What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

But it was " no no no " to manual trans.
and the reason was " what if you had a heart attack, what would I do ?. The answer I gave was did you ever think about trying
to learn how to drive one....Nuf said.
be well,
Supercoop
Just get it. She will learn or she won't drive it. I finally did that in 2008 and not only did my wife learn, but now she prefers it and we got one for her daily driver.

A Toyota Corolla S. Manual with XM radio. A nice car and the average mpg in town is 31.

A # of years ago, I took a new 2003 Corolla S out for a test drive (SIL was thinking of buying)...I really liked the shift...nice, precise throws. Easy clutch pedal.

The first truck I drove was a manual and that's the one I learned on. I prefer an auto trans for city driving, just set it on drive and go.

The first truck I drove was a manual and that's the one I learned on. I prefer an auto trans for city driving, just set it on drive and go.
Even people in cities like Rome and Paris drive manuals. Why would you need an auto in American cities?

Even people in cities like Rome and Paris drive manuals. Why would you need an auto in American cities?

Traffic jams, gridlock. The car being a 'family' car and having to serve different members ...with varying driving ability.
That's what motivates many a person to go automatic from manual.

Fuel costs in North America have been /are generally cheaper than in Europe and standards are perceived to get better MPG than a similar car equipped with an automatic....so less fuel costs to run. Fuel costs have never been as much as a concern in North America...probably due to less cost...so North Americans don't find the need to have smaller engines and manual transmissions as much as others. My opinion, others may differ.

Back in the '50's and '60's most North American drag racing competitors used manual transmissions. Now the transmission used in drag racing is generally an automatic. Automatic equipped drag cars are generally quicker shifting, quicker launching, more consistent and quite durable.

Geez...when I think of it....F1 cars are automatic and many current supercars (Ferrari , Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.) are automatic.

I prefer standard transmissions, but I'm in the minority.

Last edited:
If you love in LA you drive automatic. Do you know what 2 hours of stop and go traffic a day will do to your mind in a manual.

Yes. I live in one of the busiest parts of Europe.

Fuel costs are expensive where you live, streets are narrow, dense populations everywhere, traffic jams are probably the norm. I know there a are a lot of positives to living in Europe, but I like the wide open spaces, comparatively reasonable fuel prices , way less people per square mile of Western Canada.

Each to his own...I suppose. BTW, I've been to various parts of Europe a number of times....great destination.

My wife and I are looking at a Mazda CX-5 for our next vehicle, one reason being it has a stick config. My last manual was a '97 Kia Sephia, which, technically, had a transmission. You wouldn't have known it driving up any kind of an incline...

Yes, I am sure that there are many advantages to living in the USA. But here is where my family, and me, live.

You cannot have everything.

I have driven manual transmission vehicles most of my driving years. I love the extra 'control' they give you while driving.

I just replaced my 15-year old Ford Ranger (MT) with a Nissan Frontier (MT), old habits--and loves--are hard to replace.

When I was learning to drive my parents had three cars, two of which had manual transmissions. One was a '67 Fairlane and the other was a '72 Maverick. Both had three on the tree shifters. They were both peppy little cars around town which I really enjoyed driving.

Very true. The new Corolla was one of just a few cars that had both manual and XM radio for under 30k.

Back in '73 I just graduated from University and to celebrate I bought my first new car. It was a '73 Toyota Corolla. It had the optional 1600 cc (OHV Hemi 4 cyl.), 4 speed standard, optional oversize tires and optional, front disc brakes.

That was it. It was a radio delete, no carpet (rubber floor)....stripper.

I paid $ 2,500 CAD for it and felt I'd been ripped off....as the model year before had been going for around $ 2,000 CAD base price.

Now you tell me that a Corolla is one of the few cars available with a manual transmission for under $30,000 USD !

In 41 years the Corolla has gone from around $ 2500 to $ 30,000. Talk about inflation. :blink:

I guess that's the way the Mercedes Benz.

Top Bottom