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sounds like you got off to a good start. I don’t put oil on the blade. I put a bit on the pivot occasionally bit not often. The best thing is to not get water in the scales. Rather than rinsing the suds off the blade, I wipe the blade on a damp sponge. When I do rinse the blade under running water, I point the blade down then wipe it with a towel so water doesn’t run back into the pivot or scales. Also, I dry my shaving hand when it gets wet. When the shave is over, I dry the blade with a towel and strop it. Then I leave it open for half hour or so before storing it. If you prefer stropping just before you shave, strop it just a few laps after each shave to make certain the edge is dry. This is my way and I’m sure there are many others. As to stropping, you are going to start some time so may as well get to it. Should be done before every shave. In the beginning, just go slow and don’t take the spine off the leather! Keep the strop pulled rather tight. Too much slack and it will roll the edge. Also, use very light pressure - just a whisper. Too much pressure and you may roll the edge. It isn’t rocket science - just finesse. Just allow your speed to increase over time. Don’t force it; it will just happen all by itself. The rhythm will come. It is a subconscious thing. Consciousness is the enemy of stropping IMO.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sounds like you got off to a good start. I don’t put oil on the blade. I put a bit on the pivot occasionally bit not often. The best thing is to not get water in the scales. Rather than rinsing the suds off the blade, I wipe the blade on a damp sponge. When I do rinse the blade under running water, I point the blade down then wipe it with a towel so water doesn’t run back into the pivot or scales. Also, I dry my shaving hand when it gets wet. When the shave is over, I dry the blade with a towel and strop it. Then I leave it open for half hour or so before storing it. If you prefer stropping just before you shave, strop it just a few laps after each shave to make certain the edge is dry. This is my way and I’m sure there are many others. As to stropping, you are going to start some time so may as well get to it. Should be done before every shave. In the beginning, just go slow and don’t take the spine off the leather! Keep the strop pulled rather tight. Too much slack and it will roll the edge. Also, use very light pressure - just a whisper. Too much pressure and you may roll the edge. It isn’t rocket science - just finesse. Just allow your speed to increase over time. Don’t force it; it will just happen all by itself. The rhythm will come. It is a subconscious thing. Consciousness is the enemy of stropping IMO.

Very helpful to me. All the posts here have been helpful. There are so many important but small things to learn.

I began stropping my second GD, the 200, today. Kinda fun. I hope I didn't use too much pressure. I tried not to. We'll see soon enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If anything goes south, I can fix it for you (provided you don't drop it in the sink and break the blade)

Steve is the man and so generous. He’s held my hand through this process, given me a razor, and shared his supply sources. He is a friend.

I’ve been using cotton balls with Dawn and alcohol, drying the blade throughly with cotton t shirt. I place the razor in a wooden cabinet, and no longer put damp brushes in the same location.

Like others, the tang and scales never feel water, but I do prefer to rinse. I might go to a sponge.

Top Bottom