What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

In their defense, unlike the states, Prague drivers do not yield to pedestrians at crosswalks.

When in the States, don't assume that drivers yield to pedestrians in all places. It varies. I was walking in New York City once and entered a marked crosswalk the same way I would anywhere else. My friends stopped at the curb. I didn't know why they stopped until I almost got smashed by a taxi. Lesson learned: I don't belong in NYC.

my first three cars were manual transmissions, and I loved driving a manual. Unfortunately, my last few have been automatics. I miss it. When I get a little more financially independent, I'll buy a nice muscle car with a stick (I'm only 25 and still young in my career).

Recently picked up a new car with... manual transmission. Just couldn't bring myself to buy a CVT. Might have to with the next car but not this one.

In Israel you have separate licenses for manual and automatic so almost everyone learns to drive on stick but most of the cars are automatic. I still remember my driving instructor yelling at me after I stalled the car for the millionth time "can't you control that frigging left leg of yours!?!?".

I haven't touched a clutch for 10 years after I got the license. In California I once met a girl that said her car was "an MR2 spyder". I asked her "is it stick" and her reply was "dude! it's a sports car!". Even though I am not a gear head, in fact, I am not fund of driving at all, i ended up marrying her.
That car had a very unforgiving clutch. We had the pads replaced a year ago which made it much more easy to drive, at least for me.

So point #1 - the experience of driving a manual transmission varies considerably between cars, even of the same model, depending of the condition of the clutch. People drive it and get accustom to it... like a worn shoe that fits *you* perfectly. If you stall your friend's car - it doesn't necessarily reflect on you.

We are now in the Czech Republic and while we are waiting for the order of my wife's company car to come from VW, we are driving the company's loaner/beater 2007 Hyunadi Sonata which is also known around the office as "The Tractor" and as "The Mule" and bunch of other names. In fact it is not so bad, I have 3 safety seats side by side in the back and it runs smoothly enough, but the clutch pads are a mess. Well, I must have had something to do with it the first time I took it home, the whole street stank of burnt clutch.... but I did get used to it. Now that loaner had to be replaced and they gave us the other tractor (they had 2 apparently) which is also beat up and the clutch stalls on me, but at different places. Give me another week and I will figure it out.

While my wife used to be the driver in the family in the past 8 years, somehow I managed to come to better terms with this hyundai so I am driving it. I made it a goal to get the car ride to be a smooth as possible, and I don't just shift gears as soon as possible because the sudden acceleration stop rocks everyone backwards and forwards which is very annoying. What I do is let the car run at a steady speed for 2 more seconds before I change gears, as gently as possible - it helps a lot. One of the local cab companies shtick is that all the cabs are Audis. After one ride with them I swore I never get on those cabs again. Too sporty, and the drivers change gear like over caffeinated chain smokers... very edgy ride.

Point #2 - it takes time to get to a point when the ride is smooth for the passengers.

I call Prague as "2nd gear city". It is not a fun city to drive around, not as bad as Boston, but there are plenty of lights, poor visibility around corners and pedestrians that tend to break check you when you least expected them. In their defense, unlike the states, Prague drivers do not yield to pedestrians at crosswalks. I stay in 2nd most of the time because the periods where 3rd gear is warranted are very brief and that engine is not powerful enough to keep going at 3rd gear at slow speeds.
To be honest i am fed up with the clutch in the city. I had to parallel park yesterday, up hill in reverse, to a very tight spot, with a car packed...
Needless to say, the car we ordered is with automatic transmission.

Manual transmission does give you better control on the speed and should give you better gas millage. The new VW even have a 6th gear for extra gas saving and the clutch there is very, very smooth. But in the city? its a hassle.

There is a certain notion, especially in Europe, that manual transmission is cheaper to repair than automatic transmission. That very well may be true. However, that technology has been around for, what, 60 years now? most car makers have figured how to make automatic gear boxes that don't break down.
I had a 1986 Passat that 20 years later was falling apart (mainly due to my brother's shameful neglect) but never once did I have had problems with the automatic transmission. Provided you maintain it properly this should not be an issue.
On the other hand, one bad ride can mess up a clutch pad.

So if you love driving for the sake of driving and feel the need to control the car better then why not. By the same token, I like shaving with a straight razor - just for the sake of it.

For me, driving is getting from A to B as smoothly as possible. I don't get any satisfaction from the actual activity of driving, and manually changing gears during the ride does very little to enhance the experience for me.

If I can choose between auto and stick - I'd go for auto.

I think having an automatic is in your case, the best choice. It's important to go with one's preference.

Yes, but I think that buying an automatic in the Czech Republic automatically means buying a luxury car, so finances may dictate a manual there.

I love my 6 speed manual gearbox!

I have always had a 5 speed. The new car is my first 6 speed. Takes some getting used to since the ratios are different. I don't really see the point of 6th anyway. The difference between 5 and 6 is not that great, the ratios are so close.

I have always had a 5 speed. The new car is my first 6 speed. Takes some getting used to since the ratios are different. I don't really see the point of 6th anyway. The difference between 5 and 6 is not that great, the ratios are so close.

It seems most common that instead of adding either a lower low or higher high, when manufacturers change from 5 to 6 they push the ratios closer together. It's for the racer-wannabes. It's too bad, because most manuals seem to lack an appropriate highway gear. I had a 2008 model 5 speed in which I hit 5th by 30mph; they offered a 6 speed but its 6th was the same as my 5th. Since I only got 6mph out of each gear on average, I wanted an additional 7 gears for daily driving. (Yes, I know that's not practical for a million reasons, including diminishing returns on additional gears.)

The reason they do that is that if they leave the 5 ratios the way they were and give you a real highway gear, reviewers and potential buyers will complain that it's underpowered on the highway. Many manual drivers are unwilling to shift, as odd as that sounds; they want tons of power available with just their right foot (these people should drive automatic, IMO) but they are unwilling to drive around in 5th if a 6th is there...meanwhile, those of us who prefer not driving around all buzzy don't have the ability to just choose another gear and ignore what the other type would do.

It seems most common that instead of adding either a lower low or higher high, when manufacturers change from 5 to 6 they push the ratios closer together. It's for the racer-wannabes. It's too bad, because most manuals seem to lack an appropriate highway gear. I had a 2008 model 5 speed in which I hit 5th by 30mph; they offered a 6 speed but its 6th was the same as my 5th. Since I only got 6mph out of each gear on average, I wanted an additional 7 gears for daily driving. (Yes, I know that's not practical for a million reasons, including diminishing returns on additional gears.)

The reason they do that is that if they leave the 5 ratios the way they were and give you a real highway gear, reviewers and potential buyers will complain that it's underpowered on the highway. Many manual drivers are unwilling to shift, as odd as that sounds; they want tons of power available with just their right foot (these people should drive automatic, IMO) but they are unwilling to drive around in 5th if a 6th is there...meanwhile, those of us who prefer not driving around all buzzy don't have the ability to just choose another gear and ignore what the other type would do.

Well said.

Growing up there was never an automatic transmission vehicle in our household. I bought my first car at 15, it was a Mazda rx7 and yes, manual transmission. I really wanted the car, I had to learn. My parents were the kind who thought you needed to learn on a manual so you know how to drive one, then the choice was yours. I did not own a vehicle with an automatic transmission until I was in my mid twenties and could afford a second car for cruising/racing on the weekends.

I have almost always had vehicles with a manual transmission. I had a three year period where my primary vehicle was an automatic and we have one vehicle now that has an auto trans, that is only because it is a truck for towing our 5th wheel. But when I am not towing, I do find that it is nice to have the right hand free to reach around and smack a kid occasionally. : )

I grew up on a farm in the 70's and 80's... I could drive a manual car by the time I was 9, and the farm equipment by 12 (finally got tall enough to hit the pedals while sitting.. barely). I've always preferred manual shift, but didn't always have the choice while looking at used cars in my price range. Once I go to where I could be pickier, it's been manuals ever since. I don't think automatics give you any real nice driving experience. It's drop in gear and go... I also wonder if that causes drivers to lose focus on things like.. you know.. driving? Seems to me, if I have to pay at least a little attention to the hands and feet part of driving more like a manual, my attention stays a bit more focused on all aspects of driving.

I drive both regularly, but my manual is a lot more fun to drive even though it's only a 4 cylinder. You really get a better feel for the car, and feel more like an active driver than a pedal pusher. And the cost of replacing a clutch is much more digestible than replacing an auto transmission. Most new cars don't offer a manual option anymore. Some will have the flappy-paddle system, which is a kind of compromise, but a full stick shift is becoming a rarity.

I must be in the same age bracket as you because along with the senior aches and pains we share I too miss my stick vehicles.
Just last week I bought and had a bit of trouble convincing the wife that I'm not too old to buy a Nissan Xterra 4wd. This is the
last year for that truck and yes, she pointed out the poor mpg but who really cares ?? But it was " no no no " to manual trans.
and the reason was " what if you had a heart attack, what would I do ?. The answer I gave was did you ever think about trying
to learn how to drive one....Nuf said.
be well,
Supercoop

My three cars prior were all manuals, but I was driving longer distances back then. When I switched jobs and had to deal with day to day NJ traffic, I pretty much got fed up and my current vehicle is automatic.

I learned to drive with my grandpa's 66 Ford F100 with 3 on the tree. I wish they still made a 3 on the tree, its the ultimate anti-theft device. I have a 1972 Ford F250 and a 1971 Jeep CJ5 both have manual transmissions. My wife's car is automatic, I hate it. I have tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual transmission but she don't want to learn. That's OK it just means she can't drive my cars, not that she would anyways, she calls my babies junk yard specials. They both run great just not the shiniest things in the world.

I drive a Kia rio, 2008, bought it brand new, and was thrilled that it is a 5 speed with crank roll up windows and no power locks, I can very well do these things myself, when my then 7 year old daughter tried the crank window, she was thrilled as she had never seen this, the opposite of how I grew up!!!

Top Bottom